AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone Made their own screen frame and used Da-Lite material for the actual screen? The Cinema Contour frame with the HCCV material in the approximate size I am considering comes to almost $1000. Just the screen material comes to about $150!!!!

I absolutely can't afford the $1000, but $150 is easily in reach. Anyone try this before, or have any tips?

I'm thinking I could make a frame out of wood with joints at the corners and just stretch the screen fabric over that, stapling it to the back, much like an artists frame. I'm hoping the material doesn't tear when I staple it.

Any advice?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I've not done this but I'm sure it has been done. Instead of stapling it like you've described, I'd do this. Use 4 pieces of wood trim, perhaps 1" x 3/8", to hold the Dalite to your frame. Wrap the edges of the Dalite around the trim and staple it to the trim. You then can pull the trim to tighten the Dalite and screw the trim to the frame. That way the trim would hold the Dalite instead of only the staples.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
carter9000

If you have sampled this screen and are happy with it then I think diying a frame is an excellent way to go besides being easier and cheaper than some other (diy) options.

ONE word of caution is the way to attach the material to your frame I would considering glueing velcro to the material and frame and mount it that way .

With velcro you have flexibility and adjustments if you develop wrinkles or even just getting the wrinkles out when mounting to the frame .

Some screen materials are sensitive to overstretching and once stapled it is a pain to fine tune the wrinkles , IF you do decide to staple it double up the edge so the material will have more resistance to tearing .

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I like Bruce's suggestion to use Velcro even better. I'd probably wrap the Dalite around and Velcro it to the sides or back of the frame.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same with DaLite's High Power material. Woud the same instructions apply to that as well? I have both the High Power and High contrast Matte White sample and the High Power seems much stiffer than the HCMW, so should I still use velcro to attach it to the frames? As for ordering the materials directly from DaLite, I've heard that some people got a model B at a cheaper cost than the material itself, is that true?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Due to lack of time, and lack of tools, I broke down and bought a frame. I wouldn't have had time to build my own for over a month, because I am working almost everyday of the week. Spent way more than I wanted to, but oh well.

I still would like to try and do a DIY project. Maybe try making a portable screen.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hey Carter, did you end up buying your own frame and just attached the DaLite material to that? How much did you spent on the frame itself? Did you also find that you need other black-out materials around the frame to absorb any light spill?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Blazemaster, did you build the frame with the Highpower. I am thing of going this route but I am having a having difficulting find info on how to do it. I want to buy the model B and then take the screen apart and put it on a DIY frame. Anyone else out there have done this?

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
I was on fLeaBay the other day and there's a guy that sells 1.3 gain material in various sizes. Supposedly he'll also send explicit instructions on how to build a DIY frame. May be worth a look.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
affeking,

Contact Jason here at AVS and he can give you "material only" pricing. Email is the easiest way to get him.

Jason C. Turk

Sales Manager/Installation Manager

A/V Science, Inc.

585-454-1460 ext. 10 (office)

315-538-9806 (direct)
[email protected]

Jason Turk (PM)

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

I have 106" High Contrast Cinema Vision screen material for sale with the button snaps. $300+shipping&insurance. Great screen material for lcd, dlp, dila, lcos projectors. I accept paypal email me if your interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.