·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I recommend adding an additional shield of copper

braid over the teflon jacket, and hard grounding it at the source

end, and ground the other end of the braid via a 0.01 uF ceramic

disc capacitor. The additional shielding minimizes noise pickup. "

This quote is from Jon Risch's website. What is meant by the hard grounding and the .01 uf cap. How do I add these and do it properly?

I'm about to begin this project, and would like to implement these recommendations if I'm able.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
My understanding of this: connect the copper braid on the source end to the connector ground. The copper braid on the other end is connected to the capacitor which is then connected to the connector ground.

An addition question: Where's a good place to buy copper braid and how do you get the cable installed in it?

Seems like if the braid is large enough to insert a cable, it won't sit tight against the cable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What they do is pull the braid from another cable by stripping the jacket, and sliding the shield off the core, then sliding the shield over the cable intended for use.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also found out you can buy the shield from Belden. To find it, go to the Belden cable finder web page:

Belden Cable Finder

Then set the "Cable-type" to "Hookup-Lead", the application to "Shielding and Bonding Cable", and hit go.

Belden part numbers 8660-8670 are tinned copper braids in various sizes. I don't know if anyone sells it by the foot but Pacific Radio might.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Sounds like Jon's digital cable recipe. Basically, get your coax of choice and place the braid over the cable. You can get the braid from mcmaster carr, percy audio, or other websites that carry belden products. After you place the braid over the cable put the connector (RCA, BNC, etc) on one end and crimp or solder the connector on. In addition solder the shield to the ground on that end. On the other end do the same. However, instead of soldering the braid/shield to ground, you solder one leg of the ceramic cap to the ground on the connector (RCA, or BNC) and the other leg of the ceramic cap to the shield. There should be no other connection between the shield and the ground on one end. Only the capacitor's legs should connect the two pieces. Hope this made sense..

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help,

Are you saying that you are only grounding the extra braided shield, and not the shield off the original cable?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.