AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 4775 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
You are correct. Insulation fibres are nasty bad for people to breathe in. I am on a business trip this week, but I basically covered the backs of mine with cheap fabric by just stapling it to the inside of the back so that there was room to wrap the more important front fabric and staple it wherever I wanted, then I put the insulation in, and then trimmed the fabric so you wouldn't see if from the sides or front. Then when I got my printed fabric for the fronts, I just stapled that to the back.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/1050#post_24532789

You do not want to breath Fiberglass

http://www.lung.org/healthy-air/home/resources/fiberglass.html

Unfortunately, I've already been there. Did construction for a summer when I was 18. Ripped all the insulation out of an attic and was sick for a week afterwards. Got back in time to put insulation back in the attic but refused to do it without a wearing a mask. The foreman gave me crap about it so I told him he could do it without a mask since it wasn't a big deal. He got me a mask. That was my last summer doing construction...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I cut up a cheat bedsheet from Walmart to cover the backs of our posters, but used acoustical cotton as the filling so the fibers weren't a concern anyway

Reactions: nickbuol

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/1050#post_24532853

Unfortunately, I've already been there. Did construction for a summer when I was 18. Ripped all the insulation out of an attic and was sick for a week afterwards. Got back in time to put insulation back in the attic but refused to do it without a wearing a mask. The foreman gave me crap about it so I told him he could do it without a mask since it wasn't a big deal. He got me a mask. That was my last summer doing construction...

Did that experience motivate you to do something bigger and better? Just wondering what you do now for a career. I find it interesting to find out if/when people have experiences that motivate them to do something else.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/1050#post_24533960

Did that experience motivate you to do something bigger and better? Just wondering what you do now for a career. I find it interesting to find out if/when people have experiences that motivate them to do something else.

It was definitely one of them. I actually enjoyed the framing and building part of it, just not the rest, i.e. insulation, caulking, really hate to paint, etc. I'll leave it do those who are good at it.

There were a number of other jobs, but mainly the medical field for the past 10 or 11yrs. Been a medic for 10ys, done some flxed-wing flight stuff too. It's a job unlike any other😒. The last couple of years I've switched to diagnostic imaging (xray, ct, mri) and like it better.

You?

·
Registered
67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/1050#post_24530542

What do you cover the back with?

I intend to use a cheap bed sheet as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon13  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/990#post_24505928

Here is what I just sent to spoonflower. They guarantee delivery on 3/25.

Whoops. They guarantee they ship on 3/25. They will be here tomorrow. Picked up the 1x4 Hemlock tonight. I'll start building the frames tomorrow after work.

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/1050#post_24534647

It was definitely one of them. I actually enjoyed the framing and building part of it, just not the rest, i.e. insulation, caulking, really hate to paint, etc. I'll leave it do those who are good at it.

There were a number of other jobs, but mainly the medical field for the past 10 or 11yrs. Been a medic for 10ys, done some flxed-wing flight stuff too. It's a job unlike any other😒. The last couple of years I've switched to diagnostic imaging (xray, ct, mri) and like it better.

You?

Sorry for the detour guys but just one post.

Sounds like you've done a few different jobs which is pretty cool. Glad you are liking your current job.

I worked at a place called Plasti-line while I took a break from college one semester and decided college was a much better idea. The company told people before Christmas that it was a good year and they would be keeping everyone for the next year as they had a lot of work. A couple guys went in and inquired about their jobs as they were going to buy a new car or truck and one even said he was planning to buy a house but the answer was, yeah, you guys are good. Came back after New Year's and they laid a whole bunch of people off, including me. It worked for me as I just went back to the Univ. of Tennessee and was quite motivated to do well. Funny thing is they called me about a month later asking if I'd come back to work...no way in hell. I ended up getting a job at the computer labs on campus, became the only student on a team of 4 administrators taking care of all of the major labs on campus, and then they paid for me to get my Masters in Industrial Engineering. Now I'm a consultant for a major computer company. I've had two jobs that really helped motivate me to get a college degree so that I'd have more options.

·
Registered
905 Posts
That catching fire one looks awesome, the blacks on that are fantastic. Also looks like a super hi-res picture.

What material did you use for those?

I plan on making at least 1 more panel in the not-to-distant future, but not for my HT. I'm going to print out a picture of my wife and I to hang on the wall elsewhere, but I plan on still using this same process without the 2" thick wood and the insulation. I planned on just using the PK again though, but was also contemplating using the SF just to try it.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/1050#post_24541247

That catching fire one looks awesome, the blacks on that are fantastic. Also looks like a super hi-res picture.

I plan on making at least 1 more panel in the not-to-distant future, but not for my HT. I'm going to print out a picture of my wife and I to hang on the wall elsewhere, but I plan on still using this same process without the 2" thick wood and the insulation. I planned on just using the PK again though, but was also contemplating using the SF just to try it.

My SF print is delayed, ordered on the 10th. Unfortunately, I ordered it before folks started talking about adding black borders around their images. Definitely a great idea, guess it'll have to wrap around the frame😕

·
Registered
895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/1050#post_24541451

My SF print is delayed, ordered on the 10th. Unfortunately, I ordered it before folks started talking about adding black borders around their images. Definitely a great idea, guess it'll have to wrap around the frame😕

Black border has been discussed for a very long time. I'm pretty sure you can cancel your order at anytime before it prints. You should be able to just cancel and request Spoonflower dollars and re-submit your order with the black borders if you wanted to. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1970  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/1050#post_24541549

Black border has been discussed for a very long time. I'm pretty sure you can cancel your order at anytime before it prints. You should be able to just cancel and request Spoonflower dollars and re-submit your order with the black borders if you wanted to. Just a thought.

Just checked, it's already printed😕

Also, they'll ship it rolled on a spool for $25👎

·
Registered
895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/1050#post_24541247

I'm pretty sure he used Silky Faille judging by post 935 in this thread. Hopefully he will confirm for you. I did exactly what you are describing for about 6 different photos for different people around xmas time. I didn't add a border, but wrapped the print around the sides and they turned out great. I used silky Faille and posted a crappy picture (phone camera) on post # 734. I think we established the print quality on the SF is real nice. IMHO the only thing the PK beats it on is PK is easier to blow through. I don't think that is a big negative as IMHO the SF is still easier to blow through than fabric used on professional panels. My point though is that since you are not doing acoustical panels I see no harm in giving the SF a go. Just my opinion if you wanted to give a try this would be a good chance for you.

·
Registered
895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/1050#post_24541653

Just checked, it's already printed😕

Also, they'll ship it rolled on a spool for $25👎

I think they look great with the print wrapped around the sides anyway. The only downfall is you have to make your frames a tad smaller to accommodate the sides. Can't wait to see pictures when you are done!

·
Registered
4,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1970  /t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/1050#post_24541667

I think they look great with the print wrapped around the sides anyway. The only downfall is you have to make your frames a tad smaller to accommodate the sides. Can't wait to see pictures when you are done!

Yeah I think it'll look fine. I'll do a border next time. Just hope the curved lines don't look as pixelated printed as they do on the computer. We'll see...

Edit: looking at the image again, it's pretty much black all around the edges anyway so I'm not too worried.

1061 - 1080 of 4775 Posts