Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diva Fans,

I recently received my 4.1, C3, and 2.1s. They sounded great out of the box and are sounding better everyday.

I am driving them with the Onkyo 600. There have been a lot of messages going around saying the Onkyo is underpowered. While I am not completely convinced it's underpowered, it does make me nervous considering my substantial investment in these great looking and sounding speakers. Therefore, I am considering exchanging it for a higher end model, but I am not sure what.

So now for the poll,

1. I would like to know what Divas you own

2. What you use to power them

3. Are you satisfied with your receiver or are you considering upgrading in the near future, if so why, and what models are you considering.

Thanks so much for everyones input!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chris,

I have the 2.1's, a C3, and 4 surrounds (Morel Soundspot SA-2's) driven by and Onkyo TX-DS898. I also have a Hsu VTF-2, but since it is powered and not "driven" by the amp is doesn't really make a difference for your poll.

I've never had trouble driving them. In fact 80 something (85?) is reference level on the receiver and I'm rarely listening at anything over 60. Even that is pretty loud.

Brian

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you're happy with the Onkyo maybe just adding an amp and using the 600 as a preamp/processor will do the trick.

I have the 6.1, c3, and 4.1s and am powering the front three channels with an Acurus 200x3 with a Denon 3300 as a pre/pro and for the rear channels. I upgraded from the Wharfdale Modus 1.6s and while I was using the Wharfdales I added the Acurus 200x3. There was an obviously noticeable inprovement in musicality from the Wharfdales throughout the audio spectrum. Everything just sounded better. Of course the Divas were an even bigger inprovement.

The are many threads here that could give more opinions on using a receiver as a pre/pro.

Terry

·
Registered
674 Posts
M200's.... they are powering themselves....and I'm happy!

:)

·
Registered
488 Posts
chris.

no factory "reciever" is going to give you *that* really good sound to the speakers.

in order to get "real" sound going, you need to get an amp.

sorry. but after many years of thinking *i* had enough power, i was horribly wrong. my super killer 475 watt reciever was great, but after adding an adcom gfa 555 amp, i had to take out my e.q. for it no longer made a difference in sound. --- in other words, the amplifier helped push the highs and lows that i was faking with my e.q.

you can get cheap amps out there for squat. like my adcom gfa555 amp. i got it for $300. on ebay.

i recently got another pair of diva 6.1's and will be buying another adcom amp to drive them.

these are fighting words, but i seriously don't think there's a single reciever/pre out there that has enopugh nuts.

--- and i'd be willing to argue about it. :)

once i employed my "separate" amp, there was NO comparison. the extra power was what all speakers want, and love! period.

even with the divas claim that they will run on watch batteries, yeah, they'll run, but not like they can!

so no offense on what ever "reciever" you have, it's just a platter for feeding things through. get your precious speakers some juice, you'll thank me.

:)

--brandon

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Brandon, love your posts...always funny :D

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Diva 6.1s, 2 pair of 2.1s, and a C3 being powered by a Denon 5803. I think it sounds great!

Brandon,

I also have an old Adcom GFA-555 laying around that I'm not using. Maybe one of these days I'll hook the 6.1s to it and see if there's a noticable difference in sound over my Denon.

Ken

·
Registered
488 Posts
ken,

you really should!!!

i was pretty blown away at the difference! ;)

----(i was kinda grumpy on that post yesterday -- sorry for the aggressive post. :)

-b

·
Registered
403 Posts
1. Diva 6.1 front. Diva 6.1 rear, Diva C3 Center

2. Sony ES Pre/Pro with ADA 2160 (160 watts x 6 Channels) outboard Amp

3. I'm satisfied for now, but that Outlaw Prepro might be the next step up for some newer features.

If there is any compromise made in todays high end receivers it's the Amps inside. There just simply isn't enough room for the huge Caps and Toroidals that outboard amps posess. Not to mention the heat issues. I think bang for the buck the next best move in your system will be a good quality outboard amp. The Pre/Pro sections in todays high end receivers are excellent quality. Especially considering what you get for the $$$ compared to separates. For many folks a good receiver used as a Pre/Pro in combination with a nice outboard amp is all they ever need to be completely satisfied with their system.

·
Registered
488 Posts
bareyb,

i bought another set of divas to set up my music like your 6.1 in fronts AND rears!!!

i can't wait to hear it!

your set up must sound incredible!

thanks-brandon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies.

It looks like my best bet is to get a receiver with preouts so that in the future I can add an external amp.

I have narrowed down my decision to the Denon 3802 or the HK 520. I need to keep the cost below $800.

Anyone have any strong feelings one way or another with these receivers?

Thanks

Chris Sharp

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've got the Diva's all the way around with the 6.1's for mains. I run them with a Denon 5800 and have always thought it sounded great. Then one day I decided to try them on my sub amp (2400 watt QSC.) HOLY SHIZZ! Humongus increase in sound. I am now in the market for a high wattage high end amp to run just my mains (maybe my center as well.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cornorstone21

Quote:
I would like to know why you tossed out the Onkyo 797
I haven't completey thrown out the Onkyo 797. But all the problems with the ticking have me worried. I guess I could get it from CC and get the service plan to be safe.

I returned my Onkyo 600 today at CC and now have nothing...so I really need to make a decision ASAP. I really didn't want to spend more than $500 for a receiver, but it looks like I don't have much choice. The speakers are incredible and I want some clean quality watts driving them.

I listened to the HK at CC this weekend, and I have to say I probably prefer the sound of the Onkyo to the HK. That and I like the look and the remote of onkyo's better. So throw out the HK.

I haven't heard the Denon 3802, but reading all the praise makes me think it would be a great choice.

Here's what I want:

clean, accurate power

DPLII

at least 3 optical inputs

a good remote would be nice

preouts

I don't need the 6th or 7th channel now...and probably won't need it until it's time to upgrade again anyway (speaker won't fit in the back of my room)

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
290 Posts
6.1 mains, C3, 4.1 sides & 2.1 rears...powered by B&K 307. I really enjoy this combo. No separates in the near future. The B&K amplification is great and their front end stuff is outstanding as well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
1) Diva 6.1 fronts, Diva 6.1 rears, Diva C3 Center

2) Denon 3802

3) The 3802 and the Divas sound tremendous, much better than anything I personally have ever owned, or even listened to for any length, for that matter. But unfortunately, I now have the fever, and I just bought the Rotel RMB-1095 5 channel power amp to add to the mix. My dealer should have it for me sometime this week. Anybody found the bottom of this money pit yet?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Baryb and Howie,

Why did you go with 6.1 all around? (I know because you could right?) I guess I had not concidered four 6.1's but something like 6.1 fronts, 4.1 sides and perhaps 2.1 or R3's (but I beleive they are rated 4 ohm) rear and of course a C3 and probably SVS CS+ 16-46 Sub or two. I am lucky in the fact that I have a 25' x 20' room to be convereted soon. (Please don't tell my wife yet!).......$$$Man

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.