AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace my front three speakers.

I currently have three Paradigm LCR-450's. MTM small sealed box. They are over 10 years old. My surrounds/rear are Definitive UIW Reference RCS II in ceiling speakers.

They are a very interesting passive radiator design. They sound great, not what you would expect from an in ceiling speaker.

http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...UIW%20RCS%20II

I'd like to go to full size mains and a "standard" center. I'd like to cross them over in the 60-70hz range.

My room is small 1700 cubic feet and I can not get the speakers very far from the walls. My sub is a Danley DTS-10, I am considering adding a second soon.

If I was thinking of buying speakers today I would look at Salk Song Towers and a Song center. That is in the $2700 range.

With the right design I would spend $2,000 on components.

I am a professional cabinetmaker so the cabinets are no problem and complexity of the woodworking is no problem.

I have looked at kits and different builds and they tend to be radical or budget. I want neither. I want great sound, a fun build and a proven design.

A little help?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
If you have the Dynamics with the DTS-10, I would recommend you match those dynamics with horn or waveguide mains. Its the only way to match the dynamics of the DTS-10.

Are you interested in that type of build?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18202694

If you have the Dynamics with the DTS-10, I would recommend you match those dynamics with horn or waveguide mains. Its the only way to match the dynamics of the DTS-10.

Are you interested in that type of build?

The speakers have to be aesthetically pleasing. I can not visualize what those designs looks like but I am not opposed to it.

Here is the front of the theater, so can see my space is limited.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
You saw my build thread, correct?

Those are the same has Augerpro's

You can make them as nice as you want. Even put a grill on them. The only thing about them is that they are 16" wide so they are a little wider then todays speakers.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
With that room I think something these would look awesome

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/18202704

I would look at either augerpro's No Quarter design (with that budget you could do the full active version - a passive XO isn't available yet) or the Statements. With two DTS-10's the No Quarters will be closer to "keeping up" than the statements though.

Thanks I will have to do some reading. Have they made a center for the Statement / Mini statement yet?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18203060

You saw my build thread, correct?

Those are the same has Augerpro's

You can make them as nice as you want. Even put a grill on them. The only thing about them is that they are 16" wide so they are a little wider then todays speakers.

I did look at it briefly. I will have to dig in when I have more time to read.

Is there a center?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't seem to dig up the site for the Statement center, where can I find it?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yes, there is a matching center for the Statements/Mini Statements.

I am running one myself.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Its listed on htguide and on curts site.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightbrained /forum/post/18203335

Its listed on htguide and on curts site.

I am sorry I am new here (DIY) Can you link me to thoses sites?

·
Registered
9,368 Posts

·
Registered
20,245 Posts
Don't build a center, just build the exact speaker as a center and use a short speaker stand with the speaker tilted up at your ears. It will work much better. I think Penn's speakers or the geddes he link will be best for your situation(I think they were Geddes).

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well, everybody has opinions and different tastes. I really like the look of your ht. It is not sound system over bearing as so many are. When you go into a commercial theater you almost never even see the speakers. Looking at your setup, the best thing you can do IMO is to get rid of the speaker stands and wall mount all of your speakers and most of all put the speakers wires in the wall. Only replace your speakers if you are not happy with the sound quality.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 /forum/post/18203604

Well, everybody has opinions and different tastes. I really like the look of your ht. It is not sound system over bearing as so many are. When you go into a commercial theater you almost never even see the speakers. Looking at your setup, the best thing you can do IMO is to get rid of the speaker stands and wall mount all of your speakers and most of all put the speakers wires in the wall. Only replace your speakers if you are not happy with the sound quality.

Well that does not sound like much fun. I was thinking about the "mini" statements. There is nothing Mini about them!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/18204111

Well that does not sound like much fun. I was thinking about the "mini" statements. There is nothing Mini about them!

Say, I was just cruising the Classifieds here and see user NateTTU has a full 5.0 set of statements for sale at a reasonable price (and is willing to ship them). I'm not certain but based on the pictures the Mini-Statements (that he used as surrounds) are already finished which would be a bonus - the pictures of the Statements (full sized, used as L&R) and Statement center were raw MDF. It might be worth looking into as the prices looked to be pretty close to the price of the components to build them yourself...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/18204185

Say, I was just cruising the Classifieds here and see user NateTTU has a full 5.0 set of statements for sale at a reasonable price (and is willing to ship them). I'm not certain but based on the pictures the Mini-Statements (that he used as surrounds) are already finished which would be a bonus - the pictures of the Statements (full sized, used as L&R) and Statement center were raw MDF. It might be worth looking into as the prices looked to be pretty close to the price of the components to build them yourself...

Thanks for the tip but I really think I want to build something.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf /forum/post/18204111

I built an LCR set of sealed Statements and they are by far the best speaker I have owned. Having said that, it is recommended that you have at least 1.5' of clearance to the wall and that might be a problem in your space. I think Jim or Curt said that one might be able to push the limit to 1'.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts