AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this is the best section to post this is, if not, could someone suggest a better one?

OK, so I'm making some speaker stands out of maple for my Dad's Mackie HR824's I inherited. They will consist of a top piece, a bottom piece and columns that are 5" wide by 7" deep by 32" tall and 3/4" thick. The column will be pieces mitered and glued together to form a rectangular column. It will be glued and screwed to the top and bottom pieces, making a complete seal. So I am looking for advice on what I should fill the columns with, if anything. I've searched here and elsewhere, but everything I could find was about filling PVC or Metal pipe columns. Does the fact that they are maple change anything? I just don't know how much of an issue resonance would be with these, especially since maple is often used in the audiophile world for racks and such, where they don't want any resonance. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Oliver

PS Here is an image of the what the stand will look like, if it helps -

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,137 Posts
I have some sand filed MDF stands. Works great but they are impossible to move. Looking at the picture you might think about filling up the bottom half of the stands with sand inside a garbage bag. Then stuff the top half with the cheapest fiberglass or Roxul insulation you can find.

Filling the bottom half will lower the overall center of gravity and make them more stable. It will also dampen vibrations. Stuffing the top half will minimize resonances.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19554065

Filling the bottom half will lower the overall center of gravity and make them more stable. It will also dampen vibrations. Stuffing the top half will minimize resonances.

With that speaker and stand combination resonances should be a non-issue. I'd go with the bagged sand, using sandwich bags, tossing in enough to lower the center of gravity to prevent easily tipping them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Out of curiosity, would steel shot be any better than sand (from a moisture point of view)? I mean will the sandwich bags let any of the sands moisture out, or is that pretty safe?

Oliver

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelwerx /forum/post/19556182

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Out of curiosity, would steel shot be any better than sand (from a moisture point of view)? I mean will the sandwich bags let any of the sands moisture out, or is that pretty safe?

Oliver

Sand should be dry. Bake it first if you are worried.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelwerx /forum/post/19556182

Oliver

The main reason for the bags is so small creatures won't find their way into the sand to take up residence, and to prevent any that might be there already from migrating to your living room. Steel or lead shot is OK, but more expensive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe overkill, but with my stands I used a bag of lead shot, then filled the rest up with sand, I did have to bake out the moisture because it was quite damp.

I used the lead first to keep the center of gravity low.

Regards

Knights

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,137 Posts
Buy sand sold in paper bags and stored inside at your local big box. It is usually dry and needs to be kept dry because of the paper bag. They will leave the sand sold in plastic bags outside.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again. I think I will follow the main consensus and get sand, bake it if necessary, put it in baggies and fill the column halfway, and fill the other half with insulation. Can't wait to get these finished, this project has been in the works for 8 months or so. I just got the top and bottom pieces finished, got my spikes, and am just waiting to be able to afford the wood for the columns. I also just got the Mackie's about a month ago and they are currently resting on some hollow plastic columns I think my dad bought at a garden center. I am sure they are adding some resonance.

Oliver

1 - 10 of 10 Posts