AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a Dive-In movie at a friends pool club tonight. Set-up a 15' diagonal 16:9 screen and used a Mitsubishi X300 with a dvdo pro and toshiba 5109 DVD player. The picture looked very nice ( considering I only had about 40 minutes to set-up.

Also hooked up Atlantic technology 350 THX system and some heavyduty Soundstream amps...there were over 250 people who came to the Dive-in...it was a big hit.. TOy story 2 was shown..kids were floating in rafts watching the movie...there was a popcorn popper outside....

A good time was had by all ...Im tired but the kids and parents loved it!

Regards,

John

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
John,

That sounds like a blast. Kudos to you for spreading the fun!

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mark,

Seeing the faces of those little kids made it worth it. Problem is they now want one every 3 weeks! I was thibnking of hosting adult night..."Titanic" throw some big ice blocks in the pool and watch the movie in a floating lounge chair

Regards,

jOhn

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the movie ideas. I'm glad I did not show ' GOne in 60 seconds"

Planned on taking pics but it just did not happen that way.

Next time I will take some pics.

Regards.

John

·
Registered
89 Posts

------------------
Only in America.....Don King

[This message has been edited by TheFreak (edited 06-30-2001).]

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi cain

Actually it was a 159" diagonal GLass bead from Da-lite. For some reason I remember 15 feet but it is really 13'3" in diagonal.

I used metal pipes with eye bolts in the end and strapped them to the pool fence with 175 lb wire ties. then just snipped them and took them down after the movie..I also used the ties to attach the screen to the eye bolts. Using the ties allows you to get the screen level and lets the screen move a little. A screen that size makes a good sail so you dont want it too stiff unless it is very stiff.

Bottom of the screen was about 40" off the ground and could be seen clear across the pool.

Regards,

John Andrews

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
TheFreak,

I realize that you were trying to be humorous, but please don't mis-quote me.

One of the things that I disliked the most about unregistered forums was that other people would anonymously sign on as you and say embarrassing things.

-Dean.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Speaking of Cast Away, I saw it last night and found it down right boring.

The end was un-believable. I was ready for the Helen Hunt character's husband to come out of the house with a Saturday night special and put us out of our misery.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 06-30-2001).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
We also had a back yard drive in. Smaller scale 12 people. My friend bought over his sony lite and laptop. We ran the sound from his head phone output to my stereo cd input. Use a 50" de-lite screen. Rented a pop corn machine, a must for that many people. It all workd great for the "North by Northwest" presentation. I am looking at something just for the back yard. Any suggestions or improvements? Thanks Michael

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry about that Dean I meant no harm.

------------------
Only in America.....Don King

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
TheFreak,

No problem.

Ken,

I was a bit disappointed with Cast Away as well.

It reminded me of playing Myst. Quiet, solitary, alone.

Overall, I'm glad that I saw the movie, but not happy that I bought the DVD sight-unseen.

-Dean.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Fantastic, John! I can just see the kids having such a ball...

Really gives new meaning to trusting your local weather man, now does it?! I'm sure the skies were as clear as the night skies in the Sahara desert in the middle of a long drought season http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif .

Cheers,

Luca

------------------

PICTURES OF MY THEATER
albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1659592&a=12715694&f=0

[This message has been edited by propeller_beach (edited 07-01-2001).]

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Ten years ago when I was separating for the first time from my wife, I had a 16x9 DNP 8' optical screen facing the pool, I had a 1252, the first Faroudja and outdoor B&W speaks.

I was out with a friend that worked at SONY, when we walked into the lobby of a Miami Beach Hotel there was a gourgeous Japanese Girl. I asked my friend to hand me one of his business cards. I showed my SONY ID and within 24 hours the dive in topless Geisha movie party was outrageous.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.