AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to DIY. I want to try making some power cables as I've seen on numerous DIY cable sites. Maybe even try some interconnects.

I have a thought about this wall wart power supply I have.

I downloaded a PDF on how to make a Small Wart power supply, which looks like a laptop computer power supply to me. This article orig from Nuts and Volts explains this for 7.5-9V and 1.5A.

The product I have is the Klipsch DD 5.1 Pre/Pro. It uses a 12V and 1A adapter.

Where could I go to learn about building power supplies? How do they work, and what components are needed to build one. I'm sure I'd need like some Fluke meter or something.

It's probably not economically feasable, but I'd like to investigate it. To get a new Pre/Pro would cost a lot so it probably would be feasable.

Can someone that does this kinda thing help me?

Thanks,

Doug

· Registered
1,028 Posts
I presume this component uses an outboard PS?

Building power supplies is cheap, designing them- however- is not simple. Probably the easiest way is to buy a pre-made wal wart with the proper voltages. But you may also need to check with Klipsch about any special requirements they may use in their PS- like switching vs. linear regulated, and how much ripple is tolerable.

It's probably a regulated power supply. I'll look tommorow at my old issue, but I bet you can build a Didden-Jung super regulator PS to that voltage and amperage. The instructions and circuit boards are available from www.audioxpress.com in the books/products section.

I'll add more tommorow...

(I didn't know Klipsch made anything but speakers...)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the power supply looks like any that would power portable devices, powered speaker systems, etc.

The owners manual states on their "Safety Voltage Chart" that the adapter has input of AC 120 V 60Hz and output of DC 12V,1A. I haven't examined the PS closely. It's kind of generic looking.

If you want me to get the specs from the PS I can run home and check.

The reason I wanted to check into this was that for some high end jobs people update their main power cables and power related things. I figured that replacing this cheap thing with something better would improve the sound.

They have the ProMedia line for multimedia applications.

I took a chance with the DD 5.1 as a Pre/Pro. It does all that I need. It has excellent quality, both build and sound. And it's very simple. Just a power button. Although I'm at full capacity for inputs. If I add any more stuff to my system I'll need a new Preamp.

Thanks,

Doug

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a bookmark for web-ee. On there is a Tutorials tab. There was also a link for Introduction to Power Supplies among others. Right now I'm thinking this is way over my head because I have no prior knowledge of this stuff.

· Registered
3,725 Posts
Way back when, I worked in a neurophysiology lab, where we built all our own instrumentation. My colleague got bored and decided to design all the power supplies. He opted for a highly regulated, with a temperature compensated current source, current fold-back design, . Really nice power supply. After he got fired, it became my job to build and maintain all the equipment. Those power supplies where a major PITA. Any malfunction took days to troubleshoot. I opted to just replace them with off the shelf units when they failed. Worked just as well.

If you know a lot about electronics, and want to learn even more, power supplies can be a fun project. Otherwise, steer clear.

· Registered
1,028 Posts
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find my AudioXpress article about the Didden-Jung power supply to find out about it's current handling capability. I seriously doubt 1 amp is too much, but I don't know how much headroom you would have or how it would sound in this application.

I agree with Swampfox, if you're a newbie just buy the power supply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.