AVS Forum banner

4081 - 4100 of 4816 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
nick, what do you recommend the DPI be set at for 72", Is 300 ok?
The biggest thing will be that you will need a really clean starting image. You can "upscale" it to 300 dpi if you would like, but most likely it will be an artificial enlargement unless you are creating images from scratch.

So if you can get a really large, un-manipulated (not already enlarged) original image, then you can do 300 dpi and should be very happy. I find it very rare to find images that are THAT high of quality, so that is why I save the filesize and do most of my work at 150dpi. Since we are printing on fabric which already isn't as smooth as paper, let alone photo paper, there is some details that get lost. Don't get me wrong, they still look amazing, but this can work to your advantage in that it helps to hide enlargement artifacts.

When I do enlargement for people, I work to remove as much of those artifacts as possible so that they don't show up at all in the final product.

For example, I found a random Black Panther movie post image via Google. It was 24" x 36" @ 72dpi. The image looks to be full resolution (not enlarged at all) and is 1.9MB in size.
I ran it through my enlargement software with the same starting settings that I use for almost all enlargements when starting with a good source image.
At 150 dpi, when viewed at 100%, you can see that it has been enlarged... The image is softer, and the more you enlarge, the more it looks like a detailed water color. It still will be outstanding when printed. File size is now 15.2MB.
I process it at 300 dpi and change nothing else. The look of being enlarged is even more pronounced at 100% viewing. The file size is now 48.2MB.

Even with the PhotoZoom Pro software I use, I've only "faked" the pixels that are needed to make it bigger, and the benefit of "faking" above 150dpi really starts to be negligible. The other factor is that places like MyFabricDesigns have a file size limit. I've never been able to upload a file that is even close to their posted file size limit either. Keep in mind that this is still just a 24" x 36" image. Going bigger will compound those file sizes.

So yes, 300dpi would be great if you had an image that big that didn't need to be enlarged due to a great native resolution, but the limitations of file size and the diminishing benefit between you enlarging to 300dpi, or using a 150dpi image and having their printers do the final enlarging to their native 300dpi, it really doesn't look much different.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nick - Is it possible you can direct me somewhere where I can find pics of your finished space? I would like to see treatment behind AT screen and in the room as I am visual learner. :)

Without doing any measuring, you would put a panel at each first reflection point (people talk about using the "mirror method" to find this, and it works well), something on the rear wall and then a couple of panels spread around the room for general control.

That is about as basic as it gets.

I would say that the minimum panel size should be 24" x 36", with 24" x 48" being a bit better of course, but if doing movie poster type images, the 24" x 36" size ratio (width to height) is better for the images to work.

I have a room that sounds pretty good. It is soundproofed and has acoustical treatments. The room is 14' wide x 24' long x 7.8' tall. I have my entire front wall treated. "Chunk" style bass traps in the front left and right vertical corners, and then 3.5" thick recycled denim insulation from floor to ceiling covering the rest. This is all covered in a cheap black fabric and everything is hidden behind an acoustically transparent false wall and AT screen. I have 10 panels in the rest of my room. Four 24" x 48" x 3.5" thick panels with 2" OC703 in them for each the side walls, a 24" x 48" x 5.5" thick panel with 4" thick OC703 positioned horizontally on my rear wall above the 2nd row hear rests and between my equipment rack and media shelves that are in the two rear corners. The last panel is a 36" x 72" x 2" thick panel on my ceiling that has fiber optic "stars" in it.

The wall panels use a designed "artwork" that I made years ago, and the ceiling panel with the fiber optic stars uses a super high resolution image from NASA.

That all should give you some ideas on coverage based off of your room.

My "next step" recommendation from there would be to actually put diffusion panels at the front most first reflection points. This will give you a nice wide sound stage up front, but still help to get rid of those reflections by taking that sound energy and instead of absorbing it, it breaks it up into smaller, less audible bits and letting them spray around the room and "die" on their own. I know that it can sound counter-intuitive to "spray" sound around, but the idea is that your brain can ignore reflections if they are below a certain energy level and/or if they hit your ears at a distinguishable delay from the main audio that you want to hear. It is when 2 high energy sound waves of the same thing hit your ear within fractions of a second of each other that your brain thinks that they are one sound and then things sound "muddy"...

Anyway, hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You can scan through my build thread and see how I treated the front wall behind the AT screen. Simple 2X4 framing with 2X2's layed on the inside of them to mount the 2" deep OC703 boards leaving a 1&1/2" open cavity behind them.

Nick - Is it possible you can direct me somewhere where I can find pics of your finished space? I would like to see treatment behind AT screen and in the room as I am visual learner. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Printing is limited by the width of the fabric and number of yards per print.

So if you take a 36" x 48" image, add a 4" boarder all around, you have a 44" x 56" print. Basic Combed Cotton, as an example, is 54" wide I believe, so 56" is obviously too wide to print on the 56" fabric width, and 44" is too big to fit into a single 36" yard of fabric as well.

So you would have to print the 44" amount on the 54" width, and then print "2 yards" of the fabric (72" total) to get the room for 54"...
Hi Nick,

It seems the 48" panel height is driving the need for using 2 yards of fabric per panel. I'm planning on buying 24"x48"x2" pre-made frames and printing the fabric to go over the frame. If I went with a 3" border (instead of 4") I would fill up the entire 54" width of the basic combed cotton with the long dimension of my image. Do you have any experience finishing a frame with just a 3" border on a 2" frame? I don't want to print 4 to 6 of these only to find out the 3" border is, say, 1/2" too short and installing the fabric becomes a real PITA.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Hi Nick,

It seems the 48" panel height is driving the need for using 2 yards of fabric per panel. I'm planning on buying 24"x48"x2" pre-made frames and printing the fabric to go over the frame. If I went with a 3" border (instead of 4") I would fill up the entire 54" width of the basic combed cotton with the long dimension of my image. Do you have any experience finishing a frame with just a 3" border on a 2" frame? I don't want to print 4 to 6 of these only to find out the 3" border is, say, 1/2" too short and installing the fabric becomes a real PITA.

Thanks,
Steve
If you want to cut it "close" you could add just 1/2" more than the actual border and still have enough fabric to work with. The whole idea is just to have a little extra printed fabric to wrap around the back... There will be a good amount of unprinted (white) fabric to use that you will cut away after stapling it. The last time I got prints, there were a few inches of unprinted fabric all the way around that was outside of the printable area.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I had to do some digging all the way back to 2011 to find some photos during final construction. The best I found was one with the floor to ceiling corner chunk bass traps and the front wall covered down to just above the power and speaker wall plates.

That main section is 2x4 framing on top of the drywall , and the 3.5" denim insulation inbetween the 2x4 studs. Everything just covered in cheap black fabric.

This is all hidden by a false wall and screen as well... A few years after this, I ended up increasing the space between the false wall and the "real wall" in the room. I wanted to be able to experiment with different speaker placements (going wider) and was adding a 2nd large sub up front that I needed to make room for.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2686496&thumb=1

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a roughly 2' tall by 4' wide space on the back wall that I want to build a panel for. Does anyone have some suggestions of good iconic movie scenes that would be good for a panoramic shot like that?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a roughly 2' tall by 4' wide space on the back wall that I want to build a panel for. Does anyone have some suggestions of good iconic movie scenes that would be good for a panoramic shot like that?
Head over to MovieMania.io and check out some of their desktop format images. I'm sure you'll find something that interests you.
https://www.moviemania.io/desktop

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
You can find a number of star wars images around that are wide images. Usually involving some form of space craft.
I did a quick search of my own collection and came up with the following:
  • Star Destroyer over San Francisco
  • Star Destroyer over a lake with a planet in the background
  • Three original Star Wars movies side by side and in an artistic format (3 different versions of this)
  • Star Wars collage of Episode IV
  • Millennium Falcon over a planet (this one is the original of the one you see others split into 3 panels)
  • Another Millennium Falcon over a different planet, more in space though
  • Millennium Falcon being chanced by Tie Fighters from The Force Awakens

I know it doesn't help to not have pictures to look at, but I don't even know if you are interested in a Star Wars concept. Most of the above have no words, so they are more images than "posters"... Even some of the "posters" have no words.

I also have a Lord of the Rings artistic poster combo (3 posters side by side - no words) and another that is a main character collage.

Hard to know what you are "in to" to know what to recommend.

·
Registered
409 Posts
We're certainly star wars fans, so all of those you mention are potential candidates for sure. Are you offering those up for me to use? I can PM you my email address if you wanted to send me some thumbnails...

Reactions: nickbuol

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
We're certainly star wars fans, so all of those you mention are potential candidates for sure. Are you offering those up for me to use? I can PM you my email address if you wanted to send me some thumbnails...
I'll see what I can get you tomorrow. It is 11:35pm as I am posting this and will be at my in-laws all afternoon tomorrow, so I will grab my laptop, remote back to my home PC, grab the images, make some small versions, and email them to you...

More detail than you wanted, but yeah, I'll hook you up with what I can.

·
Registered
862 Posts
So I ordered two of these not for acoustic panels but to cover up my extremely ugly speakers and WoW am i pleased :D
I wanted 100% acoustic (see attached REW before/after panel ) and a nice drape so I took a chance and ordered the Polyester Crepe Jersey fabric and frankly they've exceeded my expectations. They were delivered in 7 days and thankfully only had minor creases and look phenomenal. I'll be ordering two more for the back surrounds, I just have to figure out if I want them floor to ceiling instead. Thanks all and @nickbuol for all the great info

Btw, I'm open to suggestions on best way to hang them. The speakers are ~18x18X8

Edit*
You could make light weight frames out of 1x1's. If you keep it light enough you can attach them to the fabric they are hanging from in the picture.

Something like this speaker grill frame kit might be lighter than using boards.
Thanks for the suggestion. I saw something on a site that I liked and decided to try it. It's basically a halter top lol in person it really looks good tho :)

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
So I ordered two of these not for acoustic panels but to cover up my extremely ugly speakers and WoW am i pleased :D
I wanted 100% acoustic (see attached REW before/after panel ) and a nice drape so I took a chance and ordered the Polyester Crepe Jersey fabric and frankly they've exceeded my expectations. They were delivered in 7 days and thankfully only had minor creases and look phenomenal. I'll be ordering two more for the back surrounds, I just have to figure out if I want them floor to ceiling instead. Thanks all and @nickbuol for all the great info

Btw, I'm open to suggestions on best way to hang them. The speakers are ~18x18X8
You could make light weight frames out of 1x1's. If you keep it light enough you can attach them to the fabric they are hanging from in the picture.

Something like this speaker grill frame kit might be lighter than using boards.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just got an email for a 1 day only sale today, February 29th!
Got the same email, but code isn't working for some reason.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I wonder if that is why they just sent out an extension to the sale email...

Through 03/03/2020 it is 29% off using code LEAPYEAR2

As always, if a code doesn't work online, people have had 100% success giving them a call after everything is in their cart and their support people are able to adjust the price or provide a code that works (although you would think that the codes that they email out would work in the first place).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just saw this discount code and thinking about getting a few. Anyone have any good poster images they’d like to share or a good place to download some? I haven’t had the chance to read through the entire thread to see the best size of images for typical acoustic panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just saw this discount code and thinking about getting a few. Anyone have any good poster images they’d like to share or a good place to download some? I haven’t had the chance to read through the entire thread to see the best size of images for typical acoustic panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moviemania.io has tons of textless posters. There's also a few threads over at Blu-ray.com.

Also, check out blister's video on the image scaling and construction of his panels.

4081 - 4100 of 4816 Posts