AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in getting into CIH. I'm wanting to play with a DIY prism lens, but I think I may be up against a wall... I'm using a short-throw projector (Panasonic AX200u) and I'm bumped up pretty close to full zoom (around 1.8x of available 2x). Is this arrangement going to completely preclude me from using a DIY prism CIH? Or will I just need to step up to larger prisms (maybe 5" x 7" instead of the standard 4" x 6")?

I currently have a 100" 16:9 screen and was hoping to keep the height the same, but move up to a 49" x 115" 2.35:1 screen. Is this going to be doable with my short throw ratio, max zoom hit, and screen size goals?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Projector location and screen location are fixed. Projector is up against a pitched ceiling and moving it back would mean moving it lower, and even then there's only about 12-18" to gain. Screen is also contending with a pitched ceiling, though I might be able to get 4-6" more by lowering it a bit when I build my false wall... but that would put my eye-line at about mid-screen instead of ~1/3 low as I have it now. If anything gives, it'll be the screen size, but I don't want to decrease my 16:9 diaganol much... if I dropped it to 92" that would only move my zoom from around 1.8x to 1.7x.

More than anything, I'd like to know what crystal wedge size I need to order before hand to avoid the cost and hassle of returning and exchanging them. If I don't hear back from many folks, I'll probably just start with the 5x7 to be on the safe side.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/16955273

but that would put my eye-line at about mid-screen instead of ~1/3 low as I have it now.

Not to hi-jack the thread, however this comment caught my attention. When I designed and built my Curved AT Screen, I also was of the mind set that it was best with my eye line below 1/3rd from the bottom of the screen.

At this time, my eye line is centre and I am wishing now that I did not lower my speakers when I built the baffles. They're positioned with their tops at the centre of the screen due to being aware that I was aiming for an eye line 1/3rd up. Tradionally, an AT screen screen has the speakers centred and when I rebuild this, I will certainly be aiming for an eye line centre of the screen. I find the images much more enjoyable with that slight elevation of the head.

The interesting point to this is that when I go to a commercial cinema, I also sit (for stadium seating) so that my eye line is centred.

So to get back on topic, if moving the projector back to increase your TR requires you to raise your eyeline, then I would go for that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.