AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an assignment for grad school to look at the system architecture of a product failure. From what I understand, the original concept for Divx was that it was to be a "disposable" DVD. Is this correct? Can anyone give me more background on the story and/or point me to some information on the net to help write the paper? I'm particularly interested in the who, what, when, and why of the development process and what led to its failure.

Thanks in advance.

-Matt

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
I had the displeasure of using this system at a friend's house during it's "heyday".

Divx discs were cheap DVDs that worked on a pay-per-play (or similar basis). One would purchase the movies at bargain prices from Circuit City, often $3-5 or so, and "authorize" viewing using modem built-in to the player. If I remember correctly, you could permanently authorize the disc for a higher fee. When the end of DIVX was certain, the discs were sold off at fire sale prices. I don't recall if all of the discs become authorized or whether they would work at all after the collapse.

This was essentially a way to "rent" DVDs without having to deal with returning the movies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I found a lot of info on the failure of Divx and some causes, but I'm still looking for some info about the initial development. It seems like it was an interesting idea that could have worked with some different marketing and distribution channels.

-Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.