AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The do-it-yourself ceiling mount threads seem to be gone.

I made myself one. The units I saw on the market didn't look as "clean" as I'd like it, but then, my mount is a bit more complex then I would like, I still think it looks cleaner than what I've seen, plus mine is made of aluminum, which I think I'll anodize it, with either black or clear.

Look here if interested:
http://demaagd.com/hometheater/ceilingmount.html

Maybe it is a bit on the advanced side of "DIY" as I did use CAD and a CNC milling machine to make my parts, but I still did it myself with the exception of the small amount of welding, which my dad is a certified welder.

Do others have galleries of their mounts?

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's a nice looking mount!

I'm currently still go over my options for mounting my AE100... currently it's sitting on a portable wine rack, but I'd like to mount it soon.

What items did you use to attach the mount to the ceiling? Toggle bolts?

Ken

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mounting the column straight to the ceiling, I used stainless steel wood screws, straight into the trusses. In mounting the projector mount plate to the column's bottom plate, I used thumb screws.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
When they made the split, Alan only moved the first two pages of threads to the "poor man's" forum. If you bump a thread in the "rich man's" forum that has to do with an under 5k projector it will possibly get moved by the moderator. I bumped a couple and then PM'd the moderator to get them moved to here. Wouldn't want to sully the "rich man's" forum with our lowly projector threads ;).

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of those home made mounts made for the Panasonics look less clunky than the "official" one from Japan.

·
Registered
102 Posts
JeffDM: Impressive mount!

Here's mine. Used 1.25" diameter pipe 24" long. A flange at the top and a flange at the bottom. Bought it all at Lowe's. I plan on running the wires up inside the pipe. Also plan on painting the wood and the pipe. Not sure what color...silver? black? white? ... purple?

http://home.houston.rr.com/chingader...HT/pjmount.jpg

Nice thing about this is that they have different lengths and widths of pipe to better fit your situation. From short & wide to long & thin.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I used a mount from a manfacturer called Ram-Mount that cost me $40. Since the mount consists of 2 locking ball joints, you can adjust the image for perfect placement. Since my had to tilt up a little, this made it much easier.

I do not have any pictures up yet but it was simple, secure and since a hush box is going around it, looks fine.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Those Ram-Mounts look very interesting, but it's not easy pinpointing models on their web-site. Which model did you use?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
mcody,

I agree with Robert. The Ram-mount site is very hard to navigate and find things. Could you please post which mount you used? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
DMerril,

Don't be bashful...Details

This looks like a professional mount. Peerless or Chief? Cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks Robert. No, it's a DIY based on a design posted by JasG in the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=diy+mount

However, instead of the piece of aluminum, I used a piece of 3/8" particle board. I rounded the corners and put several coats of primer on it to fill the particle board pock-marks. After a couple of topcoats, it's nice and smooth - you wouldn't guess it's wood.

Also different is that I don't use any standoffs - just thumbscrews through the plate into the mounting holes. You can use the adjustable feet of the 75U to play with fine tilt and pitch, so shimming is not necessary.

It seems to work very well. If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

Edit: Oh, and cost... around $50 (estimate: $17 speaker mount, $3 plate, $5 paint, $12 misc hardware, $12 thumbscrews - expensive devils) and an afternoon of my time.

Darren

·
Registered
102 Posts
Darren,

WOW. Puts mine to shame. I'm beginning to think it's time I stop procrastinating and paint mine. The black looks good, very professional. I was thinking of painting mine silver to match the pj, but now I don't know.

Did the pipe come in black or did you paint it black? Also, did you brush it on, or is it spray painted?

Bobby

·
Registered
107 Posts
Bobby - thanks. Paint hides lots of sins. :)

The pipe is actually a 3/4" copper repair sleeve that fits "perfectly" over the underlying shaft and nuts.

I used Rust-Oleum Hard Hat primer and flat black (spray). It dries *very* fast and is quite durable. However, it will show a shiny mark if you scratch it (caused by knocking down the flat texture). So, don't do like I did and "test" the durability in a conspicuous spot (which was later fixed with another coat).

Robert - I tried to PM you, but it keeps dying on me (or not, do you have like five responses? :)) You should be able to buy the mount individually (I did).

·
Registered
744 Posts
Where did you find those thumb screws? The only ones I can find are machine screw threads and I'm pretty sure the panny takes a 4mm thread.

Josh

·
Registered
107 Posts
Josh - the thumbscrews are actually female (8/64" or so, I think... don't remember exactly) that I forced 4mm bolts into (after applying a dab of Locktite). Once set, you then just cut off the head of the bolt and "whalla" - 4mm thumb screw.

I got the thumb screws from Lowes (@ roughly $3 each). Unfortunately, all the Lowes in my area are doing away with their specialty bins. There goes a great parts source for making these types of things...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.