AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing the framing of my basement HT and want to utilize the area underneath the stairs as my HT/Audio equipment storage area. Area will have a small door for access to the rear of all components and the equipment faces will all be user accesible from the main living area in the basement.

Can anyone provide suggeestions on how to build my own audio/video equipment shelves??? I am trying to find materials that are preferably black and will not warp. Wood is preferred so that I can cut/fab for myself, however I will consider metal materials. I would also like a small (flexible) light at the top that points down for dark room loading of CD's/DVD's etc. Where can I find the vertical boards with the venly spaced holes that allow the metal or plastic pins to be located at desired equipment heights?

I want to flush mount to wall with a nice trim molding on the outside. I am just looking for do-it-yourself solutions that will look nice and won't break the bank.

Thanks a lot, Brett

P.S. I will be posting pictures soon of the proscenium (elevated stage with nice radius on the front) and other framing related photos'

·
Registered
65 Posts
Brett, I eneded up making my own equipment rack and DVD storage shelves as well. I tried purchasing 3/4" black melamine (mdf) -- home depot only had white. I did find two lumber yards near you that would order it (can't remember the names - one was in Northville & the other on Ford Rd either in Canton or Plymouth -- maybe M.A.Mans?).

I seem to recall that the price was in the area of about $85 per 4x8 sheet. This was a little pricey so I went with Oak (about 1/2 the price) from home depot and stained the shelves a dark colour.

I made my units built into the walls, the equipment rack has access to the back from the workshop room.

Regards

Drew

·
Registered
366 Posts
A suggestion for lighting. Look into a Furman rack rider+. It is a surge supressor/ efi-rfi filter used in pro-audio. They are great. I swear by them and many who are into HT and work in the music business also do. Retail is something like $200...but they can be had for $120 or so. Make sure it is a + model. These models have 2 light modules that slide out of the face of the unit. They also have a digital voltage meter on the face. They are designed to be placed at the top of an equiptment rack. We run complete mini-studios and full racks from them. An added bonus, if you have multiple amps, you can leave them on and just turn the Furman off and on. It has 8 plugs in the back for gear. I trust my B&K/Acurus amps to it. I figure if we using them to protect multiple processors valued at $5,000-$20,000 each my HT gear is in good hands.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are awesome....Thanks a ton for the excellent photo's, links and suggestions for materials and trim options.

Stay tuned for my posts that will include photo's of all rough framing work plus my screen wall and proscenium (stage).

I really appreciate the help/tips from all. I will be posting a lot of digital photos as soon as framing and storage areas are complete.

Brett

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.