AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a DIY ceiling mount for my Sanyo Z1. I was thinking of buying a vaulted ceiling fan mount and 3' foot ceiling fan extension tube to make somthing myself. Any ideas on how good it is to go with the ceiling fan accesories that they sell at Lowes or Home Depot?

The little swivel dome that would go on the ceiling is only about $9 and the 3' tube with threads on each end is only $12. Any ideas or other DIY plans out there for the Z1?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you look at eBay, they have one for cheap.

Search for PLV-Z1

It is not as cheap as the DIY, but it has roll, pitch, and yaw adjustments. It uses standard 1.5" diameter pipe with standard pipe threads.

30 day money back guarantee to boot!

G'Luck!

John

From the seller on eBay, he states "Our mounts have 360 degree yaw, approx. 60 degrees pitch and roll adjustments."

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Any ideas or other DIY plans out there for the Z1?

You can see some realisations on my website :

http://frankhc.free.fr and after click on SUPPORTS.

good search.

Franck C.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't find the link "SUPPORTS" and the site is in French, which I don't read. Basically I'm trying to see if anybody has made a mount by using ceiling fan parts.

·
Registered
904 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly what I was looking for, THANKS!! :D

I would appreciate the parts list, if you have a chance, I might stay up late working on this tonight.

Is the pipe from the plumbing dept? Maybe I can use a 3/4" ceiling fan extension, it's allready painted and available with threads on both sides.

·
Registered
351 Posts
JP,

If you looking for a bigger diameter pipe, thin wall electrical metal conduit is another good option. They are a lot lighter than plumbing pipes and available at HD. I used a 2" diameter conduit so I could pass all cables and connectors through it. Just another option.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by miketc
JP,

If you looking for a bigger diameter pipe, thin wall electrical metal conduit is another good option. They are a lot lighter than plumbing pipes and available at HD. I used a 2" diameter conduit so I could pass all cables and connectors through it. Just another option.
I agree with this, I think that 1/2" conduit wont be good enough. I used a 1.5" plumbing pipe.

I just painted my mount and will be taking some pics soon. Here is a pic of the "unfinished" version:

http://68.11.249.214:333/docs/postedpics/pjmount1.jpg

Last night I painted it black and chopped the extra MDF off the right side at the top. Once my cabling is ready to be run through the ceiling ill be running those cables up the pipe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please excuse my "hardware" ignorance, but how do you get the pipe ot tubing you want threaded? At the hardware store? I know some are allready threaded, but I've seen some that I like that are not.

·
Registered
351 Posts
HD will thread plumbing pipes for free if you buy the pipes from them. The electrical conduit I'm talking about cannot be treaded due to its thin walls but screw-on compression connectors with treaded ends are available and easy to put on. I need to take some pictures to show you.

BTW, You can easily spray painted the electrical conduits to match your decor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.