AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to build a custom entertainment center for my widescreen, speakers, and components. Are there any references I should read regarding material use, construction methods, etc.? Where can i purchase the fabric used to hide speakers but allow the sound to pass through?

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Building an entertainment center isn't terribly difficult, but to make it sturdy and stable, you should use sound woodworking joints and principles. A trip to the library and looking through past issues of fine woodworking, wood, popular woodworking, etc. could give you the basics you'll need to understand construction and joints. As for speaker fabric, I believe stores like partsexpress carry grill cloth in a number of different colors.

The biggest challenge if this is your first project is creating cabinet doors. Especially if you're doing something fancy with a raised panel or frame and panel doors. Also check you www.newyankee.com for Norm's videos and plans. You might find something that might match what you're looking for.

As for materials, birch plywood is always good, but a bit expensive compared to MDF and particleboard. MDF can be bit tough to work with due to the weight of a 4x8 sheet being over 70lbs, plus after you put it together, it's gonna weigh a ton. Plywood is stronger and lighter, but more expensive.

·
Registered
183 Posts
mjrichar,

do you have any woodworking skills, tools? I too am considering the same thing although i do not have any skills/tools at all. There is a particular entertainment center that I like ( www.creativeideas3.com - 400 series with the 55" tv bench and media storage) but is too expensive for me (one tower alone cost $1400...way out of budget). I already have the specs and may look into a local carpenter build it for me if it won't go above my budget of $1500 (...don't laugh)...

let me know what you come up with...

thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
mjrichar,

do you have any woodworking skills, tools? I too am considering the same thing although i do not have any skills/tools at all. There is a particular entertainment center that I like ( www.creativeideas3.com - 400 series with the 55" tv bench and media storage) but is too expensive for me (one tower alone cost $1400...way out of budget). I already have the specs and may look into a local carpenter build it for me if it won't go above my budget of $1500 (...don't laugh)...

let me know what you come up with...

thanks

·
Registered
763 Posts
I had a custom cabinet built for me and my 65" Toshiba (RPTV). I'll attach a picture for your viewing.

-T.Wells

·
Registered
763 Posts
And here is a picture of the back side. The RPTV is on the very edge of the picture. You can see, I left room behind the TV wall to have access to the rear of the set without moving anything.

T.Wells

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have basic wood working and finishing skills, and would like to become more skilled. I think this project would allow me to do this (Plus a reason to buy tools!)

T.Wells: Nice set-up!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I actually don't have a price because my future father in-law built the cabinet for me, well, he did the entire room for that matter. He is a contractor who builds and re-models homes so he is well equipped to do such a thing but I followed his progress throughout and it did't seem like a horrible project for a DIY'er. The kicker of for some of my DIY friends was that he built it so snug without being by the TV. He lives 2 hours away so he measured the opening and the TV and just built the entire thing, brought it down in three pieces and screwed it in. WOW. I am still missing the four doors that will cover the bottom portion of the cabinet (RPTV speaker level) but I'll wait patiently :)

As for the price, I obviously didn't get charged so I could not really say. Taking a wild guess, I would say he would have charge 2 grand or under for the entire thing (he is adding a pull out DVD storage case to be added now too!). I make that guess on the fact that I just saw a finished hutch for a dining room that he did in cherry wood and asked, how much for that piece. I'd feel weird about asking, "How much would have have charged someone for my custom cabinet" but if someone really needed to know I could probably muster it up if needed or if someone lived in Eastern PA and wanted to contact him about doing a custom cabinet, I could put you in touch if needed. I know this really does not answer your questions but I hope it helps some. Thanks again for the kind words!

-T.Wells

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,629 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bigmouth

how is that book?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status