AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you compare Diva's 6.1 to NHT VT2.4's? If both could be gotten around the same price, which would be a better deal. For 2 channel as well as HT?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Static,

I wasn't going to respond to your post hoping that someone more qualified would. I did audition one model NHT when I was looking at speakers. I'm afraid I didn't get the model number, but it was a floorstander that was done in shiny black and toed in by NHT. In other words, the cabinet itself was angled. Is this the model you are interested in? Of all the speakers I auditioned, I least liked the Klipschs and NHT's because I felt they were too bright and fatigued my ears too easily. This is not to say I thought they were not good speakers, because they are. They just weren't for me. The age old auditioning problems applied here, although I thought my dealers set up was fairly good. The A/B comparisions I did with the NHT's were with the B&W N803's and Paradigm Reference 100's. I liked both these speakers better with (to Me) the B&W being better for music and the Paradigm being better for HT. All three brands were being run through a Rotel receiver. The problem arises when the Divas enter the picture because there is no way to run an A/B comparison, and frankly I don't want to. The Diva's to me are so good that I don't want to start comparing them to other speakers that are probably in the same ballpark. Sonic memory is short if you can't A/B the comparable products and I love my Divas, so I'm not going to worry about it. Also I wouldn't have missed out on the Diva "Thing" It's been a lot of fun, and you have a lot of support. The really awesome thing is that after all this time, There has been almost unanimous satisfaction with them. There was a thread up practically begging someone to come forward who had a bad experience with the Divas, and not one single post showed up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am very familair with the VT2.4's. These are great speakers, however, they are very power hungry (6 ohms to boot 88 db sensitivity) IMO a separate multichannel amp is a must. The VT 1.4 on the other hand are much easier (and smaller) to drive. They like the 2.4 put out a very wide sound stage. they also have the rear firing speakers built in that can be deactivated with the front switch. The speakers that RT297 was referring to are not from the Home Theater Line but from the Music series which is of course a different line. The Music Series have the 21 degree cut in the front.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rt297,

I heard the B&W N803's and Paradigm Reference 100's, and according to my ears the NHT VT2.4's put a bigger smile on my face. The only down side is their appetite, they need lots of power in order to wake them up. But once they are awake you will be hard pressed to find speakers in this price range to compete. They are great speakers.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Static,

Apparently from Video Joe's post, the speaker I described is not the one you are interested in anyway. The Paragigms from all reports also suck up all the juice in sight. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Good Luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Static,

If the 2.4's caught your ear, try an audition of the 1.4 with

SubTwo subwoofer. An amazing combo, and within a $100 or so

of the 2.4's if you shop or are dedicated to a dealer. Try facing the woofers inward, tweeters inboard, speakers a little further

apart than usual. It may suck in your room or the showroom, but may also shine! If you buy them, foam ring the tweeter or foam strip it like the 2.4's. About amps to go with, they will work with bigger receivers, (100w+), but this speaker will reward you

richly for stepping up in electronics. I can recommend the Parasound Hca-1205, Cinepro 2K5 (yes, they handle it gracefully).

But for pure magic the Sherbourn 5/1500 ( 400w 4 ohm, 5 monoblocks on 1 chassis) is the 1.4's soulmate. A must hear regardless of final speaker decision. Best value in amplifiers out there by far.(opinion).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stasis,

I have done side by side comparisons with the vt1.4's and vt2.4's. The 1.4's are wonderful speakers, but I like the extra bite of fullness the 2.4's provide.

I just purchased the 2.4's and I am driving them with a B&K 7270, with is 200w. These babies love power.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Static,

The power hungry nature of the NHT VT towers has much to do with the fact they are a full range speaker, requiring more total power from the amplifier/reciever. I have used the 2.x series NHT speakers to great success in many situations, and many with recievers. The option you may be overlooking is to use 3 of the VS-2.4 satellites with a healthy sub like the NHT SubTwo. The SubTwo is one of my preffered retail subwoofers in the price range, or of course you could go with the bang for buck SVS option.

Point being, by relieving your amplifier of bass duty everything will sound better, including your center channel as the power supply will be under much less stress. The key to making the VS-2.4 sats sound great in this configuration will be getting an appropriately sized and capable subwoofer. A single, or dual SubTwo's would be a very nice solution if you wanted to stay with NHT.

Good luck,

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hi,

I think you would be very happy with the NHT spkrs the 2.4s or the 1.4s, i also know that if you really want to get a sweat sounding system hook it up the the cinepro 2k5 and you would be amazed with the sound.

I believe video joe knows what he's talking about and might know where you can get a good deal on both items. you should send him a personal message.

good luck in your search!

carlos

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Along with my vt2.4's up front, I am running vs2.4's center and rears. My future plans include a sub. I concidering SVS. It will be a little while B4 I make the sub purchase.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.