AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeking some plans & suggestions for a pair of Efficient book shelf speakers. Budget is about $1500. Id like a 2 way that i can use with my 4 20watt class a amplifiers i built. I'm a huge fan of ribbon tweeters or soft dome tweeters. Woofer can be a 6.5" or 7" nothing bigger.

Any help suggestions or thoughts ?

Any questions just ask :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
That is Jeff bagsby reference designed. Some say it's his best design, it's a little thin so a sub is recommended. It is also not very efficient because the small size of the woofer.
I would at other kits with the largest woofer and waveguide you can handle.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I'm seeking some plans & suggestions for a pair of Efficient book shelf speakers. Budget is about $1500. Id like a 2 way that i can use with my 4 20watt class a amplifiers i built. I'm a huge fan of ribbon tweeters or soft dome tweeters. Woofer can be a 6.5" or 7" nothing bigger.

Any help suggestions or thoughts ?

Any questions just ask :)
Are these speakers expected to run full range? Are they going on stands, or a shelf?

FYI there is no such thing as a small high sensitivity speaker with good bass response.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Is this going to be for mostly music, or movies? You said that you really like the sound of ribbons, so with your $1500 budget, I would go all out on a nice 2-way bookshelf utilizing a Raal 140-15d crossed to a Scan Speak or Seas unit. The SS Revelator is held in very high regard. or you could just order a pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2's. They have the same Raal tweeter and a really nice Seas unit below it. They would also fit within your budget.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Is this going to be for mostly music, or movies? You said that you really like the sound of ribbons, so with your $1500 budget, I would go all out on a nice 2-way bookshelf utilizing a Raal 140-15d crossed to a Scan Speak or Seas unit. The SS Revelator is held in very high regard. or you could just order a pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2's. They have the same Raal tweeter and a really nice Seas unit below it. They would also fit within your budget.
That speaker uses a different RAAL ribbon.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are these speakers expected to run full range? Are they going on stands, or a shelf?

FYI there is no such thing as a small high sensitivity speaker with good bass response.
Probably going to be on stands, will also be building a pair of horn subwoofers. There is a design on here that uses a 6.5" that i really like.

My Current speakers are Half Chillies using a 6.5" fostex & 2GSi tweeter. BUT they are tower type speakers.

Id like a pair of 2 way book shelfs now that are not power hungry and effeciant. I'm not worried about the bass in the book shelfs as ill build 2 horn subwoofers..

I don't listen to rap. Mostly girl voice music.. :)

Here is a picture of my Half Chilli's ( they are very heavy )

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 20 of 48 Posts