AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be able to make my own custom length RCA cables, but i want them to be quite flexible. In order to get the flexibility i want i think i need to use stranded instead of solid coaxial cable probably RG59. These cables will be primarily for short distance hookups behind the TV or in a rack. I need help with where to get the right parts. Where do i get the correct bulk cable from, and the appropriate connectors. I would also like to be able to make flexible cables with F-connectors on both ends as well so a series of (preferably compression) connectors that work with stranded coacial cable that have both F-type and RCA connector options would be ideal. I will also most likely need to purchase the tools.

Ive looked at some of the common sources such as monoprice and cable giant, but have been unable to find what i'm looking for.

i'm guessing this is a pretty common thing for those Custom installers out there so i'm looking for some guidance here.

Thanks for your help.

-Blake

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Your best bet is probably a professional AV supply house.

Ram electronics has a very rudimentary offering of raw cable stocks.

More thorough sources would be places like Westlake-electronics, Markertek, etc.

Just picking a manufacturer like Belden, your cable stock choices are vast.

It's kind of handy to look at commonly used cables, such as the cable stocks used by Blue Jeans Cable, so you're not overwhelmed by the thousands of choices:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...able/index.htm

As far as ends, do you intend to use crimp ends or compression ends?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would prefer compression ends

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
The distributor who sells you the cable should be able to suggest appropriate connectors, and a compression tool.

I had a good experience buying cables from Blue Jeans.

If you run into trouble deciding, don't hesitate to ask them for help.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
They have quite a collection of excellent cables of all kinds and the prices are quite low. You can get premade cable with the ends on them and if you choose, cut off one end and replace it on the shorter cable with connectors they also sell. They are located on Highland Ave in Hollywood CA.

Several electronics part houses around the country are Calrad stocking reps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My recommendation is Liberty Wire and Cable. They have a great selection of bulk wire, much of which is engineered to be of higher quality rather than cheapest. They have all of their own connectors and tools as well. Their sales staff seems to be very knowledgeable which will be a great resource.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts