AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this thread inside MM's thread a few days back Wanna 216" Diagonal Screen for $94.50 ??? Here's the place! , but since I'm taking bandwidth of that thread will post here as new DIY screen project.

Next few posts are cut/paste from MM's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/15938843

Well here's how to get one....

This info was posted by me on another Thread....but I've decided that most anyone who wanted to attempt to move into anything near this size a screen would either be destined to paint onto it to improve the performance of their PJ at this size....or be using a High Lumen PJ "out of doors'. So being...this Thread will serve as a "jumping off place" for such projects...and the ensuing results.

http://www.rosebrand.com/product34/B...-FR.aspx?tid=7

I did sum figurin'

At 110' "Tall' (wide) a piece cut 192" (16') -5.33 yrds.- would give you a 216" diagonal Screen surface (w/2" extra around all the edges for pulling & "attachment".)

Backyard Outdoor Theater "wannabes" rejoice!!!

I'll say this without reservation....I will NOT ever again attempt to finish out any thing from 135" diagonal out to a full 16' x 9' Drywall surface for a DIY Painted Screen Application when this material...smooth as it is...is readily available at just $15.95 a linear Yard. The outrageous size BOC material I just stated above would cost just $94.50 to make such a huge Screen a reality.

People......The Really Big Picture Show is now in reach of any who might grasp for it......as long as they either own a true Light Cannon...or will spray on a appropriate DIY Screen paint.

MM;

We've sent flyers for a outdoor movie night to be held Sept 4, 2009, maybe 30 people will attend.

So, I'm a Backyard Outdoor Theater "wannabes" as stated.

The show MUST go on.

I'm using my Sony PJ VW60, 900 lumens, not a light cannon.

Brand new bulb will be installed.

I posted in the Outdoor Theaters forum, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1171014 , and just came across this thread.

My plan was make a 16' x 9' DIY screen on the side of my garage, it has log siding.

I planned on a simple "sandwich" approach:

-using 1" x 4" pine from HD, attach it to the log siding via 1 5/8" drywall screw every 2'. This is base.

-screen material

-using 1" x 2" (ripped from 1" x 4") that would "clamp" the screen material onto the 1" x 4" base via 1 1/4" drywall screws every 2' (or tighter spacing if needed)

This pict shows what I'm thinking.

I'm open to advice on hanging screen cloth on the wall, this screen is a temp thing, put up, watch a few times, take down.

We'd do the Outdoor HT thing just a few times a year.

I'm actually open to leaving the base 1" x 4" attached to the siding, just stain them (I've got 5gal leftover from last re-stain job).

My very 1st time doing this, I'll have a 3rd helper (My wife is the other) over night before "making the screen".

Potential issues with my DIY screen:

-hanging the cloth on wall, sagging will be hard to control?

>>Do top first, attach from the middle, and work outwards

>>Pull "down" taught, do bottom next

>>Do sides last

Q:

People have recommend BOC, such as this, https://www.carlofet.com/store/index...053cb0cf0f97ca which I can get vs what you posted above.

Pros/Cons on both?

I have no plan to paint the cloth at this time.

Thx for advice.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
MM's post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippiman /forum/post/17032581

i love these type posts.

Quote:
MM;

We've sent flyers for a outdoor movie night to be held Sept 4, 2009, maybe 30 people will attend.

So, I'm a Backyard Outdoor Theater "wannabes" as stated.

The show MUST go on.

I'm using my Sony PJ VW60, 900 lumens, not a light cannon.

Brand new bulb will be installed.

I posted in the Outdoor Theaters forum, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1171014 , and just came across this thread.

i think 1"x3" & 2" x 3' lumber is sufficient, and it should be treated lumber...preferably as dry as possible. And i'd suggest something less repeatedly intrusive as screws that would eventually enlarge the holes. A wood/ machine threaded bolt / cut washer / wing nut assemble, with the screen material wrapped and glued to the 1" x 3 "pull bar" would assure tightness and accurate repeated placement.

i suggest diazon's trapeze plus material. It has a degree of stretch in both directions that will allow for it to be easier to get a really smooth surface with a minimum of "tug".

http://www.dazian.com/cgi-bin/page.p...e&style_id=353

Quote:
I'm open to advice on hanging screen cloth on the wall, this screen is a temp thing, put up, watch a few times, take down.

We'd do the Outdoor HT thing just a few times a year.

Potential issues with my DIY screen:

-hanging the cloth on wall, sagging will be hard to control?

>>Do top first, attach from the middle, and work outwards

>>Pull "down" taught, do bottom next

>>Do sides last

do it as outlined above and with the material suggested and everything will go together easier and with more assured results and longevity.

Quote:
Pros/Cons on both?

Thx for advice.

Things change all the time. The material above come in 122" wide x "whatever" so you can very easily accommodate your 16' x 9' er with the needed extra on both sides. Diazon can even "grommet" the top & bottom for you so the you can remove any "sag" using bungee cord grommet pulls.

If you present a 118" high image you'll have a 20' diagonal screen.

That's

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MM;

I'll respond later with construction method and hanging method Q's.

But, simply you only support it top/bottom, not the sides.

Pre-attach top/bottom on say garage floor, then attach the screen assy to the wall attach surface.

I will place my screen material order shortly, the material you suggested via link came up with color selection.

I'm supposed to get plain old white, correct? (not some close off white?), this is white color link:
http://www.dazian.com/cgi-bin/page.p...e&style_id=596

I called East Coast - (877) 232-9426 and spoke with the rep, she stated use White.

Quote:
The next generation of Trapeze® that has quickly become the new industry standard both here and abroad. Made from Inherently Flame Retardent Polyester. Fabric has been engineered for durability, and high performance with 2 way stretch, 100% in length by 60% in width. Ideal for tensile structures, shapes, forms, front and rear projection, and printed signage.

When I asked her about the outdoor durability she stated people use this for outdoor screens, but it's developed for indoor conditions so she does not know its weatherability issues (UV/water/etc). Since I don't plan on having this outside long time, not a issue for me.

She also stated it will come folded, but upon un-folding no crease should be there.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MM's post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippiman /forum/post/17039708

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex

MM;

I'll respond later with construction method and hanging method Q's.

But, simply you only support it top/bottom, not the sides.

as per my illustration, the material is attached to the 1x3s on two sides, and the 1x3s are in turn attached vertically to the vertical frame pieces.

If you have the material grommet-ted top & bottom, after accomplishing the "side to side" stretch...you can pull the top and bottom grommet edges down and over short stainless steel screw heads i just did exactly that with a vinyl material for a rp window project and with the stretch factor...it worked great!

Quote:
Pre-attach top/bottom on say garage floor, then attach the screen assy to the wall attach surface.

I was basing my offering on your image above. Your somewhere else it seems. With such a lrge sized screen, assembling the "surface" onto an existing frame via well made attachments seems best. To me. Looking forward to more clarification.

Quote:
I will place my screen material order shortly, the material you suggested via link came up with color selection.

I'm supposed to get plain old white, correct? (not some close off white?), this is white color link:
http://www.dazian.com/cgi-bin/page.p...e&style_id=596

I called East Coast - (877) 232-9426 and spoke with the rep, she stated use White.

yeah...yeah. She said the same thing to me....but they don't really have the experience in making such suggestions as in grays, so they play safe and say "white". But they sell rp material that is gray w/1.2 gain. If you have lumens...gray will afford some better degree of dusk viewing. Night time won't be any issue at all. But going with white is safest if you can/will restrick you viewing to after dusk.

Take a look at the bottom of the trapeze® material color page at the titianium gray. I've requested a sample. It might be a bit to bright for smaller screens, but much like s-i-l-v-e-r hg could make a 225" jump out and smack ya....the titanium might be perfect for pj at/under 1200 lumens showing a humongous image.

When i asked her about the outdoor durability she stated people use this for outdoor screens, but it's developed for indoor conditions so she does not know its weatherability issues (uv/water/etc). Since i don't plan on having this outside long time, not a issue for me.

She also stated it will come folded, but upon un-folding no crease should be there.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MM;

I forgot this point in above post, the Backyard theater forum has a thread "How to build a backyard theater on the cheap", with ideas and pros/cons for many thigns to consider.
http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?topic=284.0

Upon reading that I'm leaning to BOC instead of the Dazian, comments?

(I value your experience)

Is the Diazian you suggested "heavyweight" and therefore good for front projection (it will reflect light rearward instead of letting it pass thru)

Quote:
- Dazian stretch fabric. Pros: durable, lightweight, easy to store, light transmission (see bedsheets). Cons: expense, light transmission (see bedsheets), not widely available. Note that Dazian comes in two weights. The heavyweight Dazian does not transmit light, so it is unsuited to rear projection, but has excellent front reflectivity.

- Blackout cloth. This fabric is used to line curtains so they block all light from passing. Pros:widely available at most fabric stores and even cheaper with coupons. Availablility also makes it easy ot replace. Durable, two sided (one brighter than the other - EXPERIMENT), no light leaks through and folds easily (may wrinkle, but not crease, so most fall out). Cons: 54" wide is widely available, so it needs to be sewn to make larger screens (although it IS cloth so it sews easily and the seam is virtually invisible). Wider BOC is available online, but is more expensive.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/17039708

Take a look at the bottom of the Trapeze® Material color page at the Titianium Gray. I've requested a sample. It might be a bit to bright for smaller screens, but much like S-I-L-V-E-R HG could make a 225" jump out and smack ya....the Titanium might be perfect for PJ at/under 1200 lumens showing a humongous image.

Got it and understand, I'm leaning to the Titanium Gray now, my screen will be HUGE like stated and my Sony PJ VW60 is 900 lumens, so this may be the ticket for me......

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did some measuring this morning, based on physical constraints of the garage (elect meters, log siding on 8" spacing for attach, etc,) I think this is the optimized size / location of the screen:

16:9 ratio, 8.7' high x 15.4' wide, gives 17.7' (212") diag.

Should suffice for backyard outdoor theater.

The 8.7' height comes from (13) 8" log's high and mtg the board @ the center, plus that tucks underneath the roofline as shown.

I picked 4' high so people can see over those in front, grass is slightly slopped from the garage.

Next up, details on screen to log siding attach image.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spent time sketching ideas, looking at others, etc.

Here my idea #1:

I'm showing the bottom of screen std section, top would be flipped:

-Top/Bottom, "red" board 1" x 4" x 16' long rough saw pine, mount permanent to log siding, stain

-Blue 2" x 3" x 16' board, glue screen (yellow) on bottom and inside flapped over as shown

-hang screen at top/bottom with a few screw fasteners thru blue board into red board.

Pros:

-lowest cost

Cons:

-storage when not in use very difficult, 16' width, roll-up over board, store

-no side mtg, waves/wrinkles/etc (adding side for tension would make more work but probably needed)

-sorta time consuming

Idea #2:

Copied from this, my pipes would mount to the log siding as shown in Red rectangle in above post.

-Buy 9 x 16 with grommets installed by manuf.

-Mtg DIY frame (big box HD/Lowes) pipe (tbd, black pipe, pvc, fence pipe) to log wall

-fasten screen to pipe via bungee cords

Pros:

-quicker and simpler that #1

-easy storage of screen, fold and store

-easy removal/storage of frame system can be also done

Cons:

-More $$ for screen

I'm 90% going with idea #2....ballpark is $240-ish for idea #2 vs $150-ish for idea #1.

Edit:

100% idea #2, I just placed order with "Carls Place".

13 days till Backyard Home Theater inaugural night!!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade here at all, but I would prefer someone to mention this to me if I were planning something like this...

September 4 is a full moon. It may be worth taking a few minutes to understand the time for the moonrise and exposure to your screen in your unique location if you haven't already considered it. I'd imagine it will rise at around 8PM

I've always planned outdoor screenings and other hijinks for new moons. I'm sure it will still be a party and most wont care or notice the issue even if it turned out you had the worst possible moon conditions so don't sweat it.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS /forum/post/17045150

I don't want to rain on your parade here at all, but I would prefer someone to mention this to me if I were planning something like this...

September 4 is a full moon. It may be worth taking a few minutes to understand the time for the moonrise and exposure to your screen in your unique location if you haven't already considered it. I'd imagine it will rise at around 8PM

I've always planned outdoor screenings and other hijinks for new moons. I'm sure it will still be a party and most wont care or notice the issue even if it turned out you had the worst possible moon conditions so don't sweat it.

EAS, thanks for heads up.

Being 1st timer I forgot about moonlight, using
http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astron.../rs-one-day-us

Gives:
Quote:
4 September 2009 Eastern Daylight Time

SUN

Begin civil twilight 6:35 a.m.

Sunrise 7:04 a.m.

Sun transit 1:35 p.m.

Sunset 8:04 p.m.

End civil twilight 8:33 p.m.

MOON

Moonrise 7:29 p.m. on preceding day

Moon transit 1:11 a.m.

Moonset 7:02 a.m.

Moonrise 7:50 p.m.

Moonset 8:06 a.m. on following day

Full Moon on 4 September 2009 at 12:03 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time.

Fortunately the wall I'm using is a west wall, so the garage will be totally blocking direct moonlight while it is rising, not the best situation but we'll live with it.

In future, will take into account moonlight as well.

thx again.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Screen ordered, shipping Mon 8/31, delivery Wed 9/2 or Thur 9/3 at the latest.

I'll be making the screen frame this weekend, looking at Home Depot for building material. Ideas for the pipe, want lightweight/strong,yet cheap $, + corrosion resistant.

-Fence piping?

vs

-Black oxidized pipe?

I'm leaning towards fence pipe for screen frame.

I'm on vacation this week, visiting family in Grand Haven 2 days, then to Mackinac city, and in the U.P. of Mich for 2 days. Screen frame will be built Sunday 8/30.

Dryrun of backyard theatre will be Thur 9/3, I'm cutting it tight but the show will go on Fri 9/4! (Sat 9/5 is rain make-up day)

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did a "moonlight" check last night, clear skies in SE Michigan.

I could see a little "moonshadow" (Cat Stevens!), but the garage wall (screen location) is west facing so it's relatively dark.

Based on what I saw last night movie start time of 8pm will transition into darkness nicely.

Quote:
31 August 2009 Eastern Daylight Time

SUN

Begin civil twilight 6:31 a.m.

Sunrise 7:00 a.m.

Sun transit 1:36 p.m.

Sunset 8:11 p.m.

End civil twilight 8:40 p.m.

MOON

Moonrise 5:42 p.m. on preceding day

Moonset 2:51 a.m.

Moonrise 6:15 p.m.

Moon transit 11:01 p.m.

Moonset 3:54 a.m. on following day

Phase of the Moon on 31 August: waxing gibbous with 86% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated.

Full Moon on 4 September 2009 at 12:03 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/17101416

All this "moon talk" makes me want to Howl.

......or bend over.

Yea, I'll lay off the moon calculations.....still funny stuff.

fwiw, when ever I see the moon with my 3 kids all 4 of us do hooowwwlllll at the moon, my wife just shakes her head at us.

[edit]

The guys at backyard theatres have given me many options for screen mtg, I'll post here the final output and mini review/lessons learned after the big party.
http://backyardtheater.com/forums/in...p?topic=4331.0

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS /forum/post/17126192

Awesome! Good work. I'm happy it all worked out. That is one huge screen. I'm impressed the projector filed it so well.

Honestly so was I. I was totally expecting a dim picture lacking clarity/detail.

Totally wrong.

Bright, incredible detail, uniform focus across the whole screen, pop to the picture, etc.

I put in a brand new PJ lamp bulb, that helped I'm sure, but when I read 900 lumens for my PJ is not much compared to "light cannons" that put out 1600 lumens I was resigned to whatever I got.

Made me feel much better about spending $4k for the VW60 almost 2 years ago.

I'm showing a 2nd movie Sunday nite, if some AVS member is in the Brighton/Howell area and want's to see for themselves welcome to stop by.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts