AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all 5.1 and 6.1 users, why did you buy the ones you bought? I have my fronts set on small and have 2- 20-39CS SVS subwoofers in my system. If I set my fronts to large my Pioneer Elite receiver does not pass the bass signals to the subs in stereo mode. So I leave them on small so I get the use of my subwoofers for music and movies. Will the 6.1's be overkill if the crossover is set at 80 ( the lowest my receiver will go) or do I want the bigger mains with my set-up? Or are the 5.1's sufficient because of my current setup? Thanks for any advice, especially from those at **********.

Mike

·
Registered
799 Posts
Mike, if you are comfortable with your current setup the 5.1's should be more than enough to transition the sub 80 signals to the SVS's. Btw, check to see if they still have the bargain vinyl models Walt got that is if looks isn't top of your list.

For some of us not wanting to use SW in music the 6.1's will do an admirable job and that's probably why your Pioneer doesn't associate 'large' setting with the SW in stereo.

PF

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PF,

Thanks for your advice. I think I will try and go for the 6.1 summer deal on ********** and get the free C3. I wasn't planning on buying the surrounds but my wife said since they had a 30-day money back guarantee that I should give the deal a try. I do have some concerns about the shielding of the C3 as I have a direct view TV and the C3 will set on a shelf about 3 inches above the TV. I could move the shelf up and tick off the wife but I will give it a try and see what happens. I will have to play around with my settings to see if I prefer large or small with music and movies. Are these speakers touchy as far as positioning? The left speaker will be right in front of my 2 SVS subs. The fronts will be about 9-10 feet apart and toed in slightly. Will this work okay? Any other comments before I take the plunge??

Mike

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't have any significant placement problem with the 6.1's but others have reported shielding issue so you may want to make sure you have ample room on the sides for them to move away in case that happens. See if Joel get to correct his problem with the C3 for that may be something you have to deal with instead of the 6.1's given the limited upward (or downward) space people usually have plus your direct view TV.

PF

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. I read on the ********** website that the C3 was shielded but I'm not sure after reading some of the posts here on the forum. I will be in contact with ********** when and if I buy them so I will find out for sure then.

Mike

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Pride9,

I went with the 6.1's for several reasons. One it leaves you with every option as a full range speaker, and secondly, you'll never have to look back. I hate it when I start playing "what if." Thirdly, for a long term investment like this that brings so much enjoyment to you and probably your family as well, there really isn't much difference in price.

I'm a little suprised at the shielding issue that Joel is having. I have my C3 on top of my RPTV and have had no problems, but it may only show up with direct view. I have also moved my 6.1's right up to the TV to check for another member, and likewise had no problem. My Mits has developed the dreaded sag though. I just noticed it, so I guess I will have to find a remedy.:mad:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Mr.9,

I've got the 6.1's so I can't comment on the 5.1's, BUT I really really like the midrange driver on the 6.1 (which is the only model that has it). It's so sweet and full. Female vocalists sound especially great.

I also have dual 20-39's and the subs are behind the left 6.1. It probably does something to the sound, but it sounds fine to me as my room has all sorts of other reflections and what not, it's the least of my problems :)

I always run all the speakers "small" with the subs on (the SVS integrate seamlessly!), but today, while doing a demo for another AVS forum member, I ran the 6.1's large w/o the subs and I was totally amazed at the extention the 6.1's were capable of. I never even tried it before. We had the floor rumbling. Really cool stuff.

Lastly, I'm in Russ' camp. No friggin 'what if's' for me. 6.1's all the way! FYI, I have the C3 and 2.1 rears. The C3 just plain kicks ass and the 2.1's are amazing for the size. I hooked up the 2.1's as mains and was quite impressed with the full sound and extention these little guys can put out.

Have fun with your new speakers!

Sean

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I've tried my 2.1's up front as well and couldn't believe how good they sounded. The soundstage is as wide as the 6.1's. I have never heard the 4.1's or 5.1's, but if I couldn't have the 6.1's, I would probably skip the 5.1's and 4.1's and go straight to the 2's for mains.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sean and Russ,

Thanks for the comments. I think the shielding problems were on direct view TV's which is what I have so it does concern me. And you've both convinced me that the 6.1's are the way to go, especially with the summer special at **********. I guess I will place my order tomorrow and trust all of you guys are not leading me astray. Isn't this forum great? Russ, I emailed you about coming down but I won't have to now and with the money I'm saving I may just go with the 2-channel Cinepro amp to drive the 6.1's and save up for a good 5-channel amp later when I go to a 7.1 set up. Thanks to all who responded to my questions and concerns.

Mike

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Pride9,

Sorry, I just went back and read that e-mail. Too bad you won't need to come by. If you come down to Tucson to get the Cinepro, you could always swing by and demo it:D. BTW, I hope Wilson's Audio treats you ok. I've found them to be polite but a little haughty. If they had been a little more accommodating, I would have B&W N803's now instead of my Diva's, so In owe them one for that.

BTW, good choice on the 6.1's. They are DEFINITELY the way to go. Say hi to Russell at AV if you order through him.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Russ,

Thanks for the heads up on Wilson Audio. I may just call and talk to them and see how they are on the phone before I take a trip down there. It may be just as easy for me to order from Cinepro directly. If I do come down there I will be glad to bring the amp by and see how it sounds on your broken in 6.1's. Unfortunately, the amp will have to wait till March now that I'm buying the speakers. If your ever up this way shoot me an email and you can come by for a visit.

Mike

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I may take you up on that. I would love to see those dual SVS's in actiojn as well.

Good Luck, and let us know when you get the Diva's and what you think.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Pride9,

I agree w/ pmf, Sean & Russ regarding getting the 5.1 or 6.1. Go for the best. If I have the room for floorstanding speakers, I would go for the 6.1 too. The kevlar midrange looks really cool :)

As of the shielding issue, I was able to try moving around the C3 on top of my cabinet. I found that if I have the C3 placed slightly behind the TV, the shielding issue is minimized (barely noticeable). I was having the shielding issue earlier because I put the C3 slightly in front of the TV. I think if you can put the C3 exactly on top or slightly behind your TV, you would be ok. Is this how it is w/ all center speaker, or just particular to the C3?

Joel

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Joel,

I have not had a problem with my current Energy center speaker the AC300 and the problem should only exist with those speakers which are not shielded. I'm glad to hear you worked your situation out. Let me know how you like your system.

Mike

·
Registered
393 Posts
rt297,

I was interested in your comment that if you couldn't have the 6.1's that you would bypass the 4.1's and 5.1's for the 2.1's. Could you elaborate on that a little please.

Thanks, Craig

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys,

Thanks for all the help. I just ordered the 6.1 package from Russ at **********. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/image...es/biggrin.gif So now comes the hard part, waiting for the things to show up. Since I already have a system in place all I will have to do is hook up the speakers when they arrive and recalibrate my setup and then enjoy. Thanks for all those who made comments and if there is anything else I need to know before they arrive let me know. Now it's time to save up for an amp to drive the 6.1's. What amps are all you other 6.1 users using to drive your speakers?

Mike:D

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Craig,

I have to think a little how to word this as to not cause confusion, and thinking comes hard to me. As I said, I have never heard the 4.1's or 5.1's, so some of this is guess work. When I tried the 2.1's up front, I was very suprised at how good a job they did. I have never heard as wide and deep a soundstage from a bookshelf speaker. It was very open and airy. That makes me think that for the price, the 2.1 may be the best value in the Diva line. It doesn't seem that there is much room to squeeze much better sound between the 2.1 and the 6.1. The biggest difference has to be that the 4.1 and 5.1 are floorstanders and probably have a little more bass extension. This difference is the only reason I would pay more for them if I wanted floorstanders and couldn't go with the 6.1's for some reason. I hope this makes sense, and hopefully someone with the 4.1's and 5.1's will chime in with a more informed opinion. The 4.1's and 5.1's are also more reasonably sized than the 6.1 and may have higher WAF for this reason. Whatever you choose, to do, I don't think you can go wrong with ANY of the Diva line. I never cared for speakers on stands either until I decided on the 2.1's. I almost got the 4.1's for rears myself as I was used to towers for the rears, but am very pleased with the way things turned out. The stands the 2.1's come with look and feel great as well. As with any HT you need a good sub anyway, but with music, I think it would be personal preference if you wanted more bass. I don't require a lot of enhanced bass for my music, so I feel the 2.1 is adequate but others who like a lot of bass may feel differently. If I haven't answered your question to your satisfaction, please let me know and I will try to elaborate.

Good Luck

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks Russ...appreciate the response. Your comment about the WAF is right on target. That's what I am worried about with the 6.1's which are larger than my existing main speakers. If it was just up to me there would be no hesitation on getting the 6.1's. I wonder how these speakers would match up with a B&W HTM center for awhile at least?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Mike,

I have been using an entry level Sony while I'm waiting for the Outlaw Audio 950 pre/pro and 770 seven channel 200 wpc amp. Check it out at www.outlawaudio.com. The two units will be $2800.00 shipped. That Cinepro you're looking is nice, but out of my range.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Russ,

I think I will actually be going with the 1K2 stereo amp from Cinepro instead of the 6-channel. This will allow me to buy the Diva's and the amp for slightly more than I was going to spend on just the 6-channel amp, not a bad deal as far as I'm concerned. I just want a nice amp to drive the 6.1's and I can let my Pioneer Elite receiver drive the center and mains until later when I make the move to a 7.1 system and I need a 5-channel amp. If you're ever up this way give me a ring and hopefully I'll have everything setup and broken in.

Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.