AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some searching around the forum related to converting to and from the replay mpeg format, but i wasnt up on much of the terminology, mainly GOP.

I am familiar with ripping dvd's to divx and encoding divx back to burn on dvd's. Is there any easy demux for the replay mpeg files so they can be dumped into dvd studio pro and such? Basically is there an easy conversion option?

·
Registered
166 Posts
AFAIK, only one person's had any success getting non-replay mpegs to play on replay boxes, and he wants to be paid for the software so it's not much use to the general community.

Using replay mpegs, on the other hand, is much easier. I'm not familiar with DVD Studio Pro, but there are plenty of open source programs that will demultiplex a file for you, http://mpgtx.sourceforge.net/ is one that I've used with success. You'll probably want to repair the headers before demultiplexing, either with womble or fix-time ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=236117 ),

otherwise a gap in the timestamp can confuse a DVD player.

Some quick terminology: GOP is a "group of pictures", usually about half a second long and is the smallest chunk of a MPEG that can be manipulated without reencoding. MPEGs are composed of multiple "streams" of data, three for replay files: audio, video, and system. The system stream, to my understanding, mainly syncs things up. A multiplexed MPEG has both audio and video streams in a single file, whereas a demultiplexed MPEG stores each audio and video stream in a separate file. Each audio and video block has a PTS header -- presentation timestamp (video also has DTS -- decoding timestamp, since frames can appear out of order).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the great replies so far. i have found some valuable information in your posts regarding the use of replay mpeg files. Is the issue with creating replay mpeg files just that no one has matched the format? (besides that one anal guy)

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's pretty much the issue. The decoder only seems able to handle a very small subset of valid MPEG files, which is why we don't have 4000->5000 streaming yet. For instance, the 4000 decoder expects that all headers will be aligned on word boundaries and that every frame will have both a PTS and DTS. The 5000, on the other hand, doesn't seem to care about the header allignment and video headers only have a DTS if it's different than the PTS. They also store the frames differently (though I can't quantify how).

To put it simply, to get a non-replay mpeg working, you'll most likely have to tweak (or write from scratch) an encoder to output that specific format. Not a simple task by any measure.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Not quite the answer you want, but maybe this will be of interest to you. Check out Xbox Media Player which is a media player for the Xbox (requires a modded Xbox) that can play virtually any kind of multimedia file you throw at it. It can even play Divx's across the network from an SMB share. Also works with the Xbox DVD remote. It was actually my reason for getting an Xbox-it works really well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.