AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Been in the A/V industry for 10 years, but a newbie here. I'm used to regularly installing Crestron, Biamp, Extron and AMX type equipment for my clients, however I'd like to do things differently for myself (just bought a new house therefore budget being a big reason!)

I think that this has alot of potential, however I'm open to new ideas.

Here's what I've got planned out so far (drawings will be added shortly):

-PC being used as master matrix

-Running Winamp with multi-output plug-in

-Using 2x SoundBlaster 5.1 channel sound cards (running kX Project (google it) drivers allow you to run these in parallel and give you endless possibilities in DSP architecture and patchbay routing) This will allow me to output 6 channels. Line and AUX inputs will allow me to add external sources.

-Each output channel being run into miniature power amplifier (found some 2-channel amps on ebay for under 20$). From there, speaker cable will be run to every zone with a volume control decora wallplate.

-Web-based interface to control the master pc from remote laptop or ipod touch (current winamp playlist, source routing, output level and certain IR functions for controlling external sources (ie. satellite radio))

-Was thinking of adding some USB RS-232 cards for future additional control (HVAC, lighting, security ect...)

This whole project (so far) has a projected cost of around 400$

Any one ever made a web-based control interface?

I was thinking of going simpler with Airport Express, but seems too consumer-ish (sorry guys!) and is iTunes based.

So what do you think? Like I said this project is still in the draft process, but am planning to work on it as soon as I get into the new home (july 2010)...

Teknodio

·
Registered
263 Posts
homeseer has a webbased music addin or you can use the API to create your own front end.

you can use Jriver media center for zones also.....

I will be doing similar with multple USB sound cards for each zone..... maybe with impedance matching volume controls for local control..

I was thinking about a wall plate a/b switch for in room source like a notebook or ipod....

not sure though

I would look a CQC, homeseer and mcontrol.... also casatunes for ideas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

Those software solutions seem interesting, I'll definitely look into it... only thing is, will it be able to control PC based programs like Winamp and the kX software-based patchbay? Seems tricky... Perhaps building some kind of Visual Basic program (probably with much headaches involved) would cover my control interface problem... this type of approach is very new to me, far from hundred-thousand dollar systems I've installed in the past!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would take a look at http://www.linuxmce.com/ if you are looking for a free solution. It is the most widely used free home automation / control package I've seen.

The kx project looks interesting, thanks for sharing that. It looks like it is controllable via IR according to their documentation. But I think by the time you are done working with it, you could have worked a second job and earned enough to just use dedicated components. Why not just buy some squeezeboxes Receivers @150 bucks? They are the best bang for your buck, and can be controlled easily with anything (iphone, itouch, etc, etc, etc).

So your parts list would be:

a) dedicated av matrix switch (cheap shinybow) - controlled by rs232

b) dedicated PC running linuxMCE as the master controller - it speaks rs232, IP, infrared to the other devices.

c) wall controllers and iphone and browser - sends commands to the linuxMCE machine.

d) monoprice speakers in every room

e) cheap amplifiers from ebay, craigslist, etc - controlled by linuxMCE

f) squeezebox audio sources - controlled by linuxMCE

·
Registered
6,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknodio A/V /forum/post/18180733

I'm used to regularly installing Crestron, Biamp, Extron and AMX type equipment for my clients. Teknodio

Clearly, you haven't been installing it personally, but you've been involved in the process.

You'll be controlling subsystems via RS232, or IP, but probably not USB.

I think you should check out a software based home controller such as as HomeSeer, CQC, J9, Premise (it's FREE, no strings), or MainLobby. Try them all, see what you like. Search on AVS and cocoontech.com forums, and at the website forums, for reviews.

You'll be implementing subsystems, e.g. distributed audio, based on the controller you choose. Don't try to do it backwards, picking the method of DA first. That is, unless you want to make the process more frustrating for yourself.
Don't try to re-invent the wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't planning on controlling anything using USB, however was hoping to add a RS-232 USB interface
. As I said in my original post, this is a home automation idea for a tight budget.

I'll probably end up using a mini-pc/itouch with a java interface for control.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would take a look at getting a Delta 410 sound card. I have a whole house audio setup where I have a receiver for each zone. I also have heard about people having trouble with winamp and multi channel setups. I highly recommend J. River Media Center was pretty easy to get setup to control the whole house system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TEK,

This is almost exactly what I am attempting...I want to take it a step further with two ATI 5830 cards that can push 4 different video signals (virtual desktops ??) to 4 different sources...all controlled by iphones or itouches.

Let me know how your audio came out and I'll focus on the video.

Cheers,

Snuffy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts