AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to spend all that much, but I want to build some speakers for the garage that will be good enough to fill the neighborhood with some sound when I am out mowing the lawn or the neighbors are just hanging out....

I would like to get some decent bass, not mind blowing or anything, but decent, so I was thinking of using two 8" woofers, and put those in combination with of course tweeters and midranges.

Any ideas? Like I said, these will be for the garage, so they don't have to look great, so kevlar, ceramic, aluminum.... don't need to be on the menu for the drivers. The drivers will not be counter-sunk into the face-plates, just screwed in place.

Should I just go with a kit from Parts Express or something?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you looked at Wayne J.'s DIII's at http://speakerbuilder.net ? I have not heard them personally but I have read many good things about them.

For about $150 in parts I don't know if they fit your budget. Thier 37hz-20khz response and 89.5 db sensitivity should definately fill your garage with sound.

If you want a PE kit the BR-1's are great for $140. I have a pair of these and they are very nice.

For an ultra budget MTM check out Dan C.'s UBHT NSB's http://www.ipee.com/NSB/UBHT.html

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at the D3 project and the BR-1's, they use the same drivers, but the D3 uses two of the midbass/midrange drivers. The advantage of doing the BR-1 is that the cabinets are done already, so it will be a faster project. The disadvantage is response. The D3's say they will reach down to 37hz, while the BR-1's are only able to get to 43 hz.

Is that enough to get picky about, probably not. Would I rather make my own boxes that are a three-way design and have an 8" woofer, probably. I know that not all 3-way designs can go much below 37hz with only an 8" woofer, but it can be done.

I started looking at the Zalytron kits, but they have so little info on their web page and their web site is really slow to even load images of the speakers....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have my BR-1's hooked up with a 10" titanic MKII sub right now and actually prefer to listen to them with the sub turned off for music most of the time. So they have plenty of bass for me.

For me it takes a long time to build speakers from scrath so if I spent a good bit of money and alot of time building speakers... I want them out where people can see them! :) Thats why I suggested the br-1's, even though they are very nice looking.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,885 Posts
Here is a web site for you to noodle.

Their kits are capable of achieving outdoor rock concert volume. Just what your neighbors are waiting for.

The largest kit uses dual 18 inch JBL speakers for the bass.

At one time they listed NASA as a customer....something about using the speakers to simulate the sound and vibration of a rocket lifting off........................

http://www.goldsound.net/home.htm

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm... He never mentioned his budget other than saying "not all that much" but the cheapest kit at goldsound is $1800. They look like they have some seriously nice speaker kits though.

Keeping the perspective that garages can be pretty rough places. A design using low cost, high bang for the buck drivers is what i was thinking.

Well I have one more suggestion since Scott mentioned using 8" drivers : The D8 MTM I know the're not 3-ways but I think they could rock the block fairly well, as the reports of these are very good.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks rusalka, I will keep those in mind, although, they may be too large. I may end up with something similar, but with only one of the 8" woofers, to make it smaller.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I'm guessing you havn't considered pro stuff. I used a Peavy keyboard stage monitor for several years and made my own connectors for the equipment (it's in the garage so a cd player and tuner is likey to be all you need). It had it's own amp and all of the controls were on the front face of the unit. Since you are outside working in the yard stereo isn't an issue, volume and punch is. Another thing not to worry about is the utilitarian appearance, after all it's for the garage. Take a trip to your local music shop (band equipment) and take a look at the various keyboard monitors (as a rule they have a wider range than guitar amps & monitors).

I had several people come from the park on next block looking for the band. It was just me working in the yard or the guys hanging out tweaking a car, (fixing brakes and such) and drinking a cool one. I had friendly neighbors too by-the-way (probably because I took requests).:D No Lawrence Welk please! And we don't play disco. :D :D :D

Nothing like Flim & the BB's reverberating off the neighbors garage door and drinking a brew with your friends on a warm summer evening.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
A well equiped pro shop will also have drivers to choose from. These typically have a different sound than those intended for home use but you are using these outdoors so a concert sound might be more of what you want. Some of the home products lack the power you typically need for outdoor use.

The monitor I used was a large one. Most good keyboard monitors are but smaller units are available. Mine stood about 36 inches high and weighed somewhere around 40 or 50 lbs.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dan, I had figured on using regular home type speakers. I don't think I need the ear shattering volume levels that pro speakers and monitors can put out, since I don't want to piss off any neighbors, just allow myself and maybe a few neighbors enjoy my music. I don't want to crank it so that the neighbors three streets over can hear it. We don't have huge amounts of space in between our homes, so I don't want to push it.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,885 Posts
Just got my Monthly flier from PE. They have some liquidation speakers.

There is a page of car speakers. These work good in garage environments and simple infinite baffles (a piece of wood).

First there is 6x9 subwoofer for $4 and change its 2 ohms so put 4 in series per channel. that will give you 200 watts x 2 for a total of $35.

Now there is a 6x9 full range for $2 and change. Also 2 ohms I'd use about 16 per side. That will give you 400 watts x2.

Now take 2 4x8 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood and start cutting holes.

I figure this whole thing will run about $150.

Hinge on one end to the ceiling of the garage and use a pulley and rope on the other.

Now Pull the car out. lower those suckers into place and put on some zz top and cut the grass. When your done, swing back up out of the way.

If you put the speakers on a timer for twice a day you won't need to cut the grass it will just wilt.

Ok, back to reality I bet 1 sub and 2 full ranges per channel or $10 a channel will do just fine. Again car speakers are a good choice for a

Garage and the cheaper the better. In my experience you'd be surprised with the sound you get out of a large array of "cheap speakers"

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BIGmouth, that, well, part of that isn't a bad idea! I will watch for the flyer and see what I think! Or, on lunch, I will peruse their site and view their sale brochure through their site.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,885 Posts
Thinking about your project reminded me of a TV appearance that Bruce Willis made on one of those talk shows shortly after making it. He had a problem with his new neighbors complaining about how loud he played his music after he bought his first expensive house.

He had started a backyard pool area renovation project and a neighbor asked if he was building a pool house.. his response was no...I'm building some new speakers.

So think big, let your neighbors think your adding another two stalls to that garage.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SVonhof
Dan, I had figured on using regular home type speakers. I don't think I need the ear shattering volume levels that pro speakers and monitors can put out, since I don't want to piss off any neighbors, just allow myself and maybe a few neighbors enjoy my music. I don't want to crank it so that the neighbors three streets over can hear it. We don't have huge amounts of space in between our homes, so I don't want to push it.
NP, was just offering a suggestion that wouldn't thin the wallet too much and offer lot's of benefits for outdoors. You're right about pissing off neighbors when things get too loud but that happens sometimes regardless of volume. I enjoyed my Peavy because it was so versatile and at a moments notice it was ready for the stage. Just for fun you might want to check out some of the drivers available at the pro shop. Most of them tend to be more tolerant of unsealed (or open) speaker boxes because of the design and materials used. They tend to be much more tolerant of improperly sized enclosures also (fewer porting problems).

Good Luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.