AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build a DIY subwoofer for my outdoor patio. The patio is 15'x15' covered has a single wall behind the listener with three open sides. I have a Denon 3803 AVR (125watttsx5) running a Monitor Audio 3-channel Soundbar and pair of Monitor Audio CL80s behind the listener. The location would be intended for 60% music listening and 40% watching sports and movies.

I'd like to add a subwoofer under the patio sofa which is L-shaped and allows for 10" of height, 22+ inches of width and 6'+ of length. I've tended to like sealed subs in the past, but I'm open to ported if the situation calls for it. I tend to enjoy bass that I would describe as tight and musical. I'm thinking about locating the amp inside and running power and wire to the sofa location. My budget is $500-750. I have built many enclosures for car audio, but this will be my first for a home sub.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or further questions. Thank you.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
How badly do you want to anger your neighbors?

A sealed sub outdoors probably isn't the best idea. There's virtually no room gain outside in an open environment. You'll probably want to go for a ported maximally flat alignment.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking the same thing about ported. Keep in mind the sound bar only plays down to 90 hz. I'd like a sub that can handle to low end with minimal distortion. Sound quality is my key concern. Wouldn't it make sense to go with a smaller driver, perhaps a 12"? I don't listen at super high levels outside so just looking for a sub to fill in the low end. What are the best drivers for sound quality? Was thinking 300 or 500 watts RMS.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about ported. Keep in mind the sound bar only plays down to 90 hz. I'd like a sub that can handle to low end with minimal distortion. Sound quality is my key concern. Wouldn't it make sense to go with a smaller driver, perhaps a 12"? I don't listen at super high levels outside so just looking for a sub to fill in the low end. What are the best drivers for sound quality? Was thinking 300 or 500 watts RMS.
Forget about wattage it means nothing. Is this sub going to live outside exposed to the elements?

Do you know how to use WinISD?

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
No, generally the bigger the driver the better. The larger the surface area of the cone the less it has to move to create the same SPL which means you should get less distortion. That said you probably don't want drivers firing up into the couch. You only have 10" vertical space and they might get kicked by feet if you use smaller drivers pointing out. I guess you could go down firing, but you'll need several inches of space between the driver and ground and that eats into your 10" of vertical space and drivers aren't all that shallow...

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Maybe two of these with 500W. Around 90L tuned to 30Hz with a 28Hz high pass filter. Use two 4" ports.

You need a few inches of clearance below the box for down firing drivers, so that gives you a box that's roughly 7.5" x 22" x 48" made of 18mm Baltic Birch not accounting for the air displaced by the bracing or the port.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
So, here's the plot from the sim for that sub.

You just don't have a lot of volume for a box under the couch because the enclosure has to be so thin to allow for a bottom firing sub. That pushes you into low profile / shallow drivers so they'll fit in the box. The Dayton LP 12" needs more volume than you have, so I went for the 10" x 2. I didn't look at other low profile drivers.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So, here's the plot from the sim for that sub.

You just don't have a lot of volume for a box under the couch because the enclosure has to be so thin to allow for a bottom firing sub. That pushes you into low profile / shallow drivers so they'll fit in the box. The Dayton LP 12" needs more volume than you have, so I went for the 10" x 2. I didn't look at other low profile drivers.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. So let me clarify some things.

I have 10" of height for the enclosure. Let's assume we need 3" from the bottom of the box to the ground, and assume the top of the box is 3/4" MDF. That would mean we could use a driver with 6.25" mounting depth. Or if we could get away with 2" from box to ground that 7.25" mountain depth. In that case we could even use a Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15" since it's 7" of mounting depth. However this would assume the woofer would sit against the top wall and I'm unclear if that's ok since

Also, in terms of the enclosure volume I have 30" of width and and to clarify 6 feet or 72" of length. I assume this changes the situation? Last, perhaps sealed would be better since it's going to be outdoors. What about a passive radiator or multiple drivers firing down?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I am looking to build a DIY subwoofer for my outdoor patio. The patio is 15'x15' covered has a single wall behind the listener with three open sides. I have a Denon 3803 AVR (125watttsx5) running a Monitor Audio 3-channel Soundbar and pair of Monitor Audio CL80s behind the listener. The location would be intended for 60% music listening and 40% watching sports and movies.

I'd like to add a subwoofer under the patio sofa which is L-shaped and allows for 10" of height, 22+ inches of width and 6'+ of length. I've tended to like sealed subs in the past, but I'm open to ported if the situation calls for it. I tend to enjoy bass that I would describe as tight and musical. I'm thinking about locating the amp inside and running power and wire to the sofa location. My budget is $500-750. I have built many enclosures for car audio, but this will be my first for a home sub.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or further questions. Thank you.
I'll let the cat outta the bag and play.... I want a covert outdoor sub, thinking about putting a 12" Infinity 1260w into one of these,

http://www.amazon.com/Tusco-Products-RR30SS-30-Inch-Sandstone/dp/B00M0MZC0Y

turned upside down with a stand similar to the DIY sonotube subs. It would be ported. The flower pot is sealed on the bottom, they expect you to drill your own drain holes. The upside down pot would have a top surface great for a potted plant or other decorative things. It would blend in outside

This doesn't quite fit your under the seating idea, but maybe someone will find it useful

Attachments

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
You can get the infinity 1262w for $64 each on Amazon. 4 of those sealed should do alright.
There's no room gain, so you end up using EQ to flatten out the response. Given the limited amount power / amp the OP wants to use this application has ported written all over it.

Passive radiators have to be vertical so they're out.
Most music is around 40hz+ so there's not much need for a 30hz sub.

Edit: I reread the first post. He will also watch movies so sealed is probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just to add I have an outdoor sub. -Music only-
I used a car speaker ported, but the enclosure has bed-liner [spray can] inside and out. I only bring it in during the winter. Just be sure to orient the port so water won't collect.

There are 4th order coffin type underground type prefab designs also [amazon sells them - here all the sound is produced by the port and the enclosure is buried in the ground.] These type can stay out all year, but won't play wide bandwidth.] You could make one of these but have to live with the limitations of 4th order.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
There's no room gain, so you end up using EQ to flatten out the response. Given the limited amount power / amp the OP wants to use this application has ported written all over it.

Passive radiators have to be vertical so they're out.
How about two of these subs. They have rubber surrounds: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390hf-4-15-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-468

I could use this amp which has EQ: http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nu3000dsp-inuke-3000-watt-power-amplifier-with-dsp--248-6706

What are your thoughts on that sub vs. the infinity 1262w? Would you be able to run these with ported and sealed application?

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
How about two of these subs. They have rubber surrounds: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390hf-4-15-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-468

I could use this amp which has EQ: http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nu3000dsp-inuke-3000-watt-power-amplifier-with-dsp--248-6706

What are your thoughts on that sub vs. the infinity 1262w? Would you be able to run these with ported and sealed application?
I like the 390hf, had one. I have the 1260w's and like them too. 1262w's should work great, they have a plastic cone and rubber surround, and are relatively shallow. You can use 8 of them sealed in that space with that amp, and be close to your budget.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts