AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to build a couple video cables.

I have my wire (Belden RG59) and my BNC connectors, along with the proper racheting crimpers and auto stripping device. The one thing I can't seem to find is the material that will hold all five shielded wires together in a neat run. We used to call it "Snake Skin", but basically it's a black nylon mesh sheath.

Any ideas where to get it?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I think typically if your making an RGB line you get multichannel RG59/RG6 rather than single channel. For example, I'm looking at Canare V5-5CFB wire, which is a 5 channel cable. Its cost is about 6x the cost of the single channel L5CFB wire, but its 6 channels, plus the sheild, and they are twisted together to ensure that all 5 lines are the same length.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Kenny,

The two that I know of are, www.wirecare.com and www.cabletiesplus.com. Cable Ties has the best price and Wire care has the largest selection. I have a 500 foot role of the Black 1/2 inch FPE mesh from Cable Ties Plus, I will expand to 3/4 or maybe 7/8 inch in diameter. It should be able to fit 5 video cables. If you don't need a full roll I would sell you how ever much you need at the cost i payed plus shipping. I payed .18cents a foot. Darn, that's the first time i figured that out! How much do you need? I'll send you some just pay for the shipping.

[email protected]

I've been doing some research on building cables and while the Canare bundled cable is an good option, Belden 1695A and 89248 are the two that i'm deciding between. 1695A has foamed FEP and the 89248 may use solid pTFE Teflon insulation . The 1695A may be better. I believe it is newer, and the 89248 is more expensive. I believe the Canare L5-CFB uses foamed polyethylene, supposably not as good for truly high definition video. But this is definitely open to debate.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I haven't spent enough time looking at what Belden has to offer. Bummer they don't have a prebundled 5 conductor 1695A or 89248 cable.

Guess I should spend some time on the Belden stuff now that I know what Canare has to offer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
spearce,

The closest Belden gets is bundles of 1506a which is RG59, the parts # is 1826a ( bundle of 5). 1826a has Foamed FEP - Foam Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene, but is 22 Awg. I wounder how good bundling and twisting 5 cables of 1695a would be? I'm just about to order a 1000 foot roll of the 1695a from Markertek but dont want to be stuck with 900 feet. What do you think about a group buy idea? I wounder how much interest there would be?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I would be interested in a group buy. I don't have the tools to put the ends on at the present time. What tools/dies are needed and where is the best place to get them?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
For RG-59 the cheapest way out is to pick up the $13 crimper that radio shack carries. I've found that this works just fine with Canare BNC and RCA connectors. Strip it with your pocket knife. I just couldn't justify the $250+ for OEM crimpers and strippers for the few cables I had to make. BTW, I used the flexible Tec-Nec RG-59 at 19 cents/foot from Markertek. Works great and is very easy to work with.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scott, thanks alot I need 100" and you have a PM!

Also, I'm not sure if each of the center conductors in those wire bundles is shielded, but Mike Parker schooled me about terminating both ends of the cable. (In the aircraft industry we used to "float" one end to keep from creating ground loops) NOT SO here!!! With Belden's RG59, even the shield is a copper braid, and it's 20 gauge...it may be somewhat bulky, but this seems like excellent wire.

Also if you strip with a pocket knife or razor blade do not nick your center conductor...very high frequencies run on the surface of wire, it is called "skin effect", if you score the surface of the center conductor you can cause attenuation...especially if you use a copper coated center conductor vs solid copper. (none of us would use cheap copper coated wire...right?)

I bought my crimper from the company I bought my RG59 at, it was about $40 and that included RG59 dies, it's the ratcheting type and seems to be very well built.

·
Registered
167 Posts
1694a uses foamed polyethylene.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Not snake skin loom but.... A cheap and nice way to run cables in an organized fashion. We use this all the time at my company to wire our racks. It is basically an arrangment of zip tie wraps that ends up being similar to those clamps used on cars to keep sparkplug wires all lined up and separated.

What you do is place one wrap around your bundle of wires but don't pull it tight.... actually leave it really loose. Now separate the first two cables and place another tie wrap between the two cables but perpendicular and around the main bundle wrap. Continue to do this between each cable until they are all lined up with a perpendicular tie wrap between each cable. Finally, tighten the original bundle wrap down and trim the access.

Here's a pic of what it should look like

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Kenny - I bought my Polyester Expandable sleeve here:

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/cable_sleeve.htm

Note that this is a Canadian company (good for me) but they do ship to the U.S. The prices are in Canadian, so divide by about 10 to get the US price. :D

They have a pile of other stuff you may also need to make your own cables, including the Belden cable itself, shrinkwrap, and Cardas solder.

See here: http://www.takefiveaudio.com/connectors_parts_cable.htm

This is what the sleeve looks like wrapped around a couple of Home Depot 12 ga (bi-wired) runs:

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/da.../1439kal07.jpg

Kal

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
I believe one company is TechFlex . Wirecare sells the braided sleeve product online. McMaster-Carr would be another good place to check...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.