AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been a while since my last build, dual sealed opposed boxes with four 15" GTI drivers. After about five years of enjoying them, I sold them and decided to try something new. In the last couple of years I've noticed a shift more towards pro drivers, a lot more people are using them. The options are plenty now with Lavoce, B & C and now Eminence. I had plenty of options, four 15" or 18" pro drivers in dual opposed configuration or the two 21". After getting some feedback from members here, including Ricci who has tested them, I decided to get the NSW's. It was between the Ipal21 and NSW. I got a good discount and that was the main reason I chose Eminence. Its performance is very similar to the Ipal21 and costs a lot less.

My intention was to use my current 15" dual opposed sealed boxes. I realize that this drivers perform best in ported boxes or Devastators but due to my limitations in size, sealed is what I chose. I have not seen this drivers in sealed boxes, so perhaps I'm the first one, let's find out how they perform. The boxes took quite a bit of modifications to make them work for the NSW's. I closed the back of the boxes by putting a panel there. I cut out and added another panel to the front of the boxes. The front of the boxes is triple baffle so plenty of support for the drivers. Also, I added extra bracing to make the boxes even stronger. To better match the color of the furniture, I decided to change the color of the back and front of the boxes and are now two tone in color. The internal space of the boxes are about 4.7cf internal so a little more than what Ricci tested the NSW's drivers in. As for power, I'll be using Speakerpower HT-4000 plate amp to power both drivers. The NSW's SVC are 6ohm drivers and they are wired in parallel for a final load of 3ohm to the amp.

My room is rather large, 24' L x 15' W or about 4,000cf, open to other areas of the house. The floors and walls are concrete. The subs are symmetrical placed up front. I seat about 10' away from the subs. I have both audessey and antimode for EQ. Most likely, I'll be using the antimode cinema since I only want to EQ the subs not the speakers which are Sierra EX L/R and Horizontal Center. Movie watching and music is 50/50. I due value the mid bass more than the low bass and that's one of the main reasons I went with pro drivers. With room gain, I do get decent low bass response to the mid teens. I hope to be testing the subs in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Looking forward to measurements!

I have a 21" LaVoce in a sealed box currently, but it's really more for testing purposes prior to doing some passive radiator shenanigans. The shallow sealed rolloff makes for surprisingly deep bass, all else considered.

Chris

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For measurements, I have the most basic equipment! A digital Radio Shack SPL meter with the correction chart and a test tones CD. I'll post it and at least it gives me a basic measurement!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about a PR set-up for my dual subs, tuned to around 15-16hz. The box is probably going to be quite a bit bigger than what I have now so I don't know if that would work for me. Probably very interesting, great mid bass and plenty of low bass. Perhaps someone can model one in a PR. Anyways, for now, let's see how they do sealed.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Interested to hear your impressions.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
@tarponater was testing some lavoce 21's in sealed enclosures.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Did he start a build thread?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Did he start a build thread?
no he was just goofing around..he gets bored easily...he already had some cabs so he modded them...basically said had alot of midbass and chest slam but didnt really get too low.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
no he was just goofing around..he gets bored easily...he already had some cabs so he modded them...basically said had alot of midbass and chest slam but didnt really get too low.
Would you happen to know what size cab he used and how much power was on tap?

·
Registered
19,276 Posts
He is used to 24s which have more low end than all drivers tested so far. The Lavoce has the same low end as the UM18, however what happens is that the midbass is more than a UM18 so it sounds thinner in comparsion to a UM18 as the response shape is different.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Do you believe the same is true with the NSW 21 in regards to low end perception? I've been toying with the idea of getting an NSW 21 or 2 Lavoce 21s

·
Registered
494 Posts
I put a LaVoce in my old VBSS cabinet. It was originally for the PA380, and ported. I just cut out the port material and sealed it. I can post the volume later, but there's a build thread on here somewhere if you want some more info on it. Lots of chest slam, but no low end. I've had UMs in just about every configuration and these don't equal a UM. The next day, I modded my old Juggernog cabinets and that's where they are now. Those cabinets were originally UM18 full marties tuned to 16Hz. These sound very good in those cabinets. I will be running REW Saturday. This was just some stuff I did last weekend to pass the time. Eventually they will go in some Devastator MBM cabinets. They are on one side of an NX6000 right now.

Reactions: chadsmith013

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
He is used to 24s which have more low end than all drivers tested so far. The Lavoce has the same low end as the UM18, however what happens is that the midbass is more than a UM18 so it sounds thinner in comparsion to a UM18 as the response shape is different.
yeah he definately wasnt comparing them to his 24s...he actually said at one point he had all of them going..and it sounded great...he said the lavoce really shined on concert music and rock music... they didnt get really low, but they still sounded good..and that was to be expected.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I can run some sweeps with them in the Juggernog cabinets (ported) and the sealed cabinet if anyone is interested in the results.

·
Registered
19,276 Posts
I put a LaVoce in my old VBSS cabinet. It was originally for the PA380, and ported. I just cut out the port material and sealed it. I can post the volume later, but there's a build thread on here somewhere if you want some more info on it. Lots of chest slam, but no low end. I've had UMs in just about every configuration and these don't equal a UM. The next day, I modded my old Juggernog cabinets and that's where they are now. Those cabinets were originally UM18 full marties tuned to 16Hz. These sound very good in those cabinets. I will be running REW Saturday. This was just some stuff I did last weekend to pass the time. Eventually they will go in some Devastator MBM cabinets. They are on one side of an NX6000 right now.
According to databass they have the same low end as the UM18. Having more midbass makes them sound like they have less than a UM down low. A UM18 would be much flatter in a room naturally where the 21 would look like a severe rolloff due to that midbass. However, one should be able to play 10hz as the same spl. Now Ricci tested them in 6 plus cubes.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
According to databass they have the same low end as the UM18. Having more midbass makes them sound like they have less than a UM down low. A UM18 would be much flatter in a room naturally where the 21 would look like a severe rolloff due to that midbass. However, one should be able to play 10hz as the same spl. Now Ricci tested them in 6 plus cubes.
in a ported cabinet they would have the same low end..i think he was saying in the sealed cab he had, they didnt compare to the low end of an UM in a ported enclosure... I had these lavoce and they destroyed my Dayton HO 18s in low end.

Reactions: Mike Butny

·
Registered
494 Posts
We all know the characteristics of sealed V ported cabinets. Yes, eventually a sealed cabinet will beat the ported cabinet somewhere between the port tune and 10Hz (ish). That's not what I mean by not better than the UM in low end. Let me rephrase that.

In my personal test, I used several songs that I always use. Songs that I know what sound like in MANY different cabinets, drivers and alignments. When LefLeppard has no real chest slam from the UM18 full marty, but the LaVoce feels like someone sitting on your chest, I say "the LaVoce sealed will best a UM full marty". When The low note in On My Level is missing in the sealed LaVoce but makes your nose tingle from the UM18 full marty, I say the UM full marty will best a sealed LaVoce. For me, although yes there is plenty of sub 15Hz content in music, the vast majority that I like is in the high teens to maybe high 20s. The LaVoce sealed, in the cabinet I used, just didn't have any authority in that range.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts