Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beyma 8"

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we can accomidate up coax drivers between 8-10" and up to $200 per unit which should leave us enough for a woofer(s) and XO components. Here's the list of candidates to choose from. Hopefully i haven't left out any viable contenders. As most of you know, Tom Danley has offered his services for XO design as long as we send him two finished units, enclosures and all. I'm not sure if we should design the woofer to coax part of the XO in advance se we are the ones setting the performance goals of the system. Those voting remember this is a three way design so we don't need the Coax midwoofer to extend low...maybe 300-400hz. I'm not including any performance Data but i trust the voters will take the time to research them on their own or look throught the Coax or seperates thread for data.

Here's the List

Eminence Beta-8CX 8" Coaxial Driver w/o CD

Eminence Beta-10CX 10" Coaxial Driver w/o CD

B&C 8CX21 8" Coaxial driver with CD driver

18Sound 8CX400F 8" coaxial driver

P-Audio BM-8CXA 8" coaxial with CD driver

P-Audio BM-10CXA 10" coaxial with CD driver

Beyma 8BX 8" coaxial with CD driver

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Still think you should stretch the budget to include the $225 B&C 8CXT. Better to compromise on the bass driver than the midrange/treble driver. In my opinion FWIW

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
No BMS options? Also, though it is over budget (240/ea at US Speaker, perhaps cheaper elsewhere, or perhaps someone would be willing to cut a deal for the kit. PE sells Radian...) I think based on what Gordon Waters told me about it the Radian 5208C ought to be included. Especially if including that driver would tip some "Buy America" numbnuts over to the project.

Also, as I mentioned on the other thread. Danley's LAB Horn DIY project resulted in a bespoke driver. That may not be an option here but it is worth pursuing I think.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/16989915

Still think you should stretch the budget to include the $225 B&C 8CXT. Better to compromise on the bass driver than the midrange/treble driver. In my opinion FWIW

They're $229 each and given a pair and shipping the average cost is around $475.00 per pair. That leaves $275.00 for a pair of woofers and XO components. The only viable woofer candidate in this case would be the Silver Flute 8" pair. I'll add them if..do you know how to edit the poll...can't figure it out? I'd like to be left with at least a budget of $225-$250 for woofers. By comparison a B&C 6MD38 and SBAcoustics SB29 would have been $125.00

·
Premium Member
25,494 Posts
"Still think you should stretch the budget to include the $225 B&C 8CXT."

Agreed; it would go a fair ways for paying for itself by simplifying the XO, assuming the peaks would be fixed.

"They're $229 each and given a pair and shipping the average cost is around $475.00 per pair."

We may be able to get them cheaper through Earl, or just by doing a GB through whoever.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/16990364

Not sure how people feel about, but the 8CXT's CD has a titanium diaphragm; the cheaper 8CX21's is mylar, and the new 8CXN51's is polyimide, but it's cone has hellacious breakup.

I really wanted the 8CXT, but that was not one of the choices. But then I wanted that and a 2-way. With a 3-way I was between the 8CX21 and the 8CX400F. I decided to go with the B&C 8CXT. It crosses a little lower and has a smaller VAS. The 8CX400F uses a polyester diaphragm, so I don't think that is an improvement over the mylar.

·
Registered
944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/16990206

We may be able to get them cheaper through Earl, or just by doing a GB through whoever.

The cost calc is "List." Whatever is selected will likely be available at a discount in quantity....

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Nate FYI the results of this batch of drivers, including your 8CXT, will be published this weekend. Lots of cool compression drivers too, so it should be exciting.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
By comparison a B&C 6MD38 and SBAcoustics SB29 would have been $125.00

Lets go back to that, I own them already

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I do think the 18 Sound 6ND430 with a decent dome tweet and the 3012LF would be cool to. You could even do it in Dan's Bassline format. Maybe we just need this for a poll since it seems to represent the two camps:

1) 8CXT mated to two 8" Hifi woofers like the Peerless Nomex, Dayton RS225, or SilverFlute, in a slimmish baffle

2) 6ND430, SB29, 3012LF in a wider baffle

Sometimes you just gotta throw it out there ask if she wants to get naked ya know?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've done a bit of price searchg, and the ones i used for reference on the BC stuff was from Prosoundservice, the cheapest vendor i could find and an authorized dealer. The price of the Eminence units are pretty consistent at around $70

FWIW. The complaints about the CX21 are just what i expected, the mylar compression driver. That's what i eluded to in my HTIB comparison if anybody read it. The Eminence with the $70 price tag allows for a good quality CD, the Selenium 2500 which when combined with the Eminence is still cheaper than the B&C offering. The 18Sound unit is another promising choice with an average street price of around $179.00. Regardless, the CXT is too pricey as we won't be able to execute a 3way XO with the remaining budget. You guys asked for a Coax, now it's time to live with the tradeoffs.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/16990652

I do think the 18 Sound 6ND430 with a decent dome tweet and the 3012LF would be cool to. You could even do it in Dan's Bassline format. Maybe we just need this for a poll since it seems to represent the two camps:

1) 8CXT mated to two 8" Hifi woofers like the Peerless Nomex, Dayton RS225, or SilverFlute, in a slimmish baffle

2) 6ND430, SB29, 3012LF in a wider baffle

Sometimes you just gotta throw it out there ask if she wants to get naked ya know?

I like a sealed pair of Nomex 8's with the Eminence Coax in an MTM configuration. Not much lobing from the woofer to woofer spacing at 400hz and good vertical dispersion. Sorta a DIY JTR Triple8 which is pretty popular with the HT crowd these days. The 3way with seperates is a great option as well and probobly appeals to the more Hifi, critical listening crowd. I personally would be listening 50/50 HT and music but i can't say for the rest.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
You guys asked for a Coax, now it's time to live with the tradeoffs.

We asked for the 8CXT actually

The rational trade off should be a $900 package instead of a $750 package but that is just crazy talk.

Instead we will just screw the project into a pigeon hole by being stubborn on some parameters and loose with others.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/16990611

Nate FYI the results of this batch of drivers, including your 8CXT, will be published this weekend. Lots of cool compression drivers too, so it should be exciting.

Nice! I've been looking forward to the results of the compression drivers.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I don't think the drawback of the 8CX21 compression driver was simply that it was mylar versus the Ti of the 8CXT. After all the DE160 is mylar and an excellent driver. I certainly wouldn't select the Selenium because it was Ti too. The D220Ti is one of those drivers that is both measurably poor AND has numerous subjective complaints. Consider the D220Ti actually is smoother than the D2500 in Selenium's own plots, then go to my site and compare the D220Ti response with even the cheapest B&C and you'll see why I'm a bit skeptical of the D2500. The D220Ti is really pretty bad, and that's on a good horn match!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16990728

We asked for the 8CXT actually

The rational trade off should be a $900 package instead of a $750 package but that is just crazy talk.

Instead we will just screw the project into a pigeon hole by being stubborn on some parameters and loose with others.

I dunno about you, but there's a pretty significant recession going on, the second worst in U.S. history so another $150 may seem rational to you, but not to the guy trying to send his kids to college or catch up on 60 days behind on his mortgage.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.