AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever tried to do a DIY automation for opening/closing a standard style swinging door? I'm trying to figure out a way to automatically open the door to my Theater on using Voice Control. I just need to figure out the door mechanism and it's electronic configuration... I had thought of using a small low rpm 12v motor like an automotive power window motor, 12 vDC power supply and limit switches like a garage door opener. I'm currently running Home Seer 2.x for my HT automation and lighting which supports voice control of X-10, IR, and Insteon controllers. Ideas anyone?

Mike

·
Registered
177 Posts
I got a GF5000. The door opens and closes on voice commands, the unit can be programmed to automate other tasks like cooking and cleaning, and looks great in a bikini!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionPlant /forum/post/0

I got a GF5000. The door opens and closes on voice commands, the unit can be programmed to automate other tasks like cooking and cleaning, and looks great in a bikini!

Yes, but doesn't the GF5000 require an expensive upgrade to a WIFE 1.0 unit after a few years?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Already upgraded to Wife 1.0, automation option wasn't included in the retail release. System message states that automation routines should be handled by the user manually otherwise noted as "Get up and do it your own d*&mn self!!".. thus the new thread on the forum...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip on the Smart home option. That looks pretty cool, I was really hoping to put together a simpler/cheaper DIY option that would be easier to conceal in the door or frame above it.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah it can be done, but not exactly cheap.

In my car install I used a linear actuator to open/close the amp rack.

Simple on/off switch and 12v power.

The actuator cost me $150

On the bright side, its a heavy duty device that can handle the task. Car door stuff won't work out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.