AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many of the posts here on DIY mounts and looked at all the pictures and plans available. However, none of them seem to meet my specific needs.

I have a Sony VPL-PX21 projector (1024x768) that I purchased for my business a couple years ago. After a lot of research on RPTVs and PJs to finally get HDTV at home, I realized that I already had it on my "work" projector!

I want to be able to remove it from a ceiling mount quickly and easily and then re-mount it without a lot of setup or recalibration. I use it for work about 2-3 times per month for sales presentations etc. but would like it in my HT the rest of the time.

The projector weighs 15lb 14oz and measures 13 3/8 x 5 5/8 x 13 1/4.

Does anyone have a DIY mount that allows for quick removal? If so, can you provide me with details, pictures, plans, etc? If not, why not post your best ideas.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a note on the room. I cannot wall mount it because I have a glass block window where it would be wall mounted in my basement. My HT area has some major room restrictions, so ceiling mount is my best choice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello!

I have a very similar situation to yours..and have tried a couple different "home-made" mounts to deal with it.

My problem was two-fold:

1. I needed to be able to remove the projector from the ceiling mount regularly (my friends and I often get together to play Halo on multiple xboxes and projectors).

2. I knew I'd be playing around with screen throws, sizes..etc. and needed a solution that would let me do that...something not so "fixed".

My solution was to use a "track" normally used for track lighting, and a DIY mount. The mount is basically the base of a portable vise found at Lowe's. I removed the "vise" portion and use the base attached to a board that I have screwed into the base of the projector. This allows me to do a couple things. I can unscrew the ring, and quickly detach the projector from the mount. I can also adjust pitch, roll and yaw quickly and easily by adjusting the projector until it's perfectly centered in the screen..and tightening the ring. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello!

I have a very similar situation to yours..and have tried a couple different "home-made" mounts to deal with it.

My problem was two-fold:

1. I needed to be able to remove the projector from the ceiling mount regularly (my friends and I often get together to play Halo on multiple xboxes and projectors).

2. I knew I'd be playing around with screen throws, sizes..etc. and needed a solution that would let me do that...something not so "fixed".

My solution was to use a "track" normally used for track lighting, and a DIY mount. The mount is basically the base of a portable vise found at Lowe's. I removed the "vise" portion and use the base attached to a board that I have screwed into the base of the projector. This allows me to do a couple things. I can unscrew the ring, and quickly detach the projector from the mount. I can also adjust pitch, roll and yaw quickly and easily by adjusting the projector until it's perfectly centered in the screen..and tightening the ring. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The rod is part of the vise.

The brand I happened to use was "Dremel"...from the same folks who make the handy little rotary tool. I do believe, however, that there were a couple other brands that looked and worked identically that were a little less expensive. My "vise" was about 30 bucks...I think the cheaper versions were 20 or less. The only difference I see between brands is the vise itself, which doesn't matter here.

The following make up the mount.

1. lighting "track" from lowes (2 foot section)

2. a piece of aluminum flat stock (also from lowes) that fit's pretty well inside the track...I doubled this up for thickness and to get it to not "rock" in the track. I drilled a hole in the middle of these that a bolt/screw goes through and into the rod of the vise.

3. The vice bottom...including the rod which is attached to a ball joint that fits inside the ring used to tighten the vise.

4. The wooden base which the vise bottom is attached to. You could use plexiglass here or whatever you like. I used 1/2 inch plywood, painted flat black.

5. Projector.

Hope that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.