AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a DIY one out of a Milk Crate and 4 2 inch toggle bolts from Home Depot.

Doesi t get eaiser than that?

Roto Zip out the bottom 7 inches of the back of the crate to not restrict any air flow.

You cna also wrap the crate with filters to prevent dust, or install a small fax for air circulation.

dg

·
Registered
102 Posts
I haven't built one yet, but I have the materials. Here's what I am going to do (as soon as I decide on a projector!)

1. Get a piece of thin plywood and cutout to fit bottom of projector (watch for air blocakges - may need to cut holes for any vents) Round edges and stain for appearance if you want.

2. Get some long bolts of the correct size and some spacers (for between the wood and the projector). Bolt the projector to the wood.

2. I bought some speaker mounts from www.partsexpress.com. They were about $25 for a pair, and they have a ball joint on it letting me fully adjust the projector. The speaker mount will go from the plywood to the ceiling. I may cover this somehow (either a PVC pipe or a wooden box) for appearances.

All told we are looking at less than $50 in materials (probably closer to $35). It should look pretty decent if you take the time to do it right. Sure beats a $300 mount.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You should do a search on this forum. I remember in one thread that a guy that made his own using a swivel speaker mount and an aluminum plate. The screws needed are 4mm. I was going to go this route, but for $200 and piece of mind I went with a peerless mount. Besides, the pitch, yaw, and tilt adjustments made it easy to lock the picture in where I wanted it.

Jay

[This message has been edited by Jay C (edited 05-24-2001).]

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
$300 is a bit high but for under $150 I wouldn't waste my time building anything. I always suggest customers get a mount. Not because I make money off of them but because their units are less likely to be scratched up or damaged They save $100 on the mount then take off a hundred or more in value scratching it up.I do not have a restocking fee but I will not fully refund scratched up merchandise.

This is not to discourage the engineering task that one might take up. Plan on engineering your own hush box around the mounted projector but use the proper mount to attach it to the ceiling. Build your own screen. Build a Bird bath..or bird feeder...but don't be such a cheapskate that you won't spend a little money to mount the unit you just bought with your hard earned cash. Yeah I know I hear it now. "I can build something 10 times as good for less than half."

Well It is America.

Regards,

John

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I used an old satellite dish swivel joint, a piece of tubing from a false floor and a piece of mdf.

I welded the satellite swivel tube to the floor tubing, and screwed that to the ceiling. I made a piece of mdf the same size as my DLS8 and drilled four holes for the feet to screw through. I then screwed the sattelite swivel to the mdf.

It's just a case of undoing one bolt to remove or fit the projector to the ceiling mount.

The false floor tube has a circular plate at one end, and that allows rotation left and right, the sattelite bracket allows up and down swivel for leveling.

I was going to use all fixed stuff, but after seeing the pukka Davis bracket, it gave me the idea for using my old satelite mounting hardware.

It works well and cost me nothing. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Gary.

·
Registered
846 Posts
When I saw the list price ($300) for the ceiling mount, I had the same reaction.

However, I did end up buying the ceiling mount for my lp350 for $200 from some online distributor. I do like the ease of the mount as well as the pitch and yaw features.

--Les

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just checked the price of the ceiling mount kit and it's $300. I'm sorry but a couple of pieces of sheet metal are not worth $300. Has anyone built their own? Would like to hear any ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.