AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after doing a little surfing online, I found that cinebars already made can cost up to 2k! Looks like another DIY project for me

Started with a basic frame. I will probably add more support legs to it before i wrap it in mdf or plywood.

Here it is with the top and stained. Its not attached yet.

Next i created this film reel and actual movie scenes in powerpoint. I printed, laminated and glued them down to the top. There are a total of 25 pics. I'm hoping these will be a good conversation piece with guests.

Here are the pics of the film reel i printed and laminated

After allowing the glue to dry, I then started my epoxy resin kit i got from Lowes

Here is the result. a nice glass finish. Needs 3 days to completly cure. Hope everyone in my house can resist the urge to touch it!

Next i'll be working on the base itself. Still not entirely sure the color and material to use. I'll update this then.

In the meantime, I'll start on my star ceiling drop panels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am putting one in my theater also, and yours looks about the same size. My plan was to rip some 2x4's in half and glue them together to get that thick and heavy feel, like a butcher block. Just can't figure out what color to stain the top. Your pics look very nice, I like the color and film reels.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Just can't figure out what color to stain the top. Your pics look very nice, I like the color and film reels.
I used 1 coat of deep red. cant remember the exact color number and brand but i still have the can. I'll post a pic of it when update the pics

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon  /t/1472218/diy-cinebar#post_23315845

Love the film reel! Replace the Transformers pic with a scene with Ripley in the Aliens' Cargo Loader and you would be golden!
Thanks!

Little to late now. The epoxy has already been poured and hardened LOL. The idea of the reel was literally a last minute thing that popped into my head so all i could do was think of as many popular movies to fit in them within a span of 20 minutes. Now that you mentioned it, I wish Aliens had popped in my head. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkseo  /t/1472218/diy-cinebar#post_23315970

Thanks!

Little to late now. The epoxy has already been poured and hardened LOL. The idea of the reel was literally a last minute thing that popped into my head so all i could do was think of as many popular movies to fit in them within a span of 20 minutes. Now that you mentioned it, I wish Aliens had popped in my head. Oh well.

I was just ribbin ya, it was a good list (Mostly.. HAHA). I love the idea. Much better than posters.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon  /t/1472218/diy-cinebar#post_23315976

I was just ribbin ya, it was a good list (Mostly.. HAHA). I love the idea. Much better than posters.

Its def gonna be a great conversation piece amongst friends. Wife was already trying to figure out the name of the movies in the scenes. Got these wrong:

Star Wars: she said Star TREK

Jaws: she said SHARK

She didnt know what gremlins was LOL

EDIT: OH and she thought Ghostbusters was "blockbusters" LOL

·
Registered
4,968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkseo  /t/1472218/diy-cinebar#post_23316010

Its def gonna be a great conversation piece amongst friends. Wife was already trying to figure out the name of the movies in the scenes. Got these wrong:

Star Wars: she said Star TREK

Jaws: she said SHARK

She didnt know what gremlins was LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkseo  /t/1472218/diy-cinebar#post_23316010

EDIT: OH and she thought Ghostbusters was "blockbusters" LOL

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah - looks beautiful and seems very simple. I have been looking for something very similar and agree, on-line prices seem a bit steep.

What are the dimensions of this?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftr  /t/1472218/diy-cinebar#post_23319250

Yeah - looks beautiful and seems very simple. I have been looking for something very similar and agree, on-line prices seem a bit steep.

What are the dimensions of this?
Thanks the dimentions of the top is 85" in length, 13" wide. The height is 43". Fits 3 bar stools

·
Registered
299 Posts
Awesome, thanks. I will probably steal this design!

My wife loved the movie reel! (And she would know the difference between Star Wars and Trek - only b/c I finally made her watch All the Star Wars a few years ago!)

Reactions: linkseo

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftr  /t/1472218/diy-cinebar#post_23319943

...- only b/c I finally made her watch All the Star Wars a few years ago!)

Why did you torture her? Should have kept it to the original trilogy! think I own about 650+ movies now, many of them I'll never watch again, yet I still refuse to purchase the 3 Star Wars prequels, and I'll hear none of the "Ep III was kinda good" talk!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Lol -nice. But I liked Ep 3....... Actually when watching some shows if I started I feel like I should finish them. I guess I'm not as picky although I don't but many movies - very few I want to watch again as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts