AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of purchasing a 58"x98" piece of Da-Lite HCCV screen material to attach to my own wood frame. I got a pretty good deal from [email protected] and think this might be the most economical and rewarding way to go.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, what kind of frame construction did you use and how did you attach the screen material to the frame so it was taught? What about masking options? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sean

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anybody have any suggestions or ideas? I'd really appreciate some input before I go through with it. Thanks.

·
Registered
617 Posts
sorry I don't have the link handy but there is at least one that's gone around here that links to a step by step method of making a frame. It was pretty good, it seemed. Do a search on this forum of 'diy frame' or 'diy screen' and see what you can find.

also search w/ an internet search like google or yahoo and use words like 'canvas framing' or 'art canvas stretching' or something like that.

usually when I do a half ass answer like this it makes the people who really know what they're talking about help more.... so maybe someone w/ better input will chime in.

good luck

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Being the amazing handyman that I am, I've considered just bringing the material to a wood working company and paying them a couple hundred bucks to come up with a frame. I wonder how that would come out?

Anyone tried this?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I saw a link different from the ones given above from someone else who used DUCT TAPE to attach the material to frame instead of staples. Because after awhile it saggs, and is hard to re-tension when its stapled. Then he put a wide (6" or so) black-painted frame around it, and it looked sharp. Probably found it with a search of diy hccv or some such.

One question, did you get material with a reenforced border, or does it have the screen material all the way to the edge? The border is a significant increase in cost, but may be worth it... Looks like Morpheus's is borderless, I wonder if dalite would take more care with bordered screen? And maybe better to use high quality shipping (air vs ground for example)?

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sorry that I don't know what is DUCT TAPE, and my Oxford dictionary doesn't have velcro neither. Please forgive my poor English.

I think it should be velcro because there seems to have hooks on one side and loops on the other. And when I stick the screen to the frame, I redo tensioning many times (to make sure the wrinkles are gone). Here are some pictures that I took again, please see for yourself.

http://ihome.ust.hk/~ccszeto/HT2/PICT2155.JPG

http://ihome.ust.hk/~ccszeto/HT2/PICT2156.JPG

http://ihome.ust.hk/~ccszeto/HT2/PICT2157.JPG

Morpheus

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yup, thats what i mean by Velcro, which is the name of the manufacturer that makes the stuff here.

GREAT IDEA, Thanks! That will make re-tensioning easy!

Your english is fine! Way better than my (insert any other language).

Quote:
Originally posted by MorpheusSzeto
Sorry that I don't know what is DUCT TAPE, and my Oxford dictionary doesn't have velcro neither. Please forgive my poor English.

..cut..

Morpheus

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.