AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok for those of you who haven't heard, Coax's are out...seperates are back in. I think MJG is gonna carry the torch of the Coax in either a 2way or 3way design....thanx buddy.


BOT. Some things to think about. We've talked about woofers and pretty much narrowed things down to either a pair of 8's or a single 10. This is somewhat relevant to the midrange as it applies to the overall baffle height. A single 5-6.5" mid will work either way, a pair of smaller mids will probobly lock us to a single woofer...no way around it unless we're looking at a 3ft + baffle which is hardly a stand mount. As far as mids go, there's a lot of 6.5" pro mids to choose from. We need clean response from 250-3khz and that shouldn't be a problem. Efficiency from 93db on up is needed. I'd estimate the cost range as up to $130. Anything more and we'll be making significant compromises elsewhere.


As for tweeters, i won't hide anything from the group. I like domes. Doesn't mean we have to use a dome, it just makes more sense from where i'm sitting. There's quite a few domes that have the needed efficiency and power handling at 3khz LR4 and even a few than can handle LR2. Feel free to submit whatever you like but please post some relevant data to go along with it. Ribbons also have the needed efficiency but as you all know they're pricey and delicate.....maybe not the best choice for a high power/high dynamic system. There's lots of affordable CD's as well. If someone can show us how to fit a horn lens on this baffle without pushing driver C to C spacing out of range, i'm all for it. There's an exponential horn from Eminence that could work with a dual midrange alignment but i have absolutely no idea how that would work. Zilch might as i think i've seen them in the background of some of his posted photo's. Maybe he'll chime in.


No polling yet, just submissions and discussions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/17011863


The B&C 6MD38-8 is going to be pretty hard to beat for $80. I don't think a 3khz crossover is ideal for a 6.5" driver though


The Tangband 75-1558SE ($86) seems like it could be ideal, if you accept an octave higher crossover on the low end.




Although very nice all around, not sensitive enough for our project.....unless in pairs, which wouldn't help the budget at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An interesting fairly recent change from Vifa, the DX25 has been updated as per Madisound. New SPL rating is 96.5 db!




With BSC, there aren't any 10" woofers that can keep up SPL wise. May have to give the Kapplight 12" another look!

Kappalight 12/ B&C 6md38/ Vifa DX25TG09 mounted........ Sounds like something people may want to build?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/17011790


There's lots of affordable CD's as well. If someone can show us how to fit a horn lens on this baffle without pushing driver C to C spacing out of range, i'm all for it.

Not sure if it fits your CtoC criterion, but FWIW Zaph recently recommended "18sound ND1060 on a XT120 horn" as a possibility for an MMTMM using his new midrange driver over here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpos...4&postcount=39 . The 18sound compression drivers seem to be pretty expensive - I'm sure there'd be a cheaper alternative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
Mid> 18 Sound 6ND430


Tweeter> Peerless 810921


Woofer> Eminence 3012HO/LF or maybe the 10" Deltalite
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/17012320


An interesting fairly recent change from Vifa, the DX25 has been updated as per Madisound. New SPL rating is 96.5 db!


Says 93.5dB/2,83V here which is 90.5dB/W
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/17013876


It is 4 ohm though.

So about 93dB/W. The specs also appear to have been measured in different ways, ie new version at Zmin, which will give the highest number, so I'm not sure there will be as much difference as first impressions give.


Thanks for the correct link.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/17014006


So about 93dB/W. The specs also appear to have been measured in different ways, ie new version at Zmin, which will give the highest number, so I'm not sure there will be as much difference as first impressions give.


Thanks for the correct link.

Creative marketing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Ok for those of you who haven't heard, Coax's are out...seperates are back in.

Wow, go away for 4 days and bad decisions happen, sounds like my IT guys when I go on vacations



I wonder what tip the scales back to the 3-way. Is there a thread on the details? Did Tom Danley inform everyone he wouldnt be involved?


Too bad! The only way this project will even matter is if there is a true industry NAME on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/17014006


So about 93dB/W. The specs also appear to have been measured in different ways, ie new version at Zmin, which will give the highest number, so I'm not sure there will be as much difference as first impressions give.


Thanks for the correct link.

Did we move away from the SB29 choice also? hmmm......seems like someone is pulling the strings
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/17014753


Did we move away from the SB29 choice also? hmmm......seems like someone is pulling the strings

If you're asking me, not really. As I stated earlier, my interest is for a design for a friend who can build but doesn't want to design. If I like what ends up here, I'll recommend it to him. WRT the Vifa tweet, I only commented on the sensitivity number which I agree is 'creative marketing'.


Personally I don't like domes, so am trying TD10M/XT1086, PAudio BM8CX and B&C 8CX21 to try, if the latter ever get here, for my own use, at least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/17014828


If you're asking me, not really. As I stated earlier, my interest is for a design for a friend who can build but doesn't want to design. If I like what ends up here, I'll recommend it to him. WRT the Vifa tweet, I only commented on the sensitivity number which I agree is 'creative marketing'.


Personally I don't like domes, so am trying TD10M/XT1086, PAudio BM8CX and B&C 8CX21 to try, if the latter ever get here, for my own use, at least.

Domes are fine for average SPL listening, they have specific characteristics. It just depends on the needs of each individual.


I hate domes in my HT Room because my needs are difference.


Have you seen the measurements on the QSC horn (its part of the HPR-152 designs) and its ONLY $7 (vs $90), it measures a little better then the XT1086, dont know if that is audbile though. See all the measurements Augrepro has done.


Its just a shame that the "Tom Danley" name won't be a part of this project, I do not know the details so maybe he could not be involved after all but if he still is offering his services then I can not think of any good logic why they went away with it nothing new though. The world doesnt have to be logical
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/17014849


Have you seen the measurements on the QSC horn (its part of the HPR-152 designs) and its ONLY $7 (vs $90), it measures a little better then the XT1086, dont know if that is audbile though. See all the measurements Augrepro has done.

Yes, and it looks good, but I can't get them here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/17014862


Yes, and it looks good, but I can't get them here.

You know that I just shipped some to Australia!!!


I did it last week for another member on here, It would have been easy to have added many more


Sorry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/17014871


You know that I just shipped some to Australia!!!


I did it last week for another member on here, It would have been easy to have added many more


Sorry

Damn, bad timing eh?


Anyway these are for the sides/rears, so I can compromise some and the XT's look more like the right size match aesthetically for the 10's. And the JBL 18 they'll be sitting on top of.
 
1 - 20 of 208 Posts
Top