AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading several threads on DIY lightboxes...so

I just ordered 2 front loading poster frames from spotlight displays and am about to begin construction for 2 light boxes for behind them.

Being that the frame has plexi on front and back of the poster I was thinking about just adding some type of diffusor between the rope light area and the back of the frame from spotlight. what are you guys doing for UV protection from the rope light? I found this stuff that's made by krylon and was wondering if I could spray it on the rope light side of the diffusor to protect my DS posters?

http://www.villagesupplies.net/fixatives.htm

thoughts?

tips?

·
Registered
152 Posts
John,

I have two light boxes I built using the same front load frames you have from Spotlight Displays. My boxes are 4" deep with 1/4" plywood recessed in the back so there is about 3" between the rope light and the back of the posters. That distance diffuses the light enough that I get nice even illumination of my posters. Even posters with large white areas look good. Don't know how deep you are planning on making your boxes. If shallower then you may want some diffuser. One thing I did was leave that "cling wrap" protective coating on the plexi behind the posters. This also helps diffuse the light. I did recently swap out my incandescent rope light for LED rope light due to heat build up inside the boxes. On the issue of UV protection, I cycle my posters every 3-4 months so I haven't noticed any fading of the posters. If you have posters that are going to be displayed and backlit more permanently, then it makes sense to protect them from fading. I don't know if the plexi offers any UV protection or not. Good luck with your project.

Barry

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input barry. I may use LED ropelighting in mine and make the box 1.5" deep and use a diffusor. I might try the Krylon UV spray on the backside of the styrene facing the lights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts