AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

Sitting here watching Dream House on the DIY Network and they are building their own dream house, well better said they are contracting everything out themselves.

Anyways, they are including a media room and so far the budget is $33,000 for electronics. Not sure for what, but looks like from a box store of some sort.

Reason I'm typing this is the consultant just quoted him $20,000 for sound proofing his room.....eek....!!!!

Show still in progress....stay tuned

PS: posted in this thread but maybe should have been in HDTV thread but thought everyone here would enjoy....move if you want mods.

Guess he should really DIY his media room.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

$20K doesn't seem unreasonable - but depends on the extent of the treatments. You can save a lot of $ DIYing, but the materials add up quickly. Double or triple drywall (and/or QuietRock), whisper clips, hat channel, Green Glue, exterior door, putty pads, dead vents - I'd have more concerns about it not being done right.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20823893

That includes $10,000 for the consultant. Contractor and materials is the other $10,000

I don't know if that was "Tongue-in-cheek"........

Materials budget for my build has been spec-ed at approximate $9000 for three layers of rock.......that is just sound proofing materials, not rock, HVAC, or labor.

With labor typically estimated the same as materials..........$20,000 seems to be in ballpark.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,577 Posts
If you told us more about the project we could give you a reality check.

As for the Dream house I've seen previous versions and have a feeling for the size of homes they build and from that I imagine a moderate sized media room. $20,000 seems like triple what I would have thought for soundproofing materials. You need to keep in mind that many contractors will use expensive materials like mass loaded vinyl in walls that performs no better than adding another layer of drywall. Around here we are all for the value approach.

I'm currently working for Damelon (Bacon Race Theater) and his total tab for Isolation clips, Channel, Green Glue and caulk and Insulation for the walls and ceiling was around $2000. Details are in his thread. His space is around 380 sq ft for theater and equipment room

·
Registered
5,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20826231

If you told us more about the project we could give you a reality check.

As for the Dream house I've seen previous versions and have a feeling for the size of homes they build and from that I imagine a moderate sized media room. $20,000 seems like triple what I would have thought for soundproofing materials. You need to keep in mind that many contractors will use expensive materials like mass loaded vinyl in walls that performs no better than adding another layer of drywall. Around here we are all for the value approach.

I'm currently working for Damelon (Bacon Race Theater) and his total tab for Isolation clips, Channel, Green Glue and caulk and Insulation for the walls and ceiling was around $2000. Details are in his thread. His space is around 380 sq ft for theater and equipment room

I'm all ears............

This is what was spec-ed.......going off the top of my head:

Room 26' X 18' X 11/10'........

3 layers rock............staggered layout, 16" on center

Materials:

8 5 Gallon buckets of Green Glue.........actually this is too low : $1600

470 Whisperclips +DC4 Clips: $2000

25 gauge hat channel: $700

3 cases of acoustic sealent and tools: $300

3/8" Recycled rubber underlayment tape: $1200

Backer boxes: $300

Putty Pads: $100

Neoprene stripping for shims: $100

36"X 80" Custom Knotty Alder sound proofed door with jams: $3000

These are preliminary numbers agree upon with GC.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20826771

I can't relate to a $3000 door.

We used a 1/3 that number of clips on the Bacon and only two layers. IMHO They are ripping you off on the hat channel.

Three layers of rock require more clips......and channel...... the staggered clip layout which supposedly helps with low frequencies uses 10-15% more clips. I want to enjoy movies, not have gypsum falling on my head. I'll check into the hat channel number though.......

As far as a $3000 door............blame that one on the wife! She wants all interior doors to match........and since the dedicated theater space comes off the living room and dining room, the door had to be custom made. I've been told the door with jams will weigh more than 400 pounds!!!

BTW, noticed I mention the door was knotty pine..........oops, knotty alder.

Too funny on the log rolling comment Advertguy2!!!

To clear things up, I'm not Vern Troyer........ 80" high, 36" wide door.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by advertguy2 /forum/post/20827619

^^^ I assume the 36" is the width and 80" is the height unless they plan on log rolling into the theatre...

HAHA! This one caught me off guard and I just burst out laughing in my chair.
I can just see them stop, drop, and rolling in and out of the HT with a popcorn and a soda. Well played advertguy!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
doublewing...unless I miscounted, you only need about 140 clips for a room that's 26' x18' to support 3 layers of 5/8" drywall. The only diff I see is that you decrease your channel to channel spacing from 24" to 16", but the clip spacing along the length of the channel stays at 48".

I have to think your ceiling will be up there for quite some time!

·
Registered
5,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto /forum/post/20828602

doublewing...unless I miscounted, you only need about 140 clips for a room that's 26' x18' to support 3 layers of 5/8" drywall. The only diff I see is that you decrease your channel to channel spacing from 24" to 16", but the clip spacing along the length of the channel stays at 48".

I have to think your ceiling will be up there for quite some time!

I'll check with the GC and see the numbers again. Getting conflicting numbers for clips ie. 470 compared to 140 indicates a snafu........somewhere the actual number has to fall in between ie. three layers would indicate the use of more clips.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 /forum/post/20828856

I'll check with the GC and see the numbers again. Getting conflicting numbers for clips ie. 470 compared to 140 indicates a snafu........somewhere the actual number has to fall in between ie. three layers would indicate the use of more clips.

Following is data I had for RSIC-V and I don't believe that Whisperclips would be any different. One downside to using TOO many clips is that it reduces the flexing needed (overcoupled) for the drywall to damp properly. Hoping I explained that right

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.