AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Been awhile since I have posted to the board.

I currently have a pair of Diva 5.1's, I called AV123 a few weeks ago to inquire about a C3 and rears. To my chagrin Sean told me there have been some changes in the last few months. The roll out of the Rocket. We discussed my situation and have come up with a solution that will satisfy me.

I am thinking of picking up the 750's and Bigfoot for the front. Then I will move the Diva 5.1's to the rear. This will save me some change....well not really as I need a sub also.

Basically I am wondering if anyone is using a Rocket , Diva combo...Based on what you have heard from these two speakers what should be my concerns with this setup?

Thanks

Walt

·
Registered
799 Posts
Walt, that will be heck of a system. Using the 5.1's as rear/surround should give you near fullrange all the way around while minimize any timbre mismatch you may encounter if you were to use them up front with the Rockets. Have fun & welcome back to the forum.

PF

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, essentially I will have the Rocket 0 package. WIth less current out of pocket cost woo hoo! It will be interesting to see how the Diva's which are described as "laid back" will complement the "more forward" Rocket's.

Thanks for the welcome back PMF. I guess this teaches me that I can't stay away for months at a time.

I would love to hear from others on this question.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Should be a great setup for home theater. I wouldn't personally want it for multi-channel music, but then I prefer 2-channel audio anyways. The only other point of concern may be pans from the front to rear soundstage and vice versa. Should still be a great setup and definitely worth a try before deciding if you want to replace the 5.1's too.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Give the head guy sometime to get through the threads. It gets pretty crowded with the traffic around here. Russ, you got a ceremony to attend to here.

So should we be looking forward to seeing some 'Divets' soon. :D

Sorry but couldn't help.

PF

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Hmmm.... I think we may need some new dogma for the merging of religions here. :)

I used my 2.1's in the rear for for awhile when my Rocket 250's were loaned out. The 5.1's should be killer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm surprised by the responses here. I would think that the different tweeters would create quite a difference in sound between the Divas and Rockets. If not, this would give me an interesting upgrade path should I choose to slowly exchange my Divas for Rockets.

So, just to be clear: those of you saying "no problem" have heard this particular combo and do not perceive a noticeable difference in sound? And does this apply to all applications, including "aggressive" SACD/DVD-A multichannel tracks where discrete instruments are mixed into the rear channels (not merely "ambience")?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Rich,

In my case, I'm ONLY talking about the rears for HT, and not for hi rez formats. I would not recommend mismatching them along the front, or for DVDA or SACD applications.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rt297
Rich,

In my case, I'm ONLY talking about the rears for HT, and not for hi rez formats. I would not recommend mismatching them along the front, or for DVDA or SACD applications.
I have to admit when contemplating this setup I think of the rears as simply driving the ambient sounds in a movie soundtrack. I could certainly see when in SACD/DVDA you would hear a difference with 2 different speakers. However for my personal use, I haven't ventured into SACD or DVDA. I generally prefer 2 channel audio but maybe I need to check it out, I don't want to miss the fun.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Walt,

My usage is 80% music, and 20% HT, and I have always been a 2 channel guy. However with the advent of PL2, I am coming around to the dark side. PL2 and L7 are great surround formats, and start to grow on you if you give them a chance. DVDA and SACD bump the performance a considerable notch.

The blue laser technology that has finally been stabilized after 20 years of effort will give us a generic hi rez solution that all the software suppliers should cooperate on. It may be available in as little as a year or so from now.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Rich, even with the newer multi-channel musics unless you have a recording where an instrument or voice goes around and pan through all 5 channels and you happen to be able to turn your head simultaneously to match the sound dead on (no reflection to contaminate the sound) then you may be able to hear that bit of difference b/w the Vifa & HiVi tweeters. Otherwise given them both being non-metallic and coupled with metal-alloy woofers I say they are pretty well-matched despite the difference in heritage.

PF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.