AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After soaking in a ton of information and inspiration from this forum, I recently built my first screen, with BOC, velvet, and masking. I documented the build process in step-by-step photos to help other first timers. I'm thrilled with how it turned out! Let me know what you think...

Step-by-step photos of the build (click on "show info" to see the picture descriptions)

Final product with masks in place:

· Registered
456 Posts
Excellent project. It looks really good. I'm sure it will help others when deciding on there own setups. Thanks for posting the link, it works great.

Jason

· Registered
2,403 Posts
real nice quality build. want to make the image better ? darken the ceiling !

i love that slide show. how do i get started with one ? thanx

· Registered
604 Posts
Very well done!!!

Did you attach the staples through the J channel on the masks?

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fabricator - thanks for the comments. I agree on the dark ceiling, but unfortunately, it's not a dedicated theater space. I had to compromise a bit on the theater aspects in favor of the family area that it doubles as. The slide show is a Flickr feature. I recently opened a free account, and created a "set" for the screen build, which can be turned into a slideshow.

Highside - there is a gap in the pictures. I'll have to take a picture of the back of one of the masks and add it. I wrapped the velvet past the J-channel and stapled it directly into the foam. I was worried about the staples comig loose and/or damaging the screen, so I covered all the staples with duct tape. It's a bit crude, but it does the trick without showing.

UPDATE: Just added the following picture of the back of one of the mask panels to the photo set:

· Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clskinsfan /forum/post/18174309

What is holding the top mask in place? Is it held there by tension only?

The OP mentions in his slideshow that he inserted magnets into the inside edge of the screen frame, and these attract the metallic J-channels.

@Krumbles looks great, thanks for posting this.

Best,

· Registered
3 Posts
Very impressive!

A quick question for you. Which side of the blackout cloth did you end up using as the front of the screen?

The blackout cloth fabric from JoAnn Fabrics has a woven canvas texture on one side and more of a flat vinyl texture on the other side.

Thanks!

· Premium Member
186 Posts
Thats a great job. I havent been able to decide so far how to create masks for my screen, so your post is going to be a big help.

Question, where did you pick up the foam and the j-channel ? Do you remember what the specific names are for these products?

The screenshots look awesome!

Azi

· Registered
59 Posts
looks awesome! i am planning mine at the moment. Where did you order the BOC ?

and how much to order for what size of screen ? :p

many questions ^_^ i am the first timer you are talking about in your first post :p

and at what height did you place your screen ?

Thank you ^_^

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm so thrilled that folks are benefiting from my build write-up! I have to say that several months later, I'm still absolutely thrilled with the result, and I don't regret saving a few pennies by going the DIY at all. So if you are on the fence and reading this thread trying to decide...trust me, just go for it!

gjnault - I ended up using the flat side of the cloth. The term vinyl makes me think of something shiny, but it's nice and smooth with no hot-spotting. The other side has a very noticeable weave to it, that I didn't want to risk showing. If I'm wrong, please don't tell me. The picture looks great, and I don't want to go through all that stapling again for a long time!

artinaz - I picked up the J-channel and the foam board at Home Depot. The J-channel is in the drywall section and the foam board is with the insulation. The foam is 1/2" thick and fits nice and snug in the channel. For what it's worth, if you do masks like mine, don't skimp on the magnets when building the frame. I thought I would have more than enough, but I think it's more like just barely enough now that I've been using them awhile. The thickness of the velvet cuts down on the magnetic pull more than I expected.

eXeC - I got the BOC at JoAnn's. The bolts are exactly 54" wide, so with a little muscle to stretch it a bit, I was able to get it to a 54x96 projection area, which is a 110" diagonal screen...plenty big enough for me! As far as mounting height, I recommend you play with it a bit. For me, the final height was dictated by the limitations of my ceiling mounted projector. It's a little on the high side relative to recommendations, but my seating position is 14' away, and it doesn't bother me a bit.

· Registered
2,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinaz /forum/post/18543616

Thats a great job. I havent been able to decide so far how to create masks for my screen, so your post is going to be a big help.

Azi

DIY masking is a great improvement and worth the experimenting. Do a search for masking in the DIY Screen forum and a number of threads should come up. I'll bump one I did for you as an another example.

· Registered
68 Posts
Nice write up! It filled out some of the details for the design I was coming up with. I plan on building it soon.

Is the wood pine? I can't decide between pine and poplar.

Any idea how heavy the whole thing is? I'm planning on tilting my screen to compensate for tilting my projector up a little.

Did you get your velvet from a fabric store? There seems to be alot of options there.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can use either pine or poplar, although poplar is a harder wood and will provide more rigidity. I don't know how much it weighs, but it's very light and easy to move around. The fabric is from JoAnn's...I just found the darkest, plushest one they had and went with it.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The BOC is attached with staples. There are several tutorials on mounting canvas, and I think there was one in the FAQ of this forum that helped me the most. Basically, start in the middle of each side and work your way towards the corners a couple staples at a time. So 2-3 staples on side A to start, then go to the opposite side (we'll call it C), and do 2-3 staples in the middle while pulling tight. Then do the same with sides B and D. Once you have the middles initially stapled, then you can staple on either side towards both corners. So 2-3 A-left, 2-3 A-right, 2-3 C-left, 2-3 C-right, 2-3 B-left, 2-3 B-right, 2-3 D-left, and 2-3 D-right. Repeat with what will seem like a gazillion staples until you get to the corners. I found it very helpful to have another person helping, but it's definitely possible to do it alone. Just keept telling yourself to take your time and keep the canvas tight. It will look like it's wrinking, but by the time you get to the corners, they will all be gone and it will be beautiful.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.