AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like the title states I'm trying to decide between 2 setups, but I have a dilemma that I'm hoping to get some opinions on. My goal is to have a good quality home theater sub woofer.

Option #1 - Take the 15" TC Sounds TC-3000 woofer from my vehicle and build myself a DIY home theater sub using the Elemental Designs LT/1300 amp. And since I will be using the sub from my vehicle, I want to replace it with (2) JL 12W7's. ($1700 option)

Option #2 - Leave the 15" TC-3000 in my vehicle and buy the Elemental Designs A7-350 sub woofer. ($1200 option)

I am looking for opinions on both setups please!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a project with no real time line, so if I have to wait for something to come in stock etc I have no problem. I just want the best for my money. The next biggest plate amp I could find was the Dayton which seems to be lying about its power output.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Hide an amp somewhere else. You need more power than the eD amp offers with that driver. That amp is quoted at 1300 but IIRC it doesn't put out nearly that much.

Buy yourself a decent pro amp that puts out real wattage and then unless you have some mad space restrainsts in your car skip the w7's. They're nice drivers but cost way too much. Throw in a single 18" lms or xxx. In fact keep the 3000 in your vehicle and just get the lms or xxx for your house.

Or just build a horn for a third of the cost of your estimates and have mad spl inside.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't know what the TC-3000 models like, but the driver in the a7-350 is a unique driver specifically for that sub only with a 30mm xmax and underhung coil. I have 2 of the 18" drivers that are very similar to the one in the a7-350 (13av.2 driver reconed into 18"). If it were my set up I would save the $500 and go with the eD option. You are going to get a better built box from eD most likely also unless you're very good at DIY enclosures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm good with car audio enclosures, I professionally installed for years, but this would be my first venture into making a home audio enclosure that would require a near perfect finish.

I am liking the saving $500

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensem1rider /forum/post/0

I'm good with car audio enclosures, I professionally installed for years, but this would be my first venture into making a home audio enclosure that would require a near perfect finish.

I am liking the saving $500

There is a vinyl that PE sells that looks great. It's not as hard as you think.

Here is a pic of mine and it only cost $20 to finish it.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
The TC-3000 has a very high inductance and you will need to add a parametric EQ no matter which amp you choose. It's not as noticeable in the car due to the low end cabin gain. In the home, you will have a peak in the response around 54hz.

I run dual 15" TC-3000's powered by a Behringer EP-2500 and a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to tame the response peaks.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensem1rider /forum/post/20801313

Then I have to buy yet another sub when I already have one. Im mainly trying to decided between pre-built and DIY.

$575 or whatever for LMS-ultra, $300 for ep4000 that you hide in other room, spend whatever on enclosure and that's cheaper than both options. The LMS will put out a comparable amount of bass to a TC-3k but it'll work in a slightly smaller sealed box and it'll sound better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.