AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For new construction with an open floor plan, I wanted to build a couple of these and tuck them in the walls. This is my first time trying to design a sub enclosure with WinISD, so all critiques are welcome. This is just for a living room and I'm not expecting earth-shattering bass (that's what the Devastators in the future home theater are for) but I'd like to get the most out of this relatively low-cost design.

There aren't a lot of low-profile subs to choose from; this design uses a Dayton Audio LS10-44. The enclosure resembles the Polk CSW155 but I don't know what its internals look like. I had to go with 1/2" MDF to get it to fit in a 2x4 wall, and I suspect the internal bracing may be lacking?

For the speaker/port grill I was thinking of something like this from Reliable Hardware.

Any thoughts on this design?

In-wall subwoofer1.png In-wall subwoofer2.png In-wall subwoofer cutlist.png

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd run a slightly larger port to drop your port velocity. Unless your stuck with 76" for some reason, you have plenty of height left in a wall to keep your net volume the same.

·
Registered
413 Posts
This could be another option - more cone area and more xmax, more price too. 12″ BM mkV

I have one in my car and it's very clean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks -- I missed this one in my search for low-profile subs. I'll plug it into WinISD and check it out.

If I do end up going with the Dayton, I'll take the advice above and enlarge the port a bit.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you look at the JL TW3 12 12TW3-D4

I just put one in a friend's truck and it sounds very nice.
This one's a hair too deep to fit into a 2x4 wall, and it looks like the Sound Integrity sub mentioned above has been discontinued.

This JL Audio 13.5" sub would work, but I want to build 3 of these, and at $680 each that's gonna hurt.

I'll stick with the Dayton 10" driver and enlarge the port slightly as suggested above. I updated the cut list in case anyone else wants to build one of these. I'll follow up with some impressions once I have these finished and installed.

In-wall subwoofer cutlist.png In-wall subwoofer1.png In-wall subwoofer2.png

1 - 6 of 6 Posts