AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here done an DIY inwall sub? I'm not talking IB subs... but specifically a sub that has its own enclosure and is in the wall.

I'm imagining something that is very thin and tall and fitting in between studs?

Details and pictures if possible please.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocoloco /forum/post/11411743

Has anyone here done an DIY inwall sub? I'm not talking IB subs... but specifically a sub that has its own enclosure and is in the wall.

I'm imagining something that is very thin and tall and fitting in between studs?

Details and pictures if possible please.

I think Morel sells low profile drivers intended for auto applications.You may look in that direction.

Other wise you are stuck using multiple smaller driver arrays.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'd like to do this too, something along the lines of what Polk produces with this model

Whats the best way to determine box design and driver selection? Anyone have suggestions on this? I think a pair of these made out of MDF with decent drivers would sound great and hide very well. I'm still in the framing stages so building this in would be cake.

·
Registered
736 Posts
speakercraft sells something similar too. both are more than I want to spend though, that's why I'm in the DIY forum

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
When you consider the average stud bay, if the box is built of 3/4" MDF, its internal volume is only about 1.35 cubic feet. With a 2x4 wall, you are then limited to a driver depth that won't exceed about 3". Subs meant for auto use may work, but it would be better to join several stud bays to increase the internal volume, and build a small box at the base of this to house the driver. If it's a non-load bearing wall, you could build a box that takes up two or three stud bays, and then attach the drywall to this, giving you something near what you are considering. Most of the manufactured "inwall" subs are somewhat pricey, and use larger remote amplification to get what they want. Keep us informed of how you proceed.

·
Registered
736 Posts
My stud wall will have a depth closer to 6+ inches, I should measure to be sure. This should allow me more driver selection. Amplification would be remote as that is the easiest route.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Also, you could frame a double wall to a depth that you may want for a standard subwoofer driver, and then have the increased internal volume of box. You don't need to frame with large members, just space two 2x4 walls apart. Of course, you're going to lose some floor space in that scenario. A 2x6 is 5-1/2" deep. Subtract the box material, and you're still only going to have about 4" of internal depth for the driver. You really should shoot for at least 8".

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Think about my other suggestion, and have a small box projecting on the face of the wall to house the driver, and let the large MDF box be the wall. You'll get what you want, and not use up the floor space.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Why not make a thick wall? Instead of conventional 2x4 or 2x6 studs, use 2x10 or 2x12. Go 2' on center and have approx a 10" x 21" x 90" (11 cubic feet) box for your sub. I dont know your exact application, but if the wall is not that long, the price difference between 2x6's and 2x12's wouldnt be to bad.....maybe $100 or so for a semi-short wall.

·
Registered
736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef /forum/post/12426158

Think about my other suggestion, and have a small box projecting on the face of the wall to house the driver, and let the large MDF box be the wall. You'll get what you want, and not use up the floor space.

this is what I was thinking from the beginning, maybe I didnt describe it well but I was thinking just like the speakercraft sub I showed.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
But that Speakercraft unit sits flush to the drywall with its proprietary driver. I suggested having a box project from the wall to increase the driver depth while still using a 2x4 or 2x6 construction technique. If mounted low toward the baseboard, you'd achieve what you were looking for, and you'd just drywall around the projection.

·
Registered
358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arande2 /forum/post/12431675

I was looking at those Audiopulse drivers earlier. Hmm.

I thought this looked pretty interesting as a shallow woofer.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...2aea784b48c724

35 Hz Fs is a bit high for a sub. 3.5 mm of xmax is quite low, in line with midwoofers. And the 84 dB sensitivity all add up to not you're ideal subwoofer driver.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts