AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a full Diva set up 6.1 C.3 2.1 I have a chance to pick up a pair of diamond 8.2 fairly cheap.I have a Lexicon DC-2 but only using 5.1 and not 7.1 i have amps but no speakers. I was checking out the Wharfedale website and it says there is a German silk dome tweeter in the 8.2 and Woven Kevlar 6.5 Mid Bass driver.

By looking at pics they look like the tweets in the Diva without the houseing around it. My question is does anybody have any idea if they are the same tweeter or will timber be close enough to get the job done for suuround rears im going to keep the 2.1s to the sides.

I would do another set of 2.1 to the rears but i dont want to wait and i picked my first pair up as b-stock and got them cheap but they dont have any b stock at the time for the 2.1 at least they did not when i spoke to russel. I attached a pic of the 8.2s. Any help would be great!!!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I would be interested in seeing that pic. There has been speculation in the past that Wharfdale is using Hi Vi drivers, but they are not, at least not in the Pacific line. If it is a fabric dome tweeter, I'll bet it is a good enough match for surrounds to get away with it.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Those drivers look very similar to the Hi Vi ones. Interesting. If they are the same, even if they are voiced differently, I think for surrounds they will be OK. There is more to timbre matching than just using the same drivers, and if they were mains or the center, I would be more concerned.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i just purchaced them even if they dont work I will use them on my computer i just picked them up and a pair of sanus stands for 225.00 delivered. I am very currious to se if the driver is the same i will open one and post a pic on the board when i recieve them.The speakers are only amonth old. Thanks for the info Ken

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Good luck. Let us know.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Well maybe I'm too late here, but you can look at a variety of tweeters and drivers at www.partsexpress.com including the TN25 and TN28 from HIVI. I don't think it is the same, based only on the pictures and looking at the mounting flange, but I could be wrong.

Good Luck

Bruce

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey, I have a friend looking to buy some bookshelf speakers, and he would like to know how the 2.1's compare to the similar ones by wharfedale...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brucer
Well maybe I'm too late here, but you can look at a variety of tweeters and drivers at www.partsexpress.com including the TN25 and TN28 from HIVI. I don't think it is the same, based only on the pictures and looking at the mounting flange, but I could be wrong.

Good Luck

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

The picture shows a tweeter flush-mounted on the baffle. Isn't the TN28 a top-mounted tweeter?

Joe.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Joe-

Yes the TN28 (ie 28mm) is top mount, but the wharfedale Diam 8.2 uses a 1"(ie 25mm) ie TN25 'type' ???? flush mount. But if you look at the TN25, the square mounting flange on it's face doesn't seem to lend itself to the wharfedale. This is strictly a guess on my part. There are many other brands of tweeters that one could look at on that site as well.

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
488 Posts
without reading the other posts,

i would say that the swansa diva line and wharedale have nothing in common other than they both are aquired by one form of monitary exchange.

--- i have read SO many bad reviews about the wharedale speakers. i don't mean to poo on anyone, but i have yet to read a post on the swans like i have the wharfdales.

---from what i have read they are HORRIBLE speakers!

--diva is a very safe choice. at least in the possible *can't hear them before you buy them world*.

-b

·
Registered
674 Posts
Where have you found these bad wharfedale reviews??

·
Registered
488 Posts
sorry for the late reply glue,

when i was doing research hunting for my swans, i came across many reviews that spoke very negatively about the wharfdales. (?)

- sorry i am unable to deliver any url's, but i distinctly remember many bad reviews on them.

-b

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gluegun
Where have you found these bad wharfedale reviews??
Go to Ecoustics.com and do a search on Wharfedale. The current Diamond 8 series has gotten glowing reviews in the British press as an excellent budget speaker. Their Emerald and Pacific lines are well regarded as well.

Unfortunately, Wharfedales previous owners did a pretty thorough job of damaging the rep of what was considered a maker of high quality speakers.Most of the negative comments regarding Wharfedale that I have read seem to be by consumers who bought during this era.The fact that a ton of this shoddy merchandise was dumpted on the U.S market (through Ubid) during the change of ownership really didn't help matters either.

Their new owner, IAG , seems to be serious about rebuilding the brand, and based on the above offerings, they may actually succeed.The new Diamond 8 is evidently a very good speaker, the old diamond 7(previous owner) definitely was not.

A friend mine has a pair of the Emerald 97's that he bought from Amazon recentlyfor $599.This is a very good music (acoustic,jazz,classical) speaker that I think is pretty amazing considering the price.Very laid back and musical.It ain't no Diva, though!

:D

Hope this helps put things in perspective for you all.

Michael

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I've never read any negative reviews on Wharfedales, but I have personally owned a pair of Emerald 97's and they were very good speakers for classical music. They needed some good power to drive since they were only rated at 86dB. For the 2 years that I ran them, they were good for classical, new age and jazz. Not real strong for rock, but not bad. The fabric tweeter was very mellow, laid back and sweet sounding esp. w/ violin concertos. Music through these exuded emotion. Imaging was good. With complex music they did get overwhelmed. When I replaced these with Def Tech BP floorstanders, I immediately appreciated the improvement in soundstage depth and width as well as the huge improvement for HT usage but also mourned the loss of a speaker that was able to transfer musical emotion as well as the Wharfedales did. I also missed the real rosewood veneer. While the Wharfedales were not the best speakers for all applications, I certainly did not think the pair I owned was horrible especially since I got mine for under $400/pair. And I'm not the only one with this opinion. Go to Audioreview yourself and check out the other positive reviews. If you can't afford to part with more than $400 for speakers and you like jazz or classical music, I would recommend the Emeralds without hesitation!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.