AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of designing/building a multi use media/bar/game area and I'm trying to decide if going diy is a good option for me.
I am planning on buying a cap 4000ulf, but I'm really interested in going diy if I can meet or even exceed the performance of the cap for $3k or less.
I know I would want to be able to match the frequency range (down to 10hz). I'm open to having equal or even larger cabinets. Open to at least two 18"s or even 21"s.
The goal is to have an end game setup that won't leave me wanting more in a month.
I'm a major bass head (drummer), but it has to be clean and tight.
The space will be used for music, tv, and movies.
Ny biggest concern is that I have no idea how to tune an enclosure, so I would need plans to be able to build it. I'm very familiar with pro audio, so I'm pretty comfortable with the rest.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Brandon

·
Registered
556 Posts
I know they are a great sub but i am sure you can beat it if willing to go even bigger. In that budget you could get a pair of 24's and a amp. If you watch Stereo Integrity's website they normally run a black Friday sale And they can be had for 1000$ or less usually. Then get a clone amp and some wood and you are at budget.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, now you've really gotten me thinking about dual 24's. I didn't even know they were a possibility.
Can someone tell me which ones are the best, how they perform (frequency and spl) in a sealed enclosure (I would think ported would be huge), what size enclosure i would need, could I build one massive enclosure with 2 24's in it or would they not play well together?
Any other insights/advice welcomed.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Two 24s in the same box would be ridiculously heavy in addition to limiting placement options. On stereo integrity’s site they give recommendations for box sizes. Ported might be large but if your room is not very cooperative in the low end, then you’ll be working extra hard with sealed.

With you being a bass head (drummer), not sure if that option by itself will give you everything you’re looking for. You typically need a lot of overhead in the midbass department.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
With you being a bass head (drummer), not sure if that option by itself will give you everything you’re looking for. You typically need a lot of overhead in the midbass department.
^^ This. You'll likely be much more happy with pro drivers' output in the midbass region.

@Mach103 , have you ever heard a Cap 4kULF? And in what setting if so?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I would do one large enclosure with 2 subs I was thinking about building the enclosure in front of the orange wall in the 3rd pic. I would use the space from the wall to the edge of the tile make it inline with the bulkhead above. The height would be as tall as it would need to be to get the right amount of airspace.

I like the chest pounding feeling of pro subs, but I'm actually looking for ulf and more tactile response for watching movies. I like to feel my movies while having a bump in the audible range of the base that doesn't overpower everything else.

I have not heard the cap in person. I have just read a lot about it and watched a bunch of YouTube videos. I don't think I could ever have too much bass, but I'm looking for a true end game setup that won't leave me wanting more. The cap 4000ulf seems very impressive, but reading impressions on dual 24's...I think they may be what I'm really wanting.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I like the chest pounding feeling of pro subs, but I'm actually looking for ulf and more tactile response for watching movies. I like to feel my movies while having a bump in the audible range of the base that doesn't overpower everything else.
Your room in question is in the basement? As in, on a concrete slab? Guessing based on the pics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My biggest concern about going diy is getting the enclosure dimensions right in order to get the performance I'm looking for.
I wouldn't mind having it as two separate boxes.
Yes, the room is in the basement with a concrete floor.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You will for sure want the 24's each in their own box. Otherwise you are going to have issues moving it in to location. The sealed box i had my 24 in before we moved was about 175# and i believe the driver is another 115# so ball park 290# so a pair together would be close to 600#. If you go ported it will be even heavier. Another option would be the Devistators LLT OMEGA concept. I believe that box is in the neighborhood of 30" x 40" x 84" and one should hit 120DB or so at 10hz and peak around 140DB a little higher up. Then of course we are reapproching 500# per enclosure. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Getting meaningful 10hz response on a concrete slab is gonna take some work. You could tune low with your subs then hand off to some tactile transducers or a BOSS platform to handle the ultra low stuff.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
My biggest concern about going diy is getting the enclosure dimensions right in order to get the performance I'm looking for.
I wouldn't mind having it as two separate boxes.
Yes, the room is in the basement with a concrete floor.
Where are you located? If you're interested, I'm getting rid of my enclosures and subs. The boxes are tuned to ~14hz and have good in room response down to about 10hz. Not sure if they'd fit for you, but they're similar to the ULF4000, just bigger with less port compression and a slightly higher tune.

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
Where are you located? If you're interested, I'm getting rid of my enclosures and subs. The boxes are tuned to ~14hz and have good in room response down to about 10hz. Not sure if they'd fit for you, but they're similar to the ULF4000, just bigger with less port compression and a slightly higher tune.
What! As in, getting out of the hobby? Building something else? I’m so interested in what you’re doing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having flexibility to separate the two if I ever wanted...the weight isn't something I thought much about either. I was thinking 2-300lbs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm in Maryland. I'm definitely interested.
What are the dimensions? Do you have any pics? What drivers did you use in the boxes?

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I'm in Maryland. I'm definitely interested.
What are the dimensions? Do you have any pics? What drivers did you use in the boxes?
Here you go
NOTNYT has a killer system.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Something else to consider - unless you have the one-in-a-million perfect room (and you don't), any single location will almost certainly have huge peaks and deep nulls. The ability to locate multiple subs in locations that address each others' shortcomings is one of the biggest advantages going in home audio. I'd take two decent subs with appropriate output that were properly located over any randomly placed single sub, no matter how big or expensive.

Oh, and notnyt is a trusted source around here. I'd trust anything he built. He's also the amp guru - if you buy his sub boxes ask (and follow) his advice on amps!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The more I read on going 24's, the more I want to explore the option. If I can get good results with dual sealed enclosures I think I would be comfortable building it of I know how big to make them. I do have a friend that is a master carlender, so I could have him build them for me if I give him what I need.

Which drivers are the best? I'd rather go with the best even if I build one at a time rather than build two lower quality ones and wonder what the better ones would sound like.

How much power can they handle?
I probably would go with a used crown itech, xti, or dci amp. Possibly powersoft or labgruppen. I could run a new dedicated power line if I would need it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts