AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please follow the link to MSNBC for details.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/840733.asp?0cv=CB20

Basically, two companies are proposing DVDs that undergo chemical changes when exposed to the air so they are only playable for a certain period of time, 36 hours or so. While the primary market appears to be rental companies such as NetFlix and Blockbuster, the concept of time limited materials is concerning as is the environmental aspect of 350 million DVDs disposed annually (based on 10% rental penetration).

According to the article, no major studios have announced plans to release movies in this format yet but the rental companies have interest.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Bad idea. It would just create more garbage in the landfills and what-have-ya. Besides. What's so hard about getting in your car and driving back to the video store to drop it off? It's no big deal. I'm usually never late either. And if I am, which has happened, they say nothing about it. I sure hope "self destructing" DVDs won't be for my own DVDs I pay about $15 for. If I bought a movie for $15-$25 and it was unplayable after 2 days, I'd be pretty pissed off. As for me. I don't care if I have to drive back to the video store when it's due. It's no big deal. Usually, I drop off the movie while I'm over in town, or just give it to whoever else is going to town. So, disposable rentals would be no benefit to me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can see this being used for advertising, but movies would be a problem. Eventually, someone will figure out that dipping the disc in vinegar, or coating it with shellac, or something equally low-tech will keep the disks usable. (Black magic markers, perhaps?) All of a sudden, Netflix's one-time-use becomes a purchase. Microsoft's own white paper on Digital Rights Management came to the conclusion that there's no such thing as an undefeatable copy-protection mechanism.

On another note, did anyone else like the line:

"Our goal isn’t to make money through extended viewing fees," said Karen Raskopf, a Blockbuster spokeswoman. "Our goal is to satisfy customers with the movies they want in the format they want."

... don't ask me, I don't qualify for a Blockbuster membership.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Actually, I think Ba**buster would be shooting themselves in the foot with this idea because then they couldn't play their little "We never found your return in our slot. Your credit card has been charged" game anymore.

Fred

·
Registered
27,309 Posts
It's inevitable that some form of temporary video is gonna happen.

Jeff

·
Registered
83 Posts
I read an article about this in the morning newspaper, and I am surprised. DIVX is dead and buried; why try to resurrect the idea?

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Netflixx would enjoy something like this because it would halve their shipping cost. Now they could simply send you a disc and bingo in 36hrs it would not be playable. I don't have much of a problem with this if it works without a hitch but it's not environmentally conscious. We need to be creating less garbage...not more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.