AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to soon have 2 18in subwoofers up front on my setup and am worried (know) it may be time to upgrade my center channel at least (or start there). I am just getting into this so no laughs please and all have been had at 1/4 or less normal price so. I now have DCM 10a's on L/R and the matching center not sure on model number but has two 6-1/2's and a tweeter. Stereo integrity SI18's in each front corner. Side surround I have klipsch F3's and back surrounds are klipsch sf-1's. I was thinking of moving DCM's out to the man cave and moving F3's up to front and sf1's to side surround and can pick up some RS-35's for $150 for the back surrounds. So I would need a new center, really don't have the money for a $1000 center but want the best thing I can get or build for $300 or less. This is mostly for cosmetic reasons as the DCM's are shorter than the sub boxes and the klipschs are skinnier for room sake. But regardless the center is my week point so any DIY kits that would match F3's with grill off or any amazing ones out there? I have looked for just the matching drivers for RC-64's and can't really find anything. Best bang for the buck or what would never need a upgrade?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think that is enough? I went and listened to a Kc-25 today and was not impressed. And it has better specs.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
What about a Fusion-8 Alchemy MTM? Or perhaps the horizontal Tux-1099? Either of those would give similar sensitivity as the Klipsch, and use a waveguide for the high frequency driver which would sound more similar to the Klipsch than a typical dome tweeter. Plus I would venture to say that for under $400 or so in total cost you could best the RC-64!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not to big on the fusion look, and can not find the page with the tux on it. Saw some pics of the front baffle but none with drivers. Have any links by chance? Page 23 and I'm still flipping. Is the tux ready for sale as a full kit?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also I should of said this is running off of a normal receiver rated at 100w (but you know). So big power may not be a good thing it I can't push it. Sensitivity is a must.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
All of the Seos designs on the DIYSG site are high sensitivity. Including the Tux-1099. But, if you don't like the look of the Fusion-8 Alchemy MTM, then you probably won't like the look of the others. I personally think the Tux-1099 looks fantastic , but you may or may not agree. I believe that it was taken down off the site temporally as the woofers are out of stock at the moment, iirc.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crap, yeah I'm still looking for them with no luck. Are they the same style woofer/surrounds? I have just never heard a accordion styled speaker sounded that good. Ha. But wouldn't be the first time this site suprised me. I would really like the same style/look as the RC-64ii. But not sure I have the power for it. (Yet). I just like the look of many 5-1/2 6-1/2 or 8's with a tweeter or two splitting them up. Looks mean.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Other question would be all this talk of matching front 3's being so important. Should I really just go for the Kc-25 which is from the icon series (mine are synergy series) or go for the c-20 stated above just so they match? And get 3 of each. Ha. Is the Kc-25 close enough of a "match"? I can just get it from a local store and it has higher sensitivity. The c-20 would have to be ordered.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocks  /t/1522693/diy-center-channel#post_24487865

Crap, yeah I'm still looking for them with no luck. Are they the same style woofer/surrounds? I have just never heard a accordion styled speaker sounded that good. Ha. But wouldn't be the first time this site suprised me. I would really like the same style/look as the RC-64ii. But not sure I have the power for it. (Yet). I just like the look of many 5-1/2 6-1/2 or 8's with a tweeter or two splitting them up. Looks mean.

You will not have to worry about how much power you have with any of these DIYSG options as they are all high sensitivity and can be powered by any modern day receiver. As far as the looks go, it is not very practical from a performance stand point to have a MTM style center speaker as they are generally full of issues and compromises that most of us hardcore audio guys dislike. Although, the Fusion-8 Alchemy MTM is a an exception as it sounds great. I actually don't understand what you dislike about it as to me it actually looks sort of similar to the RC-64, the main difference being that it's a better performing speaker, cheaper, has more detail, mid-bass, smoother mid-range, and the bass response is better.

You can do a whole lot of things to change the overall look of the cabinet to make it look nicer. Things such as using a real wood veneer with a custom stain finish of your choice, you can use any wood type that you want, you could even do a nice curved cabinet to really dress it up! The sky is the limit as far as making the finished speaker look the way you want!

·
Banned
3,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocks  /t/1522693/diy-center-channel#post_24487904

Other question would be all this talk of matching front 3's being so important. Should I really just go for the Kc-25 which is from the icon series (mine are synergy series) or go for the c-20 stated above just so they match? And get 3 of each. Ha. Is the Kc-25 close enough of a "match"? I can just get it from a local store and it has higher sensitivity. The c-20 would have to be ordered.

I don't like to get too caught up in perfectly matching your front trio, that is, unless you listen to a lot of SACD multi-channel music. With that being said, those centers that you listed are pretty poor in performance, IMO. You would be way way way better off, performance wise, to go with either the Tux-1099, Fusion-8 Alchemy MTM, or another Seos-based design from DIYSG.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't dislike the setup or cabinet of it I dislike the actual speaker I see in the kit that has the accordion style surround on it. Don't know why just never have liked those style speakers, often see them on friends DJ equipment. I like the traditional style round rubber surrounds. That's the only thing I don't like about it. I kept looking last night and did not see one picture of the other kits and my iPad died. I'm all for any others without that style speaker. Sorry to be picky but I'll see it a lot.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1522693/diy-center-channel#post_24489304

The looks grows on you, but ya I get that. PA style isn't exactly thinking about aesthetics.

At first it looked REALLY odd to me. I think your design is what sold me on the look though.

I think the designs with (ugh blanking what's that black finish called....) kind of just bored me. The speaker looked too bland. But seeing other people's finish, seeing your design, and hearing about the upcoming dual woofer designs sold me. There are designs I definitely am not really interested in, but yours was very nice. The performance of all the speakers on that site though is enough for me to switch over. The fact that the sensitivity of each speaker is much higher than what I own currently is a plus as well as the multiple comments on quality from people switching over from MUCH nicer speakers than my current Polk Monitor 70s. I'd still just get another CrownXLS1500 but that's just at this point "Just because" lol.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so I know a lot went into designing it but is there no other option on the PA style ones? Or better yet if I did get over it can it even be ordered now?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocks  /t/1522693/diy-center-channel#post_24489645

Ok, so I know a lot went into designing it but is there no other option on the PA style ones? Or better yet if I did get over it can it even be ordered now?
http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/388014/width/1000/height/1000/flags/LL

That's a pic of the Tux 1099 center channel. And it'll be available for order soon. Price was too low the first time it was put up.

I doni't think EricH offers any other "center channel" but there are other places to order flatpack speaker kits I'm pretty sure. Or you could build your own some other design threads are out there. EricH just makes it really really simple....

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Redrocks, I am glad I found your post. I just finished doing the same thing you are doing. I have 2 MartyCubes in the front corners and am on my way to upgrading my center and mains. I just ordered the DIYSoundgroup MTM the one you don't like. I have been looking for one that I would like aesthetically since I started to change my subs and at my price range I cannot find anything close with the sensitivity and the output. From what I hear from the "in the know" guys here this center will blow me away. I went an listened to Klipsch, Polk and other speakers and when I asked about the comparison I was told that this one was much better. I am with you though, they are not the prettiest. I requested the matte horn instead of the shiny one and I am hoping that the purple on the speakers is not too bad. I know I need to get past the looks and concentrate on how great they are going to sound but its tough for me. I am hoping to receive them in the next week or so and I can give you my impressions on it.

I am sure they will be stellar. I am planning on using 3 of the MTM across the front stage and the single 8" or the Coaxial in a theater style cabinet (angled, deeper on top than the bottom) for surrounds.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I think the looks are hard to get through at first only because we've seen SO MANY commercial speakers that all use the same look. So seeing something new throws you off very hard.

@redrocks

Ya the tux 1099 speaker looks great (to me at least). The only issue I'd have is pairing it with the F3's from Klipsch, I'd think you'd be just unhappy with the F3s after hearing the Tux1099. I'm VERY unhappy with my Polk Monitor 70s after hearing my B&W center channel and that thing is TINY. Also the Tux 1099 isn't a small center channel so maybe you want the Fusion MTM build or a small Tux 1099 (I heard a dual 8 inch woofer build is in the works?).

Don't want to alarm you but just going solely off specs, I think the Klipsch F3 may be a much less speaker than the 1099. Going off what Tux said in Fatshaft's thread, I think you'd be better off with the Fusion 8 MTM or even the Fusion 6 MTM. If you like the Tux 1099 design though pick it up. It's more speaker than I'd probably ever use personally but the design is enough for me to want it. Most likely though by the time the Tux 1099 is on the website and ready again, there will be smaller multi woofer models as well.

That's just my personal opinion though, I'm sure someone else has more numbers than me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha, yeah it seems we are on the same journey at the same time. Going to have to start following you. Please do let me know, pictures and all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts