AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just an idea I'm toying around, but I was wondering how hard it would be to make a quality DIY tube amp. I have 0 experience in this so I'm guessing it's a no go. On the other side I could look for someone to build the more complex electrical parts, and do the rest (woodworking and acquiring parts) of the amp myself. Are there people and/or builds of people who have done this before? I could also build like 5 (or 7) monoblocks of course.

I have been recommended 3A4 tubes so I'm guessing using those would be a good way to base on. Would need only 1-2 watts/channel. Not sure if I need 5 or 7 at the moment.
Budget (to make it worthwhile) would have to be around 1000-1200 euro if possible.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Just an idea I'm toying around, but I was wondering how hard it would be to make a quality DIY tube amp. I have 0 experience in this so I'm guessing it's a no go. On the other side I could look for someone to build the more complex electrical parts, and do the rest (woodworking and acquiring parts) of the amp myself. Are there people and/or builds of people who have done this before? I could also build like 5 (or 7) monoblocks of course.

Budget (to make it worthwhile) would have to be around 1000-1200 euro if possible.

Here is a step by step process of building a stereo tube amp not sure of the power output though. http://www.instructables.com/id/Building-A-Stereo-Tube-Amp/

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure if the PCboards from the DIYtube forum are still available but they have a driver board for a CCS-loaded 2-channel Williamson amplifier (think Dynakit ST-70) which could power your woofers and they have PCBs for SET monoblocks, two of which could each handle a squawker & tweeter from each channel. This implies a passive crossover network would remain in place for the squawker/tweeter drivers. Edcor has a set of transformers for an ST-70 style amp which would be suitable for the Williamson. For the SET blocks I would get custom OPTs from Electra-print.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if the PCboards from the DIYtube forum are still available but they have a driver board for a CCS-loaded 2-channel Williamson amplifier (think Dynakit ST-70) which could power your woofers and they have PCBs for SET monoblocks, two of which could each handle a squawker & tweeter from each channel. This implies a passive crossover network would remain in place for the squawker/tweeter drivers. Edcor has a set of transformers for an ST-70 style amp which would be suitable for the Williamson. For the SET blocks I would get custom OPTs from Electra-print.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have a look at that ;) Would only need tube amps for the highs. Will be probably use SS for the woofers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts