Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am basically a do-it-yourself'er from way back, making my own speakers, screen, rack, sound absorbtion panels and bass traps, so it seems quite natural to me to build a ceiling mount for my new InFocus X1. I figure that with some brainstorming here we can probably come up with a good recipe to make a top notch ceiling mount for very little cash and effort, and this would be a useful project for not only X1 owners, but other lightweight PJ owners as well. Here is a place that LCD and DLP people can bond together in a common cause. :)

The key ingedients would be:

1. Easy to locate parts

2. Inexpensive to construct

3. Easy to construct

4. Strong

5. Lightweight

6. Versatile gimbal arrangement

7. Universal mount to accomodate different projectors

8. Attractive, or at least not overly objectionable appearance

My first thought involves some sort of wall mount pipe flange, probably for 1/2" black pipe, with of cours a corresponding down pipe, which could be purchased in different lengths depending on ceiling height, screen height, etc. My first question is "What kind of gimbal mechanism could be attached to give the user the freedom to swing the projector left to right, up and down, or even change the azimuth in order to align the projector as well as possible?"

So what do you think, is this project worthwhile, and do you think it is feasible?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here's my design:

I used a small piece of 1/2 inch Partical board cut in a triangle to fit over the X1's screw holes, with drilled out holes to match the PJ's mounting bolts. The drop assembly is two plumbing floor flanges connected by a pipe nipple (available in various lengths). Note also, this stuff comes in stainless as well for a sharper appearance.

After Bolting the Floor flange to the board, I bolted the PJ to the ceiling mount assembly with both a rubber and metal washer between the MDF and X1 on each bolt. To make it adjustable, I made sure that the two back bolts were long enough to add washers above the MDF to level the unit (fine tuning can be done back simply backing off or tightening the bolt by a turn or two). You can try various bolts for your mount - the X1 needs 4mm metric.

Here's a link to a picture of the unit:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/clawback/mount.jpg

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
761 Posts
there was a guy who made the part that attaches to the PJ out of a HomeDepot aluminum bricklayer's palet,... looked really good. do a search in the DIY forum IIRC.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
This one cost me about $20 and a day of effort. I have since lengthened the slide arm to move the PJ 6" further out to center it on the screen. This mount will work from the ceiling as well.

Ignore the wires above the PJ, they are a low voltage light system

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just finished building mine and I dont even have it hung yet but I figured i'd send in a few of my Z1 mount. Another alternative to speaker mounts is using a cellular phone pedastal. They have all but stopped manufacturing 3 watt installed phones so most cellular companies have tons of these in different lengths that you could pick up for next to nothing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.