AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the midst of turning a room in my new home into a projection room, and have been perusing the boards in hopes of finding some answers. I apologize, as I know these answers are here somewhere, but the sure enormity of the forums is overwhelming. I am hoping that some AV guru would be able to give me some sound advice on the following:

What type of paint to use on the surrounding walls. The wife thinks she wants a dark gray wall. So, I guess, is there a recommendation on the brand/finish/shade? Any suggestions for ceiling color?

For the screen, I see that there are many solutions. I have a completely sealed off room in the middle of the house. light really can't get in if I don't want it to. I was looking at the goo systems stuff, but wanted to get an opinion on store bought paint as well. I was thinking of a light gray shade, but was hoping for a specific idea as far as paint brand/finish/method.

Here are my projector stats:

Sony vpl-bw5

2000 lumen

7000:1

1280x480

Picture is close to 100"

Finally, the room is rectangular. I am setting up a 5.1 surround, and I am not quite sure where to place the satellites. Should I put them on the long walls perpendicular to the screen, beside or just behind the seating area, or a bit further back, on the wall parallel to the screen, behind the seating?

Thank you for any assistance anyone can offer! I can't wait to get this thing finished!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doh102 /forum/post/18241423

I am in the midst of turning a room in my new home into a projection room, and have been perusing the boards in hopes of finding some answers. I apologize, as I know these answers are here somewhere, but the sure enormity of the forums is overwhelming. I am hoping that some AV guru would be able to give me some sound advice on the following:

Awwww....when they ask so nicely, how can we refuse 'em?

Quote:
What type of paint to use on the surrounding walls. The wife thinks she wants a dark gray wall. So, I guess, is there a recommendation on the brand/finish/shade? Any suggestions for ceiling color?

BAM! There ya go! Listen to the Wife. Medium Dark Gray Wall, Flat in Sheen.

Ceiling is 3-4 shades darker Gray.

Quote:
For the screen, I see that there are many solutions.

Not really. Read on.......

Quote:
I have a completely sealed off room in the middle of the house. light really can't get in if I don't want it to. I was looking at the goo systems stuff, but wanted to get an opinion on store bought paint as well. I was thinking of a light gray shade, but was hoping for a specific idea as far as paint brand/finish/method.

Here are my projector stats:

Sony vpl-bw5

2000 lumen

7000:1 (700:1)

1280x480 (x800)

Picture is close to 100"

The real issue your facing is very low contrast. The Sony is "" 700:1" on-off. NOT 7000:1. Huge difference, that. But with a 100" screen, I'm suggesting that you use the same Mid-Dark Gray paint you choose for the Walls. Just make sure it's a neutral 7.5 shade. Even at .8 gain, with 2000 Lumens on tap, if you place the PJ at 10.5' throw you'll still manage 25 fl. of off-the-screen brightness. But that shade of Gray will do wonders to help your Blacks look a lot blacker than they ever could be otherwise.

Quote:
Finally, the room is rectangular. I am setting up a 5.1 surround, and I am not quite sure where to place the satellites. Should I put them on the long walls perpendicular to the screen, beside or just behind the seating area, or a bit further back, on the wall parallel to the screen, behind the seating?

Place them just ever so slightly behind where your head rests on the Seating, facing inward from the Side walls, at approx. Ear level or a tad bit higher. Save the Rear wall for Center Surrounds when / if you ever get'em. Is there a reason why you cannot do 7.1? If you have the available Wall space? There are so many excellent 7.1 Receivers w/1080p-1080i up conversion (1080i is your needed level at present) for at/under $300.00. If this is a dedicated Theater, haulin' up short on the Audio is not advisable. You want audio to match up with "The Big Picture", not be wimpin' along behind.

Just don't answer me if it's a "Home Theater in a Box", 'cause I don't wanna know......

Quote:
Thank you for any assistance anyone can offer! I can't wait to get this thing finished!

Well fergudnessake do it as "rightly" the first time around as possible. If you have ever though to consider the difference between "Low Key' and "Grandiose" , now is the time to do so. Judicious choices in equipment and set up can be...and is all the difference. It need not be really much more expense, just money spent wisely and with a purpose. Kickin' Arse!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts