AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been in to car audio for 3 years now, but am now discovering the realm of home theater. I just bought a Samsung PN50A450 for $900 and cannot stand listening to the $99 Sony HTIB that we got from Walmart a few years ago.

I just built a box/table for my 15" Treo SSi, 5.5 cubes tuned to 17 hz with a 250 watt plate amp.

Now, on to the receiver and the rest of my 5.1 setup. I'd like to stay under $500 for both if possible. I was looking at Fluance for the towers/center/surrounds and possibly Sherwood or Onkyo for receiver.

http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html
http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RD-61...1914532&sr=1-2

What would you do with a $500 budget? I can build towers and wire stuff up, or I can buy a package of stuff, whatever would be most bang for my buck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Seems like you know which end of the hammer to use. So just to clarify you will be using the 15" and all you need is five speakers and a receiver to complete the 5.1? If so $500 is pretty tight. I would say focus on building a quality 2.1 system, some really nice towers just for the moment, with your DIY skills. But do your research with the intent to upgrade with a center and rears in the not too distant future. There are plenty of great DIY speaker builds within your price range (for 2 towers) both here and at home theater shack . com

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'd say keep on building.

Look over at the mission possible section of www.htguide.com for some proven, measured designs.

The only thing you gotta be careful about is making sure you build an 8-ohm speaker if you are going to be powering off of a modest receiver. Many MTM designs are 4-ohm, dipping into dangerous territory powering with a receiver. But the 8-ohm designs are on there, you just gotta look around.

You should be able to build a couple nice quality fronts for under $200 each, with building materials.

Either get a new receiver first and save for the speakers or build the speakers and save for a receiver at the same time.

edit: by the way, sweet table. Planning on finishing it? It took me a while to finally paint my first speakers. but I took my time and they turned out great. one of my roommates even called them "beautiful speakers"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderMoser /forum/post/15559948

I'd say keep on building.

Look over at the mission possible section of www.htguide.com for some proven, measured designs.

The only thing you gotta be careful about is making sure you build an 8-ohm speaker if you are going to be powering off of a modest receiver. Many MTM designs are 4-ohm, dipping into dangerous territory powering with a receiver. But the 8-ohm designs are on there, you just gotta look around.

You should be able to build a couple nice quality fronts for under $200 each, with building materials.

Either get a new receiver first and save for the speakers or build the speakers and save for a receiver at the same time.

edit: by the way, sweet table. Planning on finishing it? It took me a while to finally paint my first speakers. but I took my time and they turned out great. one of my roommates even called them "beautiful speakers"

Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to finish it. I just finished the box up the day before I had to leave for college, so I installed it, but didn't have time to make it look pretty.

I've got a cheap Sony receiver for the time being, so I think I'll start with some towers. I couldn't find on the site the link to the "mission Possible" section. Am I blind or just missing something?

And did anybody check out the link I posted? It looks like a damn nice 5 speaker setup, but the price tag is too good to be true.

·
Registered
934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball09124 /forum/post/15560034

Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to finish it. I just finished the box up the day before I had to leave for college, so I installed it, but didn't have time to make it look pretty.

I've got a cheap Sony receiver for the time being, so I think I'll start with some towers. I couldn't find on the site the link to the "mission Possible" section. Am I blind or just missing something?

And did anybody check out the link I posted? It looks like a damn nice 5 speaker setup, but the price tag is too good to be true.

I doubt you can build better for $200, however, I also doubt they will be that much better than your current HTIB speakers. I would start with a solid front pair of speakers and then go from there as time goes by. Another option, I know you can pick up Polk speakers for pennies ( sometimes) at Fry's if you have one of those near by. They would eat up your $500 but it's going to be better than the Fluance speakers.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I thought Fluance was one of the white van brands?

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you are in college, you don't have a lot of time to build speakers. You want towers? I say go to www.audioadvisor.com and buy a pair of Athena LS300 ($88 ea) or LS500 ($149 ea) towers. They also have the Energy C-300 for $129.99 ea. They even have an Energy CC50 center channel for $88.88. I've also seen Infinity and Polk towers pretty cheap at Fry's Electronics.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My advice for $500 is search ebay for Harman Direct. Buy an HK AVR 247 for $250ish shipped, a pair of Infinity Beta 20s ($60ish each shipped) for the front, and a Beta C250 center channel ($120ish shipped). Save up another $120ish and buy another pair of Beta 20s for the rear or if you want towers, try and get lucky on a used pair of Beta 40s or 50s for $2-$300ish and move your original Beta 20s to the rear.

Alternatively, you could buy five Beta 20s ($300ish) from the start and use one for your center. The Primus line is also decent stuff for the money and you could likely buy Primus towers, center, and rears for $250ish, but the Betas are the better speaker overall. The Infinity ERS in-wall stuff uses the same CMMD drivers and cross-overs as the Beta series, so you could buy those and build some DIY cabinets to save yourself some money.

The combo of HK power and processing, Infinity speakers, and ebay pricing makes this hard to beat for the money.

·
Registered
549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball09124 /forum/post/15560034

The fronts are OK. I bought mine a few years ago when all the reviews were positive. Since then they've become a laughing stock on AVS, although I can't say whether it's because they really do suck or because someone bad-mouthed them and then people just started repeating what they read. I've never had better speakers to compare to, so I can't say. I'll probably look at upgrading eventually, but I can't complain for $150/pair.

I looked at the 5-speaker kit when I was putting together my package and decided against it. The front floor standers were the only ones I saw getting good reviews. Nobody ever says anything good about the center speaker in that package. I don't remember what the reviews were for the surrounds, I didn't care because I needed 4 of them for a 7.1 system and they don't offer the ones in that package separately. Besides, I figured that if the fronts by themselves are $150, and the package is $200, then the center and surrounds were probably not worth their weight in shipping cost.

I bought the two fronts and the upgraded center for less than $300 shipped. Then I got two pair of Sony 5.25" 2-way bookshelves at BB for $100. Then a $200 15" sub, which I eventually upgraded the woofer and amp, lined the box with eggcrate foam, and added some stuffing. Honestly, the biggest improvement was the foam and stuffing, which was practically free. So for $600 I got a 7.1 speaker kit that I have no doubt is better than any HTIB kit, sounds good enough for now for what it cost, and I can upgrade in phases as funds allow. But being a non-audiophile on a budget, I haven't really felt the need to upgrade. I don't listen to much music at home, which is where people seem to get really critical about speakers, and I have no complaints about how the movies sound. I crank it pretty loud sometimes and have never had anything distort. Onkyo 805 w/ crossover at 80.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts