AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up surround sound for the new great room, but my wife has forbidden the use of floor standing speakers. In fact, her new wall unit arrives in a few weeks. I'm considering the following set up: 2.1s for fronts, C3, R3, possibly 2.1s for the back if I go with a 7.1 instead of a 5.1 setup. Here are my questions:

(1) Will the 2.1 suffer if placed on a shelf in the wall unit on its side?? (The spots for speakers are not tall enough to accommodate the speaker standing up straight).

(2) Can the R3 be mounted effectively on a stand?? (One side wall is all windows, so wall mounting is impossible).

(3) Do the relatively small 2.1s match up well with the C3?? (I ask because the C3 by all accounts matches the huge 6.1s very well, so I wonder if it is too large to share the front stage with the 2.1s instead).

Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Blue,

I don't know if you'll have much success mounting the 2.1's on their sides because the sides are curved. The R'3 can be mounted on stands , look here . Perhaps Max can help out if he sees this.Due to the fact that the 2.1 and the C3 use the same driver config with the exception of the midrange on the C3 I would think that your front soundstage would be seemless.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sean, I feel kind of stupid for asking now that I look at the picture and notice that the side of the 2.1 is obviously curved. Thanks for responding so tactfully. When the wall unit arrives, I hope to find that there are spots that are adjustable in height where I can place the speakers -- that way I can expand it enough to fit the 2.1s right side up. (I'd know whether the shelves are adjustable if I'd ever seen the wall unit, but my wife picked it out without me).

I'd still love to hear from anyone with first hand experience with how well the smaller 2.1s integrate with the C3 across the front soundstage for movies.

Thanks again, Sean.

Blue

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sean, I own the 4.1 set up and I think the 2.1 sound great.I put them in my son's room and played music through them for a week or so.I just lent them to a friend for a week until his 6.1 set up arrives.They are a great sounding speaker(2.1) and should sound great with the C-3.My friend and I traded(my 2.1 for his R-3) for a week and I think that the 2.1 sounded better.I hear that the R-3 is wired out of phase , so that might account for the sound difference.You won't be disappointed with your choice and once your wife gets used to them being around and hearing them I think she will begin to appreciate them more.Michael

·
Registered
136 Posts
No problem Blue. I really ought to throw my 2.1's up front sometime soon just for fun(6.1's up front). The 2.1 really is a great speaker, sounds great with multi channel music as well as dvd.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
If you put the 2.1's up front, you'll be amazed. I couldn't believe the sound those little guys put out. If you close your eyes and listen, they fill the whole room. The sound stage is much larger and deeper than you would expect from a $400.00 pair of speakers, and the detail and imaging is superb.

The R3's are adaptive dipoles, but not mirrored pairs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.