AVS Forum banner

1541 - 1560 of 4779 Posts

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,628 Posts
So what does everyone recommend I use for the insulation? OC 703 or other?
I used Roxul Rockboard 60 for wall treatments but OC703 is great too. And I used the Roxul Safe & Sound that you can get from Lowes for the ceiling treatments. I wouldn't use the Safe & Sound in wall treatments as they aren't rigid and could sag.

I used a bread knife to cut the insulation and that worked well.

Regarding size, many recommend leaving an inch between the insulation and the wall so you might build the frame 3" deep and put the insulation near the front to leave the 1" near the wall.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I used Roxul Rockboard 60 for wall treatments but OC703 is great too. And I used the Roxul Safe & Sound that you can get from Lowes for the ceiling treatments. I wouldn't use the Safe & Sound in wall treatments as they aren't rigid and could sag.

I used a bread knife to cut the insulation and that worked well.

Regarding size, many recommend leaving an inch between the insulation and the wall so you might build the frame 3" deep and put the insulation near the front to leave the 1" near the wall.
Spot on. That is why I like the OC703. Roxul Rockboard 60 is good stuff too. You want rigid. The people that used the Safe n Sound I think had to put a gap between their front fabric and the insulation to keep it from "bowing" out from the more saggy material. Others put a few dowels in the front and back of the less-rigid insulation to hold it in place, but in my book, by the time you do all that messing around, you could have just paid a few bucks more and got something rigid and used that wasted space from trying to hold the insulation up as an air gap between the insulation and their wall and boosted the performance of the panel.

Check out the links I posted earlier and find a product that looks like it is what you want and call your local home improvement stores to see what they have or can get.

A crash course on the numbers from those links:
The higher the density, generally the lower it will absorb (thickness also plays into this).

The other numbers with the Hz number above them basically mean (again, not detailed, just crash course) how well that material absorbs that frequency. The closer to 1.0, the closer to "full absorption." I know, some numbers are greater than 1.0... This is a crash course, and basically for what we are doing, wee don't care above 1.0 for general absorbers like the panels here.

The NRC is the Noise Reduction Coefficent. Again, 0 is perfectly reflective, and 1.0 means perfectly absorptive. This is more of an "overall rating" based off of a standardized test. So as you can see, some materials have a higher number on the low end, and are typically more dense and thicker to get to those numbers. Air gaps help as well and theoretically a 2" panel with a 2" air gap approaches (fairly closely) to the same real world absorption as a 4" panel with no air gap. This is great since it helps us to keep costs down of course since the 4" panel costs more than the 2" panel (with its "free" 2" air gap).

At home I have a link to a site with a calculator that you can put in the properties of the acoustical material, add other materials (or air gaps) and it shows you the performance comparison on a graph. I can't remember the name of it, and Google isn't being my friend tonight. I travel home tomorrow and hopefully I will remember to find it. I thought that I used it here in this thread somewhere, but maybe that was on a different site...

Anyway, for more details on the numbers, look here:
http://www.acoustical.com/documentation/acoustical-education/32-what-is-nrc-stc-and-saa-acoustical-material-distributors-inc

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
EDIT: I found it! Back in post 1332 of this topic... Again, notice the nice low end improvement by just adding, in this case, a 1.5" air gap like I did. The green line would represent my 6 side panels, and the yellow line would represent my since rear panel.

I wanted to provide a graph showing 2" of OC703 with no air gap, vs 2" of OC703 with a 1.5" air gap, vs 4" of OC703 with no air gap vs 4" of OC703 with a 1.5" air gap and their performance...

Click here for the cool graph and calculator

You can use that page to also edit various parameters as needed as well.

Here is the graph in case that website ever vanishes years from now. As you can see, putting an air gap behind the 2" material REALLY helps to make it perform like the 4" material, but of course air is a lot cheaper than the thicker insulation.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Here is 2" and 4" OC703 with 0" and 2" air gaps:

http://www.acousticmodelling.com/mlink.php?t=22&n=4&e=h&m=6&im=1&l1=OC703%202in%20%20%20No%20Air%20Gap&s11=2&d11=50.8&v11=23600%20&l2=OC703%202in%20%20%20%202in%20Air%20Gap&s21=2&d21=50.8&v21=23600%20&s22=1&d22=50.8&l3=OC703%204in%20%20%20No%20Air%20Gap&s31=2&d31=101.6&v31=23600&l4=OC703%204in%20%202in%20Air%20Gap&s41=2&d41=101.6&v41=23600&s42=1&d42=50.8

I also just realized that my graph in the post before this, I didn't use the correct air gap thickness for my 4" OC703. I used 28mm instead of 38.1, so I am getting a little bit better low end performance with my 1.5" (38.1mm) air gap than the yellow shows.

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,628 Posts
I ordered on the evening of Aug. 19 and just my order just shipped today. I may have it by Saturday since I'm just a state away and they are using USPS.

My printings are a little different as they are "art" and not movie posters. Should help with the sound in my living room theater. The first two are 36"x24". The last one is larger at 48"x32".

Attachments

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Good stuff Dave! It'll be like you're glamping every day

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,628 Posts
Good stuff Dave! It'll be like you're glamping every day
Smart something or other. :) I'm not much a fan of Warhol but there was a nice piece by Monet I wanted but I couldn't find a high-res enough pict online,,,so apparently we like nature photos. :) And I'd say we don't do glamping but I've got one of those big canvas tents so it's probably closer to glamping than camping but at least it isn't vamping (camping out of the van). :)

Now don't you have more MDF dust to inhale? :p

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I ordered on the evening of Aug. 19 and just my order just shipped today. I may have it by Saturday since I'm just a state away and they are using USPS.

My printings are a little different as they are "art" and not movie posters. Should help with the sound in my living room theater. The first two are 36"x24". The last one is larger at 48"x32".
Great image choices. Can't wait to see pictures of them in your room myself.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Smart something or other. :) I'm not much a fan of Warhol but there was a nice piece by Monet I wanted but I couldn't find a high-res enough pict online,,,so apparently we like nature photos. :) And I'd say we don't do glamping but I've got one of those big canvas tents so it's probably closer to glamping than camping but at least it isn't vamping (camping out of the van). :)

Now don't you have more MDF dust to inhale? :p

Guess you haven't checked my build thread

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

·
Registered
79 Posts

Nicely done, what fabric did you end up going with?

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,628 Posts
Guess you haven't checked my build thread
What I see are pieces of wood that need to be assembled...and yet you're in here giving me a hard time. :D But seriously, great job so far, especially with limited tools.

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,628 Posts
Girmic ordered samples of Silky Faille and Performance Knit with many small movie posters on them. After he was done with them and selected Performance Knit, he sent them to me and paid for shipping from Canada. I truly appreciated the opportunity to compare the two fabrics in person and now it is my turn to pass it forward. So the first one to Private Message me will get the two samples shipped via USPS mail (limit of $10 or so just in case someone from Australia wants me to send them for free :)). Thanks again Girmic for sending me the samples. I actually meant to forward them sooner but I've been swamped with starting a business.

EDIT - SAMPLE PRINTS CLAIMED.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
And for those on the fence as to which to use, it just goes to show that even when looking at the same samples, people still don't pick the same material based off of their own opinions. I know that some people wish that there was just 1 fabric to use, but unfortunately (or maybe it IS fortunately) we have 2 and people have to weigh the pros and cons of each to make their choice. People have been successful with both, and again, it just comes down to needs from a breathe-ability, stretchability, color accuracy, and sheen.

Both products will look great. Can't wait to see more pictures. Speaking of which, I have to do some poster image hunting today and some image resizing, tweaking, etc for a couple of people that have been waiting for me to get home from a business trip. I better start working on that today....

·
Registered
939 Posts
Nick, how far out are you currently? I'm about to decide on 8 images I'll need formatted if you don't mind helping out.

·
Registered
939 Posts
What size is best for these? 24"x48" or 36x48?

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,628 Posts
What size is best for these? 24"x48" or 36x48?
Since the fabric is 54" wide and can be print across multiple yards, I think you'll find your image (resolution) to be the limiting factor.

I have two coming tomorrow that are 36"x24". The last one is larger at 48"x32" and with the 3" black border on all sides, I had to go up to 2 yards but that leaves plenty of room on all sides.

Reactions: blish2
1541 - 1560 of 4779 Posts